• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Ravenloft one night adventure

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
One of my gaming groups is getting back together again after about a year without playing. I'm going to be running them through a single day 4e version of Ravenloft. We had played the 3.5 version up to the castle itself, with a few encounters in the castle before our year break.

So my reason for writing is thus:

What three to four encounters best captures the feel of Ravenloft? How would you outline a good Ravenloft single night 4e adventure? When you played Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, what three or four encounters are most memorable to you?

This is my idea so far:

Encounter 1: Courtyard. The party enters the inner courtyard of Ravenloft and fights the following:

2x Battle Wights (800)
2x Flameskulls (350)
4x Vampire Spawn Bloodhunters (500)

Encounter 2: Skill Challenge: Navigating the Castle.

The party has to use skills and wits to get through the horrors of the castle.

Encounter 3: The Coven. The Three Hags, resurrected from their slayings in the swamps of Barovia, summon a horrible demon in the depths of the castle.

2x Bog Hags 1000
Howling Hag 300
Mezzodemon 350

Encounter 4: Strahd's Tomb. Skill Challenge. The party must defile the sarcophagus of Strahd before facing him. If they fail, Strahd is more powerful.

Encounter 5: Strahd's Sanctum

High in the towers above Castle Ravenloft, Strahd faces the party himself.

Count Strahd Von Zarovich
Level 11 Solo Vampire Lord
Init: +7; Speed 8
570 hitpoints / 285
AC 27 Fort 26 Reflex 25 Will 30
+5 saving throw
2 Action Points

M: Strahd's Chilling Caress: +16 vs AC; 1d8+5 cold and target is weakened; save ends.

Vermin Form: Move action, recharge 5,6; shift 8 through opponents and do 3d8+5 damage.

Dominating Gaze: Minor; +15 vs Will; target creature is dominated; save ends; aftereffect; target is dazed

Strahd's Violet Blast: Standard; +15 vs Reflex; 3d6+5 damage

Frightful Presence: Standard; Burst 5; +15 vs Will; Target is stunned until the end of Strahd's next turn. Once per encounter.

Blood Drain: Standard; Requires Combat Advantage; Recharges when adjacent enemy becomes bloodied; +15 vs Fort; 4d10+5 damage and target is weakened and Strahd gains 50 hit points.

Howl of the Night: Standard; Close Blast 5; +15 vs Fort; 4d8+5 necrotic damage and push the target 2 squares. Once per encounter.

Bloodied Howl: Immediate when bloodied. Close Blast 5; +15 vs Fort; 4d8+5 necrotic damage and push the target 2 squares.

Blackstorm: Standard, range 10, +15 vs Fortitude; 4d10+5 necrotic and target slides 6 squares. Once per encounter.

Lance of Black Ice: Standard; range 10; +15 vs Reflex; 4d10+5 cold damage and target is immobilized; save ends; once per encounter.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Ahh

Good point.

The party consists of five level 8 characters including a wizard, paladin, warlock, fighter, and cleric

Jack99

Adventurer
Dominating Gaze: Minor; +15 vs Will; target creature is dominated; save ends; aftereffect; target is dazed
This is a very powerful ability. Just remember save ends on the dazed effect.

Strahd's Violet Blast: Standard; +15 vs Reflex; 3d6+5 damage
Remember a range and an area?

Howl of the Night: Standard; Close Blast 5; +15 vs Fort; 4d8+5 necrotic damage and push the target 2 squares. Once per encounter.

Bloodied Howl: Immediate when bloodied. Close Blast 5; +15 vs Fort; 4d8+5 necrotic damage and push the target 2 squares.
Easier to write the two as Howl of the Night: Standard, encounter, recharges when bloodied; Close blast 5, +5 vs fort; 4d8+5 necrotic damage and push the target 2 squares. However, most screams and deal psychic damage afaik, you might want to consider changing it.

Blackstorm: Standard, range 10, +15 vs Fortitude; 4d10+5 necrotic and target slides 6 squares. Once per encounter.

Lance of Black Ice: Standard; range 10; +15 vs Reflex; 4d10+5 cold damage and target is immobilized; save ends; once per encounter.

Looks like nice abilities, but what are they based on? I have no bells ringing when I see those.

Also, you might want to consider some necrotic resistance as well as some radiant vulnerability.

One last thing:
Blood Drain: Standard; Requires Combat Advantage; Recharges when adjacent enemy becomes bloodied; +15 vs Fort; 4d10+5 damage and target is weakened and Strahd gains 50 hit points.
I think they normally drain 1/4 of the hit points (vampire lords)

Regarding your original question, I think your plan looks good, and has a good chance of capturing the original feel. I must admit that it's been so long since I played/owned it, that it's kinda hazy.

Cheers

Remove ads