• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Round Flowchart or Checklist

Cadilon

First Post
Hello all. I am looking to get back into D&D now that my girls are old enough to play. I was never really into it that much myself, so I am the newb who gets to DM.

Having not played a great amount, I am having trouble visualizing the typical 4e round. I wasn't that much up on 3.5e, but now there are three different kinds of actions, action points, healing surges, second wind, etc, etc. Does anyone have a flowchart or checklist of a typical round I can follow so we can play around a little with 4e before June? I think if I have something we can copy on a whiteboard it'll help us all learn the game faster.

Thanks for any thoughts you have.

tafkamhokie

First Post
I think the 4e pre-release rules compilation spells it out relatively simply.

On your turn, the following happens:

Start of your turn (before you act)
You take ongoing damage and apply any regeneration. Some other effects may end at the start of your turn.

On your turn
Take one standard, one move, and one minor action in any order. Take an unlimited (within reason) number of free actions. You can substitute a minor for a move or standard and you can substitute a move for a standard. An action point gives you one extra standard action.

At the end of your turn
Make any saving throws. Some other effects may end at the end of your turn.

So a flowchart of a combat would simply start with the highest initiative order, go through the above Start of Turn, On Your Turn, and End of Turn actions, then go to the next person in the initiative order.

Cadilon

First Post
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at that. I was too wrapped up in the character and races to pull that section apart.

tafkamhokie said:
I think the 4e pre-release rules compilation spells it out relatively simply.

On your turn, the following happens:

Start of your turn (before you act)
You take ongoing damage and apply any regeneration. Some other effects may end at the start of your turn.

On your turn
Take one standard, one move, and one minor action in any order. Take an unlimited (within reason) number of free actions. You can substitute a minor for a move or standard and you can substitute a move for a standard. An action point gives you one extra standard action.

At the end of your turn
Make any saving throws. Some other effects may end at the end of your turn.

So a flowchart of a combat would simply start with the highest initiative order, go through the above Start of Turn, On Your Turn, and End of Turn actions, then go to the next person in the initiative order.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
If your players are young, I recommend keeping track of ongoing damage and saves yourself. Explain the round like this:

"On your turn, you can move, attack, and take a minor action."

Once everyone nods their heads at that, then get into:

"If you want to, you can give up your attack and take another move instead. Or you can give up your move and take another minor action."

Once that's understood:

"If you move away from an enemy who's right next to you, he'll get a free attack on you. But there's a special type of move, called a 'shift', that let's you get away. It takes up your whole move action and you can only go one square, but the enemy doesn't get a free attack."

That one's kind of complex, and if the kids are real young you may not want to bother with Opportunity Attacks at all.

OgreBane99

First Post
tafkamhokie said:
On your turn
I think you meant well, but typed it out of order.

You can substitute a standard action for a move action.

You can substitute a move action for a minor action.

OgreBane99 said:
I think you meant well, but typed it out of order.

You can substitute a standard action for a move action.

You can substitute a move action for a minor action.

No, it was right the first time. You can trade actions down (move --> minor) but not up (no trading a move up to a standard).

Remove ads