• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Stat disparities

Astros

First Post
Can anyone explain the stat disparity?

Human Bandit
Str 12 (+1) Dex 17 (+3) Wis 11 (+0)
Con 13 (+1) Int 10 (+0) Cha 12 (+1)

Looks normal right?

Human Berserker
Str 17 (+4) Dex 12 (+2) Wis 11 (+1)
Con 16 (+4) Int 10 (+1) Cha 12 (+2)

A 16 and 17+4? 12+2? Are monster stat modifiers now based upon type, ala skirmishers have 1 set of modifiers, brutes another, leaders another, etc?

Do we have any official design answers for this?

Last edited:

Colmarr

First Post
Are there level modifiers built in?

If the berserker is level 2 or 3, the level-based boosts to stat bonuses add up.

Ie. Str 17 is normally +3, but it gets a level bonus of +1, for a total of +4.

If the bandit is a lower level, it is probably missing the level-based bonus.

Edit: Checked the full creature stats. Yep, I was right.

In 4e, you get a level-based bonus to your ability modifier equal to half your level. The logic appears to be that you're no stronger than the next guy, but you have a better idea of how to apply your strength.

The "Bandit" is level one, so it's level bonus to ability scores is 0 (half of 1 , rounded down). The "Berserker" is level three, so it's level bonus to ability scores is 1 (half of 3, rounded down).

Last edited:

Kordeth

First Post
Colmarr said:
Are there level modifiers built in?

If the berserker is level 3 or 4, the level-based boosts to stat bonuses add up.

Ie. Str 17 is normally +3, but it gets a level bonus of +1, for a total of +4.

If the bandit is a lower level, it is probably missing the level-based bonus.

This. The "ability modifiers" in the monster stat blocks are actually their ability/untrained skill check bonus and thus have 1/2 the monster's level factored in.

Astros

First Post
Kordeth said:
This. The "ability modifiers" in the monster stat blocks are actually their ability/untrained skill check bonus and thus have 1/2 the monster's level factored in.

Ah I see.

So in the example it works, cuz the bandit is lvl 1, while the berserker is 3. (typo in the berserker wis/cha, fixed now was going by improper data)

And since this is a 4th lvl mage
Str 10 (+2), Con 12 (+3), Dex 14 (+4), Int 18 (+6), Wis 17 (+5), Cha 12 (+3)

All stats have +2. Makes sense now. Thanks.

Last edited:

jeffh

Adventurer
Kordeth said:
But then the question becomes why that isn't factored into the Wisdom and Charisma mods, in the case on the table.

DMReckless

First Post
jeffh said:
But then the question becomes why that isn't factored into the Wisdom and Charisma mods, in the case on the table.

Good question- maybe it's because the Berserker is a level 3 "Brute"- maybe Brutes have a penalty to Wis & Cha.. I'll see if I can find any other examples

[edit]NOPE, none of the other brutes have this issue. Stat Block error?

Last edited:

Astros

First Post
User error. I was going off bad info on the wis/cha brute scores.

But it works. 1/2 lvl is added to all ability modifiers.

And that is how you scale mobs quickly :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads