• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4th Edition/Pathfinder Campaign

tomlib

Explorer
At the moment I will be looking at my player's attack bonuses and setting npc/monster ac according to the following guidelines: Hard will require a 12 to hit for the highest attack bonus, medium will require a 10 to hit for the average attack bonus and easy will require a ten to hit for the character with the lowest.

Wow. Really great advice from everyone. I'll take a look at those books but the above has me completely intrigued.

What if all enemies defenses instead of being numbers were simply: Very, Easy, Easy, Moderate, Hard, Elite or some sort five point system with players simply knowing they must roll 6, 8, 10, 12, or 14 or some number associated with the level?

I guess that would take away from the player's glee of a +3 sword or wanting to increase their strength but 4th Edition is looking more at effects and less at numbers. I'm off on a tangent now!

Thanks again and Happy Gaming all.

Tom

Perram

Explorer
Read the Book of Experimental Might - it will solve your healing surge issue.

How does BoXM handle healing? There is a copy at my FLGS I've been tempted to pick up, but would like to know how it handles things, first, as that is the main house rule I'm looking at for my PF games.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I am using 3.x and 4E together in one of my games.

It is 95% 3.5 including classes, feats and spells.

The additions are:

4E monsters, using bloodied for full hit points and doubling all die for damage. So 2d8+5 becomes 4d8+5, not 4d8+10. They still do most forced movement, but less stunning, dazing and such.

BLB.(+1 per 2 levels on even levels) BLB applies to AC, skill rank and one (FRW)defense per bonus. So at 2nd, you get a +1 to all skills(no need to buy a rank) +1 AC and +1 to Fort, Ref or Will, and you can choose anew each even level.

Spells and magic apply the magic bonus, not insight, profane, etc etc etc so things are a bit saner, and magic items and spells are less useful for buffing.

A few things to work out are:

How to let characters do forced movement like many monsters can.

Multiple attacks or not ???

Exact level equivalents.

I'm really liking the substitutions into 3.5

Obryn

Hero
I don't have any plans at the moment to run 3e, but if I did, I'd use Trailblazer extensively. It's IMO the best reinterpretation of the d20 rules out there, for fantasy. It changes things way more than (for example) Pathfinder does, but it goes furthest in solving my issues with the system.

-O

Mark Hope

Adventurer
How does BoXM handle healing? There is a copy at my FLGS I've been tempted to pick up, but would like to know how it handles things, first, as that is the main house rule I'm looking at for my PF games.

Firstly, BoXM gives all characters bonus hit points equal to Constitution.

Then it divides hit points into Health and Grace.

Health is equal to all hit points derived from Constitution, plus one per Hit Die (so 1 point per hit die, plus your Con bonus, plus those bonus hit points equal to Constitution.)

Grace is everything else (essentially, your rolled hit points minus one per hit dice that goes to Health instead).

Grace comes back at the rate of one point per minute. Health comes back (iirc) at the rate of one per day (but I have houseruled that to the faster rate of 1 + Con bonus per day, increasing if more time is spent resting, as per the standard 3.5 rules).

You can also take a standard action to "take a breather" and regain one point of Grace per level, and you can actually spend Grace too (push yourself harder to gain some neat bonuses like an extra 5' move, a bonus to hit or even to recover spell slots).

We've been using Grace/Health in our Pathfinder games for quite some time now and it's fantastic. You can hammer on the PCs with far more foes than usual, but serious fights retain their bite. Plus it's neat to be able to signal to a player that they're out of Grace points by making your descriptions of damage more bloody and violent. It's fast, elegant and a great addition to any 3e/PF game.

Remove ads