D&D 5E 5e Al Modules/ hardbacks vs old school modules/megasdungeons PAGE COUNT?

aco175

Legend
Surely it would be more efficient if the monster stats were in with the text for the room...

eg 5 Skeletons, AC13, HP 13 each, Move 30, Str +0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int-2, Wis -1, Cha -3, AT Shortsword(5') or Shortbow(80'/320'), both +4 to hit/1d6+2 Pierce, Vuln - Bludgeon, Immune - Poison, Exhaustion, Darkvision 60, PP 9, XP 50

That's ALL the adventure needs - 2-3 lines of text, rather than a whole reprinted stat block at the back.

I like the stat blocks built into the module. Sort of like 4e where you had the complete encounter on 2 pages. For a cheap module, or one I need to print out myself, I like to take notes and track damage and such in the margins and having the stat blocks where I can find them is handy.

Older modules had 32, 48, or 64 pages total with only a couple being the cover and non-module stuff. I do not remember being able to finish most in one session but most took several sessions. Today I have been finding that a single session taking 4 hours needs about 5-7 encounters and that is about 10-15 pages if I include stat blocks. If I have a 32 page module I would think I could play 3-4 times (about a month for my group) and would find that to be a good block of play and ready to move onto another module.

Remove ads