• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5e Alchemist Base Class [updated][pdf] Feedback is appreciated!

Newti

First Post
Big Update, now available in pdf version:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9qLj8cUvh00WUR1d1pRNzRtV3c/view?usp=sharing

TL;DR

• The Alchemist is an int based full caster with 2 kinds of spells:
  • Potions: Need to be prepared in advance and reserve the spellslots until used. Restricted spell list, mostly healing and protection spells. Interesting, because it includes some self only spells like blink.
  • Offensive spells in the form of bombs. Bombs are targeted and have an effect on the target as well as on the area around it.
  • Instead of scaling the cantrips and offensive spells, the alchemist learns to throw multiple bombs in a turn and even combine them to great effect.
  • Examples include: Knock enemies prone with a large force bomb, then throw a frost bomb on top to impose difficult terrain; throw a tar bomb, then ignote it with a spark bomb; restrain them with a sticky bomb (disadvantage on dex save), then blast them with a shrapnel bomb, and much more!

Last edited:

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Allright! :D

This is a topic dear to my heart, as an alchemist was one of my two best characters in my entire 3.X gaming life :). Lot of material to cover here so I will need a bit of time to go over all of it :)

HP. I would consider giving it a D8. I see them as being a bit more robust than wizards, but maybe that's just me.

Proficiencies, staving throws, skills, starting equipment: All good. Maybe an option for a bit of armor?

No mutagen?!?! Oh man... I loved the mutagen. Is this something you are keeping for later or did you dislike it?

Bomb range: I find it a bit short, but strength adding to range is a good idea.

"A bomb explosion can be heard in a 50 ft. radius unless specified otherwise "

What?! That makes no sense to me. A fire cracker can be heard for a few hundred yards. This is a bomb, not bubble wrap... I genuinely don't understand the reasoning here.

Last edited:

Newti

First Post
Big update today, overhauled the class, brought it more in line with 5e (spell slots) and added the fluff to make it a pdf.

Also addressed your points, Ancalagon:
- d8 as hp dice does make more sense, since his spell range is much lower than other casters
- mutagen would be introduced as a 3rd guild option, but I really have trouble coming up with a good system. For now, there are no mutagens. Let me know your ideas tho!
- Bomb range is supposed to be rather short. The bomb-guild does increase it significantly tho. This definitely needs some testing to tune.
- Yeah, bomb audible radius increased to 200ft. thanks :)

Jediking

Explorer
- d8 as hp dice does make more sense, since his spell range is much lower than other casters
- mutagen would be introduced as a 3rd guild option, but I really have trouble coming up with a good system. For now, there are no mutagens. Let me know your ideas tho!

You have a bunch of Transmutation spells as potions. Maybe a feature of the Mutagen Guild gives them some type of benefit when using potions that replicate spells like Enhance Ability, Alter Self, Enlarge/Reduce, Spiderclimb, Barkskin, etc.

If you want the Mutagen as a 3rd guild option, maybe they get something similar to the Hill Dwarf's Toughness (+1 HP each level) as a class feature to make them a little sturdier. And maybe the Mutagens use themselves as the experiment, rather than try in a bottle. These alchemists can swallow potions and start breathing fire or spitting acid. Maybe lose a bit of range/AoE but increase the damage die?

I really like the class you have, there's plenty of ideas even just using the bombs and potions without having a class for them. My goblins just got a little more dangerous...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads