• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e CB's Stonefast OOC -- COMPLETE

Oh, boy. Yet another mechanic that's changed that I need to brush up on. Boo. More later on this if need be, I s'pose.

ALL: I'm not content with my posting rate for this game the last four weeks and will be working harder to get up more than one DM post per week.

tuxgeo said:
As I read it, his Sneak Attack can be used once per round with a finesse or ranged weapon if either (a) he has advantage on the attack or (b) another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of the target and is not incapacitated, and Guran is not at disadvantage. In this case, Colden is within 5 feet of the bettle and is its enemy; Colden is not incapacitated; and Guran does not have disadvantage. I think that means he can apply his sneak attack with a thrown weapon.
Just confirming that this matches my reading of the 5e RAW for sneak attack.

[MENTION=49627]Forged_Fury[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24609]Strahd_Von_Zarovich[/MENTION], I paused mid-round to let you restate your combat actions based on the beetle's death. If you are content with your die rolls for Round 2, feel free to keep them and apply them to your re-stated action (if any).

Forged Fury

First Post
Oh, boy. Yet another mechanic that's changed that I need to brush up on. Boo. More later on this if need be, I s'pose.
So basically, as I understand it, you can take up to three actions during the course of a a given round: your action, a bonus action, and a reaction. Moving is handled separately.

Your action is basically the normal stuff you can do: attack, cast normal spells, etc. In conjunction with your action, you can also manipulate an object. That allows you to do stuff like move, draw your weapon, and attack in the same round.

Bonus actions are certain spells or special abilities granted by your class or race. They usually take up a limited amount of time and you can only do one Bonus Action per round on your turn. They are similar to 3.5 Swift Actions. If you don't have a spell or class/race feature that grants a Bonus Action, you don't get to do anything with it.

Reactions occur on a turn other than your own. The most well-known reaction is the Opportunity Attack/Attack of Opportunity. You have one Reaction to use in each round of combat. Shield is a Reaction spell that is cast in response to an enemy hitting you or you being targeted by a Magic Missile spell. It immediately raises your AC by 5 points against that attack (or fully protects against Magic Missile).

ALL: I'm not content with my posting rate for this game the last four weeks and will be working harder to get up more than one DM post per week.
Post as you can, I think we all assumed you're busy with the new gig.

Forged Fury

First Post
Updated Map. I am totally guessing what that corridor looks like that has opened up to the south as well as the positions of the two beetles (the Red Xs). @CanadienneBacon Just let me know where I need to move stuff.

1) Moved Eldon to the location identified by the DM (ETA: I think he's supposed to be one more square south)
2) Moved Fulgrim to where I wanted him
3) I moved Guran since I wasn't sure if he actually moved or not with the retcon; if he stayed put behind Colden, just let me know and I'll move him back
4) Roscoe's move is pending Strahd's input

Hope that's clear enough.

ETA: Updated map and reposted below.

Last edited:

I updated the IC with additional descriptive text re: the map. The placement of the beetles is fine. If you add a pair of doors halfway down the 15' corridor containing the beetles, you'll have it.

Forged Fury

First Post
Updated the Map.

I'm not so concerned if the stuff on the far east is accurate yet. I'll fix it when we get to it.

ETA: Updated with CB's information about Eldon below. He is now where he is supposed to be. Does that mean he can take a poke at the beetle?

ETA2: Updated the map with Roscoe's request. Given his speed, I only moved him 25 feet but left him to the northeast of Eldon so that he blocks off that avenue of approach to the beetles.

Last edited:

Eldon is one square further south, standing in front of the west door. I don't know that you need to update the map with his location, but others should please be aware of who is where so that you all know what squares you can end up in during a combat round.

Forged Fury

First Post
Something I noticed that we got wrong in this fight: moving through an occupied square (even an ally) is considered difficult terrain and costs 10 feet of movement for every 5 feet moved. That's a new rule to me and will suck in these 5 foot hallways. I would suggest we establish a standard marching order, leaving a square between each of us to allow for retreat.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads