• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Cheese

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Hmmm

I was going to say "convoluted multi-classing to get mechanistic synergy advantages" but that was true in 3e too... and now I'm not even sure it counts as cheesy.

The dramatic "shunned/rejected by society" emo/goth ish characters frequently strike me as quite cheesy. Not because the concept itself is bad, but rather because it's often done so *badly*. Why does it always have to be a thiefling, or drow, or maybe half-orc? Why not, I don't know, a leper?
edit: damn it, that's not 5e specific too!

Zardnaar

Legend
My vote for the biggest cheese? Dual scimitar wielding drow rangers. Sorry fanboys (and fangirls).

Making the scimitar a finesse weapon in 5E would be pure cheese. A heavy blade designed for use on horseback is now a duellist weapon huh? They literally made 5E to enable Drizzt clones just with that simple decision.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Making the scimitar a finesse weapon in 5E would be pure cheese. A heavy blade designed for use on horseback is now a duellist weapon huh? They literally made 5E to enable Drizzt clones just with that simple decision.

The word scimitar has a wide range of meaning unfortunately. You are thinking of a cavalry sabre. However, a number of scimitars are short and slender and quite amendable to dual wielding and finesse.

In my upcoming game there will be a tulwar, a heavier non finessable weapon.

S

Sunseeker

Cheesy? In the sense of silly to the point of immersion breaking? Kender. Their presentation is laughable. Their species would be extinct. Their personalities are obnoxious, over-the-top-to-the-point-of-absurdity. They are literally written for that guy who wants to play the obnoxious, annoying, trap-triggering, gets-everyone-else-in-trouble character who contributes little to nothing to the actual game and it's all there, black and white, clear as crystal for the player as a guideline for how to play a Kender! NEEERRRRRDDDRAAAAGEEEEEEEE!!!!

Cheese in the gameist sense of being able to bilk the most ridiculous combos out of it to create something that can do everyone else's job, better, faster and with less hassle? Bard...please take the stage! The Bard is 5E's CoDzilla.

Oofta

Legend

Salvatore has admitted that the reason he gave Drizz't scimitars was because he thought they looked cool. From why-drizzt-carries-scimitars

R.A. Salvatore: Because I grew up playing hockey! [Laughter] No, the real reason is because the two traits of a fighter, whatever type of fighting you’re doing whether it’s boxing or sword fighting or whatever, you will tend to lean toward the power puncher or the finesse fighter. Drizzt is a finesse fighter because he’s an Elf, and a Drow Elf on top of it all. I want him to be doing some things that are over the top. Drizzt will get into a sword fight with someone and he’ll do a full spin. You’d never do that in a sword fight, you’ll get a sword between the [shoulder] blades. He’s quick enough he can do it. And if you think of that kind of fluidity that I was going for from the very beginning, the curved blades only add to that circular motion effect. That’s why I chose them.

So there you have it. Curved blades emphasized the circular motion of his fighting style and had nothing to do with the real world weapon.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Cheesy? In the sense of silly to the point of immersion breaking? Kender. Their presentation is laughable. Their species would be extinct. Their personalities are obnoxious, over-the-top-to-the-point-of-absurdity. They are literally written for that guy who wants to play the obnoxious, annoying, trap-triggering, gets-everyone-else-in-trouble character who contributes little to nothing to the actual game and it's all there, black and white, clear as crystal for the player as a guideline for how to play a Kender! NEEERRRRRDDDRAAAAGEEEEEEEE!!!!

Cheese in the gameist sense of being able to bilk the most ridiculous combos out of it to create something that can do everyone else's job, better, faster and with less hassle? Bard...please take the stage! The Bard is 5E's CoDzilla.

Kenders were very silly and so were gully dwarves. Really weakened dragonlance's story IMO. It might have made sense to have *one* character like that (cursed? brain damage?) but an entire race... buuuuut it's not 5e specific ;)

I like the bard being a capable class, but being a full caster? That doesn't quite sit right for me.... The "up to level 6" (and now give them cantrips) that would have been ok IMO.

I give your post 4/5 cheese slices!

S

Sunseeker

Kenders were very silly and so were gully dwarves. Really weakened dragonlance's story IMO. It might have made sense to have *one* character like that (cursed? brain damage?) but an entire race... buuuuut it's not 5e specific ;)
For some reason I could have sworn it was. Musta just been thinking of the Tanis-related quote used for half elves.

Then allow me to submit: Non-bearded half-elf depictions! It was a BIG DEAL that Tanis could grow some facial hair. Why do half-elves always look metro?

I like the bard being a capable class, but being a full caster? That doesn't quite sit right for me.... The "up to level 6" (and now give them cantrips) that would have been ok IMO.

I give your post 4/5 cheese slices!

Wooo, cheese! I think Bards would have been fine as half-casters and then give them some neat musical-related elements.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Then allow me to submit: Non-bearded half-elf depictions! It was a BIG DEAL that Tanis could grow some facial hair. Why do half-elves always look metro?

LOL - well some traits are sometimes inherited "entirely" instead of 50/50. For example, a half elf might have the full beard of a human and the fully pointed ears of an elf.

In a game I ran, there was a lot of human-elves cross so quarter elves etc were frequent. There was a dealer of elven goods (and fence on the side, slimy bastard) who claimed to be a full elf but was 90% human... he had pointy ears and that was it.

Wooo, cheese! I think Bards would have been fine as half-casters and then give them some neat musical-related elements.

And not cheap hyper-processed slices either! Havarti or something.

I think I would like the bard to have a bit more magic than the ranger/paladin... maybe half caster with cantrips? That's why I suggested 6 instead of 3. But yeah, full casters? Hmm.

Remove ads