D&D 5E 5E Dwarven Fighter build question

tltd_mike

First Post
We are playing SKT and my level 3 Battlemaster was given Gauntlets of Ogre Power. So my PCs stats are

STR 19(due to gauntlets) 13 without
DEX 14
CON 17
INT 10
WIS 12
CAR 10

Our party is a bard, rouge, hunter. They all are range heavy so i'm the only one in the fray. I'm going sword and board and i choose protection as my fighting style. Should i pick up a feat at lvl 4 or just keep boosting the stats? i'm worried I've made myself too dependent on the gauntlets unless i start pumping my Dex and go that route. So i'm just looking for some general tips and advice.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
You have made yourself very dependent on the gauntlets. Looking at yoru respective CON and STR scores, it looks deliberate. Knowing the level range of SKT, you can never catch up - level 12 just pulls you even, and that's farther then you are likely to go. So just hope you never lose them or need a 3rd attunement slot and run with it.

I'd go for feats, though by 8th a +1 to your CON would be nice. Nothing else is odd except the STR you don't care about so if you're looking for a half feat ... well, nto much there but Durable or Tavern Brawler. (Fighters already get CON saves, so Resilient (CON) doesn't give you anything.) Or if for some reason you wanted to be able to multiclass into a WIS class that would be a use for an odd ability score.

Shield Master is a good feat for a STR/DEX sword & board ... except not against giants. They are more than one size larger than you so you can't shove them.

One thing to think about SKT has giants. Giants are giant bags of HPs with low AC and really good to hit. To offset their to-hit you need a *really* good AC, not just a normally good one. To knock them down sooner you need to do loads of damage, not just normally good damage. A central approach where you are good with AC and damage means they don't drop fast and you get hit a lot - I would really specialize one way or the other.

This comes back to the +1 CON/+1 WIS ASI - a level of cleric can get you Shield of Faith for an extra +2 AC taking advantage of you otherwise unused concentration slot and only a bonus action to cast, some bonus action Healing Words to help stand others up (not enough to offset giant damage otherwise), and Bless for when you are fighting other foes and your normal AC is enough. Though if you want to go that route, I'd wait until after your get Extra Attack. Maybe go +2 CON at 4th, +1 CON/+1 WIS with your extra ASI @ 6th, and then grab Cleric 1 at 7th. Something with a 1st level feature that doesn't depend on WIS mod would be good, like Knowledge (double prof can offset low INT) or Trickster.

tltd_mike

First Post
Thanks for the advice. Ya the low STR was on purpose when i got the gauntlets. i'm kinda regretting it now but i wanted to make my stats more well rounded. When Xanders guide gets released our DM is letting us modify our characters anything i should change should i change my stats around?

Remove ads