D&D 5E 5E economics -The Peasants are revolting!

GuyBoy

Hero
The 1381 Peasants Revolt in England had the obvious long-term cause of the unfair feudal system, but this was exacerbated by the impact of the Black Death (1348-50) which created a massive labour shortage and changed the economic dynamic in the peasants’ favour, despite the attempt by the government to artificially restrict wages (1351 Statute of Labourers). Overlaying this was an unpopular war with France, a weak boy King Richard II, and charismatic leadership in the form of John Ball and Wat Tyler.
It would be cool to run a fantasy version of this, especially within a very “medieval England/Shire” type setting such as Endora. I’m already seeing a dragon called Black Death!

Clint_L

Hero
I'll also note that low-skill wage used to be 1 sp in D&D. Perhaps the much feared hero-driven inflation has finally happened - you just can't hire a local yokel for a sp these days. They want TWO silvers!
I feel like we should definitely be offering benefits as well. Particularly life insurance. Going forward, I will be a better employer for my hirelings!

Edit: actually, now I think about it this could lead to a lot of good stories...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Just want to point out that this is a myth(1). Just like the idea that all their clothes were dull brown or gray. They bathed whenever possible, communal baths were a big thing. Same thing with wearing brightly colored clothing.

That was mostly a joke, but also highlights a particular intrrpretation of bathing.
I am amused by the fifth-century writer, Vegetius, who lamented that unlike the hardy legionaries of the Republic, ‘whose only bath was the River Tiber’, the recruits of his day had to be taught how to swim because they were too used to sitting and soaking in the baths!
Medieval bathing was mostly washing in a basin, or the more laborious once a week ritual of heating and sequentially sharing a tub.
Whole pilgrimages developed around visiting the bathhouse, were pilgrims still clothed, soaked and sweated.
In rhe 15th century laws were passed that banned Cambridge students from swimming in the Cam, punishable by whipping and a day in the stocks

Oofta

Legend
That was mostly a joke, but also highlights a particular intrrpretation of bathing.
I am amused by the fifth-century writer, Vegetius, who lamented that unlike the hardy legionaries of the Republic, ‘whose only bath was the River Tiber’, the recruits of his day had to be taught how to swim because they were too used to sitting and soaking in the baths!
Medieval bathing was mostly washing in a basin, or the more laborious once a week ritual of heating and sequentially sharing a tub.
Whole pilgrimages developed around visiting the bathhouse, were pilgrims still clothed, soaked and sweated.
In rhe 15th century laws were passed that banned Cambridge students from swimming in the Cam, punishable by whipping and a day in the stocks

It's a commonly believed myth though.

On the other hand, I've heard that many people never learned to swim, even sailors. In the case of sailors, it was supposedly highly discouraged because if you could swim you were more likely to abandon ship. On the other hand it you were in the North Sea, the water was cold enough that drowning quickly before you succumbed to hypothermia may have been preferable. :)

Yes, silly me, looking to the rule book for information on how my character should interact with the world as written and drawing the most fundamental conclusions from what it contains. What a fool I am!
It's always good to recognize one's own foibles.

As has been pointed out numerous times in this thread, and thousands of times in other threads and blogs etc, D&D is not, has never been intended to be, and probably shouldn't be used as an economic model. It's intended to be a fantasy game of heroes and monsters and magic.

Even if humans as a whole could build detailed economic models that were not highly flawed for the 'real world' trying to do so in a fantasy one is wrought with difficulty. Throw in magic (mending, continual flame, create food & water, etc) and any economic model you want is even more likely to be heavily flawed.

The game rules are designed for a PC to interact with the world of an adventurer, not a commoner or any other NPC. They are not designed to be extrapolated outside of the narrow realm of fantasy adventuring. If you still really want to build a 'realistic' world and economic model, go do your research. There are gamers that have spent thousands of hours on this subject. They have great thoughts that you can use. But you will still find all their solutions are assumptions and have their own flaws.

Bring some of those ideas back here and let's go from there.

Vaalingrade

Legend
You know this isn't extrapolating parts of the world and overthinking the implications.

This is the literal thing the rules say.

Maybe let's not bring the heat on OP for just reading and reporting what they read?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I think the French still do this. Maybe just the ones I know.

You know this isn't extrapolating parts of the world and overthinking the implications.

This is the literal thing the rules say.
Ah, you've been using Google's text-to-speech! Try Google's AI. I bet it has some interesting things to say about medieval fantasy economics.

Remove ads