D&D 5E [5E] Engineer class - gadgets and guns!

ko6ux

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the feedback and I am glad you are enjoying the class.

In regards to the damage output of the Demolitions spec, you have to take the AE nature of the damage into consideration. A 5th level character fighting against other medium sized creatures can hit 1 creature for 2d6 (7) damage and an additional 8 creatures (in surrounding squares) for 1d6 (3.5) damage each, before saving throws. That's a total of 39 average damage with one attack, compared to 2d10 (11) damage against a single target for the Fire Bolt. Of course, in practice, the damage will be lower than this because you won't always have 9 creatures clustered up, you won't always hit the creature you are targeting, and some creatures will make their saves, etc. Still it's a high risk/reward play and it rewards planning and crowd control strategies. I'm wary of adjusting the damage upwards any higher, although if the damage seems low, you could always remove the save for half damage and just make the attacks always hit for full (leaving the save in place for the overloaded debuff effects).

Really appreciate the suggestions. I am currently working on a "final" update of the class wish I hope to push out in early 2017 on the DMs Guild.

BubbaGrim

First Post
I can't send you a PM.

I've started a Fantasy Grounds translation of this, mostly as a learning exercise. I can send you a copy when I'm done if you're interested.

BubbaGrim

First Post
I've finished everything but gadgets, are you familiar with FG?

Rather than building items for each gadget I'm going to render them as spells, mostly because many of them are spell-like effects.

If you decide to revise this version of the document could you send me a list of the diffs (assuming you'd like me to update the FG version), that will save me going through the document line by line for changes.

BubbaGrim

First Post
Quick question could you explain:
While this gadget is equipped the weapon it is integrated into
gains the Reload (6) trait instead of the loading trait.

My Google-Fu has failed me I can't fine "Reload (6)"

BubbaGrim

First Post
Almost done, going to go back and revisit gadgets as items, won't work purely as spells or spell-like ability.

Last edited:

BubbaGrim

First Post
Clock work trap you sure you want the secondary effect to be dexterity saving throw to avoid?

eg. Necrotic;Deals 1d10 necrotic damage at the beginning of each affected creature’s turn. Affected creatures may make a Constitution saving throw at the end of each of their turns to end the reoccurring damage.

You have necrotic requiring a Con save to end the effect, why not a Con save to avoid the effect the first time around instead of dexterity?

Last edited:

d3g3n

First Post
This is really cool! Just wanted to know if a mech sub-class (not Gundam, more like the magitek armour from ff7 or the mechanic on Maple Story) is possible? Like you get/build it, you maintain it like the clockwork companions, you get big ac from driving it (maybe separate health pool), use Intelligence modifier for Strength checks, but are slower and only have three slots for equipped gadgets. Just so theres a sub-class to go the more meat-shield direction, you know?

Remove ads