• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e EPIC MONSTER UPDATES

synergy2

First Post
Regarding Epic Bonus: You add it once, to the ability modifier. I realize now that I probably didn't word the well in the OP.

However, after I finish these drafts I am going to revamp the system a bit and the epic bonus is probably going away to be replaced with epic/divine ranks. The epic bonus was a method to separate epic monsters from regular monsters & PCs, but it is not very 5e and bounded accuracy. So I think I can solve both problems with divine ranks.

That sounds like a really good idea. Divine Ranks do feel like something that's missing. I'd recommend checking out the old Deities and Demigods book from 3.5

How did you decide on HP for the deities? It seems to mostly be their HD + 9 x their HD number and then + their constitution modifier x constitution score?

Rubies

First Post
For the elder brain if you want, you should look at one of the boss of neverwinter "Yshiggol". When I played It a while ago the fight was memorable.

dave2008

Legend
That sounds like a really good idea. Divine Ranks do feel like something that's missing. I'd recommend checking out the old Deities and Demigods book from 3.5

I have the 3e Deities & Demigods, though to be honest it is much less influential on me than the original 1e version. That being said, the divine ranks I believe started with that product and that is similar to what I am going for, but not so granular. I am think each category will only have 2 ranks (but this may change).

How did you decide on HP for the deities? It seems to mostly be their HD + 9 x their HD number and then + their constitution modifier x constitution score?

HP for gods and other unique epic monsters is HD x con mod (no epic bonus) + HD x d(max dice). So standard HP calculation, but with maximum dice. For some reason the one thing I didn't include the epic bonus in was HP calculation.

Epic creatures are calculated normally.

synergy2

First Post
I have the 3e Deities & Demigods, though to be honest it is much less influential on me than the original 1e version. That being said, the divine ranks I believe started with that product and that is similar to what I am going for, but not so granular. I am think each category will only have 2 ranks (but this may change).

HP for gods and other unique epic monsters is HD x con mod (no epic bonus) + HD x d(max dice). So standard HP calculation, but with maximum dice. For some reason the one thing I didn't include the epic bonus in was HP calculation.

Epic creatures are calculated normally.

Just an idea, but perhaps each category of deity should have three ranks? Like you have Lesser, Intermediate and Greater Deities, and then have Lesser/Intermediate/Great "power levels" within those three groups. So you could have a deity who, in the Lesser Group, sits in the middle of the pack for power

Blacklight85

First Post
Programming Note:

My plan with the current list was to complete the epic aberrations. However, after reviewing the list I just don't agree with 3e that all of these are aberrations. Thus, I will be moving the Ha-Naga and Thorciasid to the Monstrosities section. That only leaves the Hive Mother and Hadar. I am thinking of adding a beefed-up elder-brain. Any other suggestions for epic aberrations?

Up Next:

4) Moradin
5) beholder hive mother
6) The Lady of Pain
7) ?? - Elder Brain?
8) Hutijin
9) Hadar
10) ???
11) ha-naga
12) thorciasid

Dave i was rereading on my late parent's religious stuff in home and rereading the angel compendium.

Would you be interested in statblocks for the creatures of the kaballah. Namely Ein soph, gevurah, etc.

dave2008

Legend
Just an idea, but perhaps each category of deity should have three ranks? Like you have Lesser, Intermediate and Greater Deities, and then have Lesser/Intermediate/Great "power levels" within those three groups. So you could have a deity who, in the Lesser Group, sits in the middle of the pack for power

Possibly, I am still working on the concept. I do know I don't want to many ranks though, and gods aren't the only things with ranks.

dave2008

Legend
Dave i was rereading on my late parent's religious stuff in home and rereading the angel compendium.

Would you be interested in statblocks for the creatures of the kaballah. Namely Ein soph, gevurah, etc.

I haven't really thought about it. I think the Compendium of Angels does a pretty god job with them. I am not very familiar with kaballah, but I do find it most interesting. I would be willing to add them to the list, buy I want to get through the current list first.

Blacklight85

First Post
I haven't really thought about it. I think the Compendium of Angels does a pretty god job with them. I am not very familiar with kaballah, but I do find it most interesting. I would be willing to add them to the list, buy I want to get through the current list first.

I agree that the angel compendium is good but would you be interested into converting them into epic creatures?

I wouldn't mind doing it as you know i am an angel fanatic and the angel compendium was one of my many inspirations.

Also almost done with the constructs. I'm going to send them by a week or hopefully this saturday.

dave2008

Legend
I agree that the angel compendium is good but would you be interested into converting them into epic creatures?

I wouldn't mind doing it as you know i am an angel fanatic and the angel compendium was one of my many inspirations.

Absolutely, but I probably will not get to them until after I finish off the current list of epics. That being said, as more help has been trickling in, that might be sooner than I originally thought!

Also almost done with the constructs. I'm going to send them by a week or hopefully this saturday.

Great - thank you!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads