D&D 5E 5e Halcyon Academy

Jordy made his way to the deck with his meager sack of belongings. Last night's dinner hadn't agreed with him, and he was still a little queasy. He teetered down the ramp, and reached up to the dwarf with his coin.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Mim descends the ramp his coin purse jingling with his ill gotten gains and his pack heavy with the same. Mim was only more than happy to get off the boat clearly the people on it where stuffy,arrogant kill joys.

As Mim looks up at the tower walking towards the dwarf he can see himself falling from it hurtling to the ground before he swoops back up into the sky. Handing the coin over to the dwarf Mim makes sure not to meet his gaze or speak as he silently goes and stands next to Jorrick acting as if he doesn't know him. Mim really doesn't want to draw the rage of the dwarf.

As the elf accuses him Quentin looks confused at first, but quickly grows angry.

"I was a gentleman, didn't enter your room at any point, there are known pranksters and thieves among the crew and passenger and all of us could have done it at some point or other. And I'm the accused one?!
Well, if she didn't want to talk to me beacuse her assumptions, she will definitely NOT talk to me after I'm done with her.

You twitty little princess, mind twisted even for a drow, you are well taught by you almighty House and worthy of backstabbing assassins college you came to study at the Academy!"

All these thoughts ran through his mind in a second before his noble upbringing and traders interests stopped his mouth. But couldn't prevent flexing of fists, tensing of jaws and a frown. He, after all, isn't a diplomat, but a warrior at heart.

"As you wish, lady. I suggest you think on what you're saying next time before you accuse someone. It might come in handy when you negotiate with other nobles not of your House. Good bye."
-----------------------
As The Academy came into view he went into his room to retrieve his weapon and armor. Once upon the deck he remembers he's not allowed to take anything dangerous onto The Academy grounds and without further thought hurls both weapon and shield away from the dock into the deeper water along the coast. Waiting until both sunk, he tries to remember the position where they fell and comes aground offering small bow to the dwarf elder and handing him the coin.

As he joins the growing group on the dock, he measures the goliath as he did many times on the ship. "Tough competition!" Quentin thinks to himself hoping that each academy accepts more than one recruit from each group.

OOC: italics are thoughts, only speech in the text above is "as you wish..." part

Last edited:

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
The Ship
Late Fall/Afternoon
Round 0

“No...not okay…” Asherah answered Zivar. “I’ve never been on a boat before.” She tried to spit ladylike into the ocean, her tail slouching in dismay, before she turned back to give a weak, embarrassed smile, her calico fur fluffing around her a bit. “I am sorry,” she apologized. “Something is making my stomach do flip flops every time the ship moves and rolls…”

As if predicted, the ship rolled again and Asherah’s whiskers twitched. She managed to hold out this time, though.

As the day passed, Asherah spent most of it in her bunk with a bucket and a skin of water to help settle her stomach. She apologized to Korlin for her lack of friendliness, and even offered to help him look for what he lost...at least until another bout of seasickness caught her.

The next day she heard the commotion on deck and managed to drag herself out enough to see the wondrous sight of the Academy as they approached. She stared in awe and then hurried below to collect her things at the captain’s announcement.

On the deck, she looked for Korlin, but found herself in line and following Quentin down the ramp. She dug in her coin purse and found her coin, handing it over to the old dwarf. “Thank you,” she told him, “for this great opportunity.” She popped a mint leaf in her mouth, having gotten them from the ship’s apothecary to help settle her stomach and freshen her breath after being sick.

[sblock=Actions]
Action:
Move:
Concentration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ministats]
HP: 6/6
AC: 12
Unarmed: +1 1 B
Claws: +1 1d4 S
[/sblock]

tglassy

Adventurer
The dwarf calmly takes each coin in turn as the passengers come down one by one, about fifty in all. Mezzra, the drow, makes sure to stand by Dariana, and Korlin follows Asherah off the ramp, handing his coin to the Dwarf. As the number of passengers left dwindle, Merrilon appears from below deck, disheveled.

But when she tries to step on the ramp, she finds herself stepping back on to the ship, instead of off of it. She stands there for a moment, confused, before turning around and trying again. Again, as her foot steps off the ship, she is unexplicably facing the other direction, stepping on to the ship instead.

"What is the meaning of this?" she calls out. "Is this some kind of prank?"

"Where's your coin?" the captain said, walking up to her. "How many times did I tell you to have your coin."

"It was stolen from my room," she said, sniffing at the man. "Obviously I had one, or I wouldn't be here."

"You can't get off the ship without a coin," he said.

"This is preposterous, lower the magic now or you will feel the wrath of my house come down on your head."

"Wonderful. A threat. Boys?"

Two crewmen grabbed her by the arms and lifted her into the air. She began kicking and screaming to be unhanded, but the crew were deaf to her cries.

"Take her to the brig. If she escapes somehow, break her legs. We'll take her back to Port Llast. Otherwise, she'd never be able to leave the ship, and I'm not going to deal with that." He shakes his head. "I really hate people."

The last of the passengers hurry down the ramp, handing their coins to the dwarf. Once done, the old dwarf turns and begins walking, slowly, down the dock, his cane thunking with each step. The group follows at a snails pace, but no one wants to try walking in front of the dwarf after what happened to the Goliath, who is still nursing his jaw.

At the end of the dock, once everyone is on dry land, the dwarf turns around, agonizingly slowly, and appraises the group. He smiles wide, showing more than one tooth missing, and chuckles.

Then his cane glows with arcane runes, and his eyes begin to glow the same, and he slams his cane on to the ground once more. A light brighter than ten suns comes forth from the staff, blinding everyone in the area.

When the light fades, the first thing anyone notices is they are not where they were. Instead, they are in a large, circular room. The walls are fine marble, rising up fifty feet to the ceiling, which is one large stained glass window shining down on the room, depicting what looks like a human with red hair and violet eyes fighting a dragon. There is only one door in the room, and it is closed.

Around the walls are a number of items, displayed on a individual stands. Among them are one of each type of melee weapon, one of each type of bow (no crossbows), as well as a wooden staff, a metal staff, a glass staff, and three wands (one made of Oak, one of silver and one of stone). Each item is masterfully crafted, with unique designs and runes inlaid within them.

You also notice that not everyone is here. Only ten of the students are standing in this room: Dariana, Jordy, Mim, Asherah, Quentin, and Zivar are here, along with Jorrick the Goliath, Mezzra the drow, Korlin, and two others the group had not met before, a human woman with dark red hair and a severe expression, and a dragonborn male with deep blue scales.

"Isn't this so exciting?!?" came a high pitched voice as a blond, human woman appears in front of them, nearly bouncing up and down with excitement. She has a big smile plastered on her face, and is very fashionably dressed in which the predominant color is pink.

OOC: As a point of reference, when hearing this person speak, think Kristen Chenoweth

"Welcome, welcome, I'm sure you have a lot of questions but just be patient, and things will become clear. We know not everyone is going to make it to Halcyon, and we want to get this part over with so we know who to send back with the ship. Your going to go through a number of trials, and you need to be prepared."

She composes herself, then gestures to the items on the walls. "You may select any one item from this room. Be careful with your selection. These items are highly enchanted and will bond with whoever picks them up, and you won't be able to switch once you've chosen. The item you chose will grow with you as you advance, gaining power as you do and matching itself to your spirit. If you wind up staying, it will become your most prized possession, a reflection of who you are. If you wind up leaving, you will be allowed to keep the item, though it will become just an ordinary item. A memento of your short time here at Halcyon. Now take your time. The first trial will begin once you head through the door, which will not open until everyone has selected their item. Oh, and don't worry if two want the same item. Once it's picked up, another will take its place.

"Well that's all!" she says with a smile, "Good luck, I hope you survive. And maybe I'll see you at the other end of the trial. Toodles!"

And with that, she disappears in a flash of light, leaving you alone with your choice.

OOC: This is a lot of railroading, but the trials, or entrance exams, are going to be like that at times. As always, feel free to role play any of that. I won't continue the story until everyone has chosen their item. You only have racial proficiencies, but you may choose an item you are not proficient with. It is reasonable to assume that some items will be more useful in some trials than others, so if you have a class in mind, picking an item that is associated with it, while not a guarantee, will at the very least help you get a spot in the associated college.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Mim stares at the stained glass window all during the women's speech longing to see it from above. Vaugly aware of her words Mim looks around at the weapons and clacks his beak at the word survive, surley they couldn't die here.

Mim steps out from the group wandering around the outside of the room, he didn't recognize a few faces and really only knew his bunk mate from the short exchange. Opening his belt pouch Mim checks on Barnabus before letting out a few short squeaks(What do you think?).

Mim knew little of weapons other than a concealed Shiv made all the difference in an alleyway brawl, that he all ready had as he shrugs his pack about trying to remember to move it when no one was looking, weapons weren't aloud here but if survival was at stake Mim all ways survived.

Taking his time to inspect each weapon carefully imagining him self wielding the item in question before narrowing it down to a dagger,short sword and rapier. Knowing full well he had a crossbow and dagger in his pack. The short sword seemed like it could still be a little unwieldy for Mim as he was not physically strong. Finally he settles on the long slender blade of a rapier all though a tad long for Mim's tastes the blade was slender and light. Taking up the blade the Kenku gives a few practice swings before stepping infront of the door eying up the competition. Mim was no stranger to competition or surviving, these where a constant part of Mim's life growing up on the street.

Jordy started as the woman appeared, and the door rattled on its hinges.

Once she was gone, he looked around the room. He quickly dismissed the weapons from consideration - he'd never even held one before. The staves were all over twice his height - much too big. But the wands... The one thing the Lord had said before shipping him off was that there was magic in him that he needed to control. He passed over the oak wand - wood was fragile, and burned too easily, as he knew well. The stone wand looked too heavy. But the silver wand...fashioned like two entwined snakes, each eating the other's tail, it was the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. Quickly glancing around to see if anyone was watching, he slipped it up his sleeve.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Mim watched the halfling as he slipped a wand up his sleeve Mim knew little of magic, this worried him. Stepping forward he extends a hand towards the short one and nods his head slightly and gives two sharp squeeks one long and one short.

tglassy

Adventurer
As Jordy lays his fingers on the silver wand, he feels something tug at his soul, and the runes on the wand begin to glow (color is your choice).

Ever since the magic within him manifested, Jordy has felt...leaky. Like energy was flowing out of him, uncontrollably. But now, as the wand sears itself to his soul, he can feel that leak of energy be drawn in to the wand itself, as if it is somehow focusing it. As if he is better able to...control it.

OOC: Jordy no longer suffers from random poltergeist-like activity while he has this wand on his person. That telekinetic energy I now focused into the wand. This allows him to control it. He can use the wand to cast Mage Hand, and the hand is invisible.

When Mim touches the rapier, a violent shock courses up his arm, causing him to stumble away. Instantly, beside him, the woman appears once more.

"You snuck weapons in here, didn't you? And magic? This room knows, honey. We didn't tell you not to bring magic because we wanted to deprive you, or because of some arbitrary rule. We told you because the magic in this room is delicate. Because you brought weapons and magic with you, the room now thinks you already made your choice. You are not able to choose an enchanted item. You may keep what you have, and buy what you like later, but items in this room are off limits to you. And while that may not seem like much in the beginning, trust me when I say by the time you leave this academy, you may well wish you had heeded our warnings."

And with that, she disappeared once more.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Azurewraith

Explorer
Mim's face is a mixture of shock and outrage the items weren't his! He fully intended to turn them in alerting authority! He empties the contents of the backpack on the floor before protesting using the women's own voice."Not mine"

Remove ads