D&D 5E 5e Hardcore: Monster Manual

dave2008

Legend
With [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]'s inspiring post about Trolls, I have added a sextet of trolls from CR 5 to CR 11, elite.

dave2008

Legend
I have added the Yuan-ti Anathema Sovereign to the Monstrosities section. I had hoped to get a bunch of Yuan-ti variants uploaded this weekend, but the trolls took up most of of my monster making time for this weekend. So it is probably just the Anathema for now.

Onslaught

Explorer
I'm sad I don't have enought skill mastery nor time to help with this project, 'cos it's a great job!

One abbility I think is expecially interesting is the immunity to cantrips... heck, that's basic yet very very cool. If it was your own idea, kudo - if you borrowed from somewhere else, please tell me where :)!

MostlyDm

Explorer
One abbility I think is expecially interesting is the immunity to cantrips... heck, that's basic yet very very cool. If it was your own idea, kudo - if you borrowed from somewhere else, please tell me where :)!

I'm not sure you're allowed to give a single kudo.

Besides, Dave has put in some serious work, I think he probably deserves the whole pack of 'em.

Kudos again, Dave. I like the way you're trying to blend in a good amount of lore, even if I still kind of disagree with the discretized little monster types in the fashion of 4e.

dave2008

Legend

The cantrip immunity is a watered-down version of limited magic immunity (Tiamat from RoT) and magic resistance. So the cantrip immunity is new as far as I know, the concept is not. I like for two reasons:
1) It forces PCs to use limited resources,not just at-wills.
2) It prevents spamming of chill touch to eliminate regeneration.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Kudos again, Dave. I like the way you're trying to blend in a good amount of lore, even if I still kind of disagree with the discretized little monster types in the fashion of 4e.

I'm not a big fan of it either, but I wanted to be clear that my intent is not to replace the originals, just offer another option. I also think there is value in having multiple ready to go versions of the same monster. I could call them all orc and just give them different equipment and skills, but then it would be hard to distinguish them if they ever get collected into a database (which they are). So having a discrete name has its value.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I have added the Yuan-ti Anathema Sovereign to the Monstrosities section. I had hoped to get a bunch of Yuan-ti variants uploaded this weekend, but the trolls took up most of of my monster making time for this weekend. So it is probably just the Anathema for now.

Enjoying the monsters on this thread & looking forward to more.

The Anathema doesn't regenerate except as a legendary action. What is the reasoning behind that?

dave2008

Legend
Enjoying the monsters on this thread & looking forward to more.

The Anathema doesn't regenerate except as a legendary action. What is the reasoning behind that?

Regeneration as a legendary actions is essentially free (in terms of CR) because it replaces a damage inflicting option, thus your trading DPR for HP. It makes a choice and thus a decision point for the monster, this may or may not be a good thing depending on how one likes to play their monsters.

Remove ads