D&D 5E [5E] Level 6, any UA race/class combo & Gauntlets of Ogre Power -what to build?

EnWorld#0000

Villager
I'm making a new PC to join a 6th level game. I get some gold, an uncommon item and a huge latitude in creation options. I'd like to use Gauntlets of Ogre power, for backstory purposes.

After playing mostly Wizards in 5E, I'm curious about other classes.

Using the standard point buy system for abilities, and assume all the other important roles are filled in the party (rogue, cleric, barbarian, wizard), and that the adventuring day is standard length (no long rests after 2 battles, etc). Because I've played mostly Wizards, I'm used to crappy DPR ranged cantrips and spells that tend to change the encounter (like Slow or Polymorph). I'm hoping for high DPR & some reasonable versatility.

I've never played a Paladin before, so I was leaning towards one (Vengeance or Treachery) with high CHA. Then take a few levels in Warlock (for EB, etc.) or Sorcerer (metamagic) to fill in the ranged/utility gap. I've heard Darkness & Warlock's Devil's Sight or Darkness Sorcery is fun, and also that Paladin smiting is fun with Sorcery. Some of the non-standard races also look interesting, like Bugbears, Kobolds, etc.

For Paladin I like the improved divine smite at level 11. Id go Warlock and use their spells to fuel more smites after that. Plus some invocations are fun.
As for different races Id probably go with Varient human or Half orc but thats just me.

EnWorld#0000

Villager
For Paladin I like the improved divine smite at level 11. Id go Warlock and use their spells to fuel more smites after that. Plus some invocations are fun.
As for different races Id probably go with Varient human or Half orc but thats just me.

Great idea for a multi-attacking melee character, but that's 5 levels away from the lvl 6 PC I'm building.

Had a notion that (from UA) a Minotaur Death Cleric would be somewhat hard hitting in melee (with the Gauntlets), with built in battlefield control with the horns and charging, and that Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians providing steady DPR when the battle called for it.

Varient human paladin 6 of vengence.

with pole arm master and sentinel feats or

something very different

Bugbear paladin of treachery would be fun and really suite a Bugbear and his crazy god.
Throw in pole arm mastery and he would love the middle of the battlefield

smbakeresq

Explorer
I am having a good time with melee focused Dragonborn Stone Sorcerer 1/ Lore Bard 5. Stone Sorcerer gets AC 13 + CON (fits with Dragonborn) and shields (your AC will be 17 from the start) and martial weapons plus compelled duel, thunderous smite, wrathful smite and booming blade and green flame blade cantrips and then full on bard from there on. The spells I chose were Spirit Guardians and Aura of Life of course. Songs of great heroes and good vs evil, dirges of death of legendary figures were the theme.

Since you start at level 6 and know you are getting Gauntlets this is even easier build, you can don't have to pump STR. You only get one attack but you can always add damage to it.

If you want to go Bugbear Paladin, try Shield Mastery feat and ask your DM to let Powerful Build apply to that feat, so you can be considered large and then shove Huge creatures around. I certainly would allow my players to do that, it seems reasonable. You will be using it all the time and will be getting advantage plenty, giving yourself a better chance to land that doubled smite.

Fuchi Miller

Explorer
Try a wood elf monk. Focus on Dex and wis. Use the str from the gauntlets to grapple people. Eventually when you get to level 9. Grapple them and take them up a cliff and hidden lotus them.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
With the gauntlets, you have the ability to maximize another stat entirely, have a high Con, and still have a 19 Str for melee attacks. Since your attack stat is already maxed, you can get good feats at level 4. I would lean Paladin (maybe Aasimar?). You want Extra Attack to leverage your high Strength, and high Con and Cha will make your major saves amazing. Polearm Master at 4, then GWM at 8.

Khobahi

First Post
I was building a character just like this for a one-shot that got the same gauntlets.

Only was making level 10 but I assume you will be going beyond which could really make the character come online with more sorc levels for spell slots and ending with your choice of 11 Pal / 9 sorc or just 6 pal // 14 sorc.

V-Human 6 Veng Paladin / x Sorc
13, 10, 16,8,10,16 stats with standard point but +1 con/cha. 13 STR due to multiclass rules and I think its baseline stat so gauntlets dont help here. Aim for plate mail and defense fighting style to have 19 AC (boostable with shield of faith, Haste, Shield spell and magic items) I went with a Greatsword build and grabbed GWM at level 1 and blade mastery at 4. however going for S&B is fine to if you want the defensive boost.

Sorc you can choose from a variety of sub classes I was going to go Wild Magic just for fun (with the knowledge my DM was going to allow surges off Paladin things including smites). Getting Booming blade/Green-Flame Blade for quicken into 2 melee attacks. Also Lightning Lure intrigued me to pull stuff to me for attacks.

Remove ads