• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

5e Magic the Gathering

Amatiel

Explorer
Does anyone use the 5e material that has been released for MtG ? I really like a lot of the material that WotC has released about this. Some real flavor. Not being familiar with MtG though, I was curious what the pantheon of gods etc were for MtG ?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Planes in MtG typically don't have gods. There is the plane of Theros (think fantasy Greece) which has 14 or 15 gods and Amonkhet (Think fantasy Egypt, this has a planeshift article which might have information on them) which had a handful as well (Although all of the gods in Amonkhet worked for the Nicol Bolas, the dragon planeswalker). Most other planes in MtG had no actual gods, or at least no gods that appeared as cards, and instead just had beings that were worshipped. On the plane of Zendikar, the 3 ancient gods were based on vague memories of the Eldrazi, plane destroying aberrations. I think on Dominaria they worshipped primarily ancient planeswalkers in much the same way as a god. Serra and Freyalise I think were worshipped. There is also Gaea which I'm not sure if she was a god but I believe she was worshipped. She might have been the spirit of the plane of Dominaria or something. Someone else might know more.

If you do a google search for the setting names, you should find more information as well. They tend to have articles describing the planes and I know the Theros articles talked quite a lot about the gods.

I don't know so much that there's no gods, but at the very least they generally aren't active in the way that D&D gods are.

In Ravnica, the published setting, the primary organized religion of the city-plane is the one maintained by the Orzhov Syndicate. However, that organization is one part religion, one part bank, one part debtors prison, and one part organized crime. As far as I'm aware, there's no actual deity. There is evidence of gods existing, but they seem to be more along the lines of cosmic horrors or demons.

The Selesnya Conclave also operates temples and has some vaguely religious things going on, but they're very loosely organized in the way that druids often are.

The other white-linked guilds, the Azorius Senate and Boros Legion, act as the city's government and armed forces, respectively. There are creatures in these guilds which would be categorized as celestials in D&D (Angels in the Boros Legion, for example) but there's no religion involved.

There are several characters throughout the game that could be classified as demi-gods, particularly any Planeswalker character before the Great Mending, primarily Urza, but also Serra and Freyalise. Yawgmoth is another powerful character. Another would be Avacyn, the Archangel. All of these characters have long since died, as far as I'm aware, however. Magic tends to kill off the main characters on most planes they visit. Magic also has Eldrazi on the deity power level scale, which are much more literal Cthulu monsters.

Frankly, given the power scale that some characters reach in Magic, I would assume that actual deities in the multiverse of Magic's settings would be more along the lines of the deities in Marvel (The One Above All or Love/Chaos/Order) and DC comics (The Presence). Unfathomable, unknowable, and, for all intents and purposes, omnipotent and omniscient. Gods that actually appear in Magic storylines or featured as cards are probably best described in D&D terms as demi-gods. Actual gods are not featured on cards simply because planeswalkers have no control over them whatsoever.

Amatiel

Explorer
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I was unsure how to run clerics as regards chosen divinity / domains. But i'd gather in that type of setting it's more of an ethos/organization thing than an actual god.

Count_Zero

Adventurer
In the world of Kamigawa the kamis are like a lesser version of gods.

I have searched in the wiki and I have found this. I hope this could be useful for you.

https://mtg.gamepedia.com/List_of_gods_and_deities

I'm noticing that a lot of those deities also overlap with Planeswalkers (which feels legit - considering what the player is capable of doing in the actual card game), so that's something else to keep in mind.

Remove ads