• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e, No expansion: Sorc5/Wlock2. Help with some numbers.

Tru3Dispa55ion

First Post
It is not worth it, is it?

rather than leveling up the sorc side, i'd have to level the wlock side, and that is just a long time to wait to level the sorc side again.

Pact of Tome (attainment at Character LVL8) could easily be replaced by Ritual Caster (I could get at level 4)

Pact of Blade does not get awesome till Level 5 Wlock (double hit invocation) AND as a sorc main probably should avoid being melee (most battles would end before the sorc runs out of Sorc Points and Spell slots, so melee option (as its best when ur out of spell slots) becomes less attractive. I mean, why get Sorc5/Lock5 and get Double-hit, when you could be Sorc10, with way stronger spells, increased spell slots, and increased sorc points? Although, it would be super cool, Haste+misty step + double hit + mirror image would have been cool

Pact of Chain is certainly tempting (i really like the sprite option) but again, instead of sorc8, i would be sorc5/wlock3, sacrificing spell slots and levels, sorc points, and other features i would gain. Additionally, I can get find familiar through either magic initiate or ritual caster, and using MY action so that the sprite has 25% chance to make target fall unconcious is cool, but, again, i could spend my action, instead, on casting a major spell.

So, what about eldritch blast + hex + agonizing blast?

Right now I have a +3 charisma mod

Assuming that the beams both hit (because its like rolling disadvantage, one of them is liable to miss):
2D10 (two beams) + 6 (2xCharmod) + 2D6 (Hex)= Average 22 Damage

Has the highest damage potential in all of cantrips

HOWEVER,

hex takes up concetration. As a sorc, you have other concetration spells, like HASTE, WEB, LEVITATE. If one could maintain Haste over Hex, which one would they choose?

I guess the strongest argument this build has is "what happens when you're out of spell slots! you'll be doing 4-6 dmg per firebolt, if it hits)

Counter-argument: by the time I am out of spell slots, the fight is winding down, and my companions are pulling cleanup duty.

Ultimately, is it worth it?

Maybe if I started off as a warlock, then it would be worth it.

But the fact that you have to lag leveling Sorc-side makes it not.

mellored

Legend
It's fairly balanced either way.

If you want a bigger boom, go sorcerer.
If you want something more reliable, go warlock.
If you want something in between, take some of each.

Though i would avoid bladelocks.
Better to be a tomelock, and get shillelagh, booming blade, and green flame blade as your cantrips. You'll can then use Cha to hit things, and have rituals.

Tru3Dispa55ion

First Post
booming blade and green flame blade doesn't seem to exist in my PHB

At any rate,

Could somebody who HAS done either the Sorc-Lock or a pure sorc, or both,

and share their feedback, please?

Tru3Dispa55ion

First Post
Yes. last paragraph under Eldritch Invocations in the PHB - any time you gain a warlock level you can swap out an invocation for another one you could learn at that level. A single-classed warlock would likely be doing it at least twice over the course of their 20 levels.

Do Eldritch Invocation Prerequisites go by CHARACTER level or CLASS level?

Tru3Dispa55ion

First Post
Thanks, so far, guys.

Also,

where does it say in the 5e PHB that when casting something as a ritual, it does not expend spell slots.

found it: page 201-202

Last edited:

Tru3Dispa55ion

First Post
I want to talk about Multiclassing and Cantrips now.

What if I was a level 3 Wlock, and when i leveled up, I multiclassed to Sorcerer, becoming (wlock3/Sorc1)

Would I learn TWO NEW cantrips from the Sorc's Spell List in that moment?

Or will I learn FOUR new cantrips from the Sorc's Spell List, as described in page 101 in the PHB, under "Spell Casting" > "Cantrips"

or Do I learn ZERO from the Sorc's spell list, and would have to go with the Wlock's table, which states, "2 cantrips known @ 3rd Level"

RulesJD

First Post
Not going to provide sources because frankly that takes too long.

1. Multiclassing into or out of Warlock makes ZERO difference to your spells/cantrips known. Check out the multiclassing rules for spell slots. Warlocks with Pact Magic are a special breed and have zero impact. So your most recent question means you'd get as many new cantrips off the Sorc table as a level 1 sorc gets.

2. I've played high level pure Sorc and high level Sorc/Warlock. Sorc/Warlock is infinitely better. Immediately take Warlock 3 and go Pact of the Tome. You can select cantrips from ANY class, including Guidance (the best cantrip for a spell caster). Pick up the Book invocation for rituals from ANY class.

Why do you want to do that? Because then you can spend your ASI on feats/ASIs you actually want, like Elemental Affinity (fire) or +cha. Higher charisma = higher spell save DC = beats everything else for usefulness if you can take Elemental Affinity at level 1 (assuming variant human). Hex + EB + Agonizing Blast = fantastic single target damage that likely will do some temp HP self-healing from Fiend.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Not going to provide sources because frankly that takes too long.

1. Multiclassing into or out of Warlock makes ZERO difference to your spells/cantrips known. Check out the multiclassing rules for spell slots. Warlocks with Pact Magic are a special breed and have zero impact. So your most recent question means you'd get as many new cantrips off the Sorc table as a level 1 sorc gets.

Except Warlocks get you Warlock Cantrips, so your number of cantrips known does change. And Warlock spell slots gives you extra low level spell slots at the cost of eventual high level slots, so it also effects your spell slots.

So yeah. Multiclassing into Warlock makes a huge difference.

bid

First Post
What if I was a level 3 Wlock, and when i leveled up, I multiclassed to Sorcerer, becoming (wlock3/Sorc1)
"You determine what spells you know and can prepare for each class individually, as if you were a single-classed member of that class."

You have 2 sides just like frosted mini-wheats.
You are a level 3 warlock and gain all its features.
You are a level 1 sorcerer and gain all its features*.

Since warlocks use pact magic, you don't even need to merge both sets of spell slots.

* Well, except for the Con save which is not listed in the MC proficiencies.

Remove ads