• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e, No expansion: Sorc5/Wlock2. Help with some numbers.

Tru3Dispa55ion

First Post
Hello people!

As the title suggests, getting help with some numbers would be quite peachy.

I'm currently a level 3 sorcerer in our campaign. I picked up a pen and some paper and outlined my spell, feats, etc. selections per level up, to the end character level of 20, being sorc18/wlock2 (or sorc17/wlock3, i havent completely decided yet)

At level 4 sorc, I am torn between Ritual Caster (find familiar, and identify, plus whatever spells i come accross), or magic initiate (final list of cantrips would include 'friends' and 'shocking grasp, plus Find Familiar, a spell that only needs to be cast once a week or something).

At Lvl 5 sorc, i'll have fireball, and counterspell.

Lets get to my character at level 7 (sorc 5/wlock2). CORRECT IF WRONG (and provide pages in the PHB 5e), PLEASE!

Sorc Side:

5 Cantrips known
6 Spells known
Slots:
1st= 4
2nd= 3
3rd= 2

Wlock Side:
2 Cantrips known
3 Spells Known
Slots:
1st= 3

Putting it together, a character level 7 (sorc5/wlock2) would have:
7 Cantrips known (2 of which have to be from the wlock spell) list
9 Spells known (3 of which have to be from the wlock spell list)
Slots:
1st= 7
2nd= 3
3rd= 2

Lets get specific:
5 Cantrips from sorc side: Fire bolt, Ray of frost, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Mending
+ 2 cantrips from Wlock side: True Strike, Eldritch Blast

6 Spells from Sorc side:
1st= Shield, Chromatic Orb
2nd= Levitate, Blindness/Deafness
3rd= Fireball, Counterspell

3 Spells from Wlock side:
1st= burning hands, hex, command

Feats would include:
From the sorc side= Wild Magic Surge, Tides of Chaos, some Half-elf features, for now, lets say Ritual Caster (Find Familiar, Identify, would it cost 1st lvl slots to cast these?), Quickened and Twinned spell features. Am i missing anything?

From Wlock Side= Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast, Light Armor (and simple weapons), and my side of the deal with my Fiendish Patron (haven't discussed with DM yet).

Is my math accurate of what would happen if I multiclass?
What are some downsides to multiclassing wlock, coming as a sorc? Because eldritch blast even goes well with spell bombardment, the last sorcerous origin i'll gain, what other such input would you have for me? Would the spell slots be interchangeable, as in be able to cast sorc spells with wlock spell slots? would wlockspell slots work with "flexible magic," the feature that trades spell slots for sorc points? would you be able to use quickened, and twinned spell features with wlock spells? Last, but not least, would eldritch blast be casted as a level 5, at this point? In other words, does spells level with Character level or class level?

Be sure to include PHB 5e Page number! THANKS!

I've ran out of time, but i have many more questions. Let us have a fullfilling discussion!

-Tru

mellored

Legend
Warlocks have 2 level 1 slots, which recharges on a short rest.

Which spells you know level with class level.
When picking your known spells, act like your a sorcerer 5 (upto level 3) and only a sorcerer 5.
Then, separately, pick warlock spells like you where a warlock 2 (upto level 1), and only a warlock 2.
Page 164.

After that, any spell or feature can use any slot from any class. Doesn't matter where it comes from. You can cast hex with a sorcerer slot, quicken a warlock spell cast in a sorcerer slot, or trade a warlock slot for more spell points. (i suggest you use warlock slots first, as they recover faster).

Cantrips are based on character level. So yes eldrich blast would be level 5. That also means you can't twin it.

The downside to multiclassing is that trade a few big spells (fireball, twinned greater invisibility) for more smaller spells (quickened eldrich blast, hex).

Tru3Dispa55ion

First Post
Warlocks have 2 level 1 slots, which recharges on a short rest.

Do you mean LVL 1 Warlock? Also, where in the 5e PHB does it say Warlocks recharge spell slots in a short rest?

In page 165 "Multiclass Spellcaster" table, it says a level 2 has 3 1st level slots, and in page 106, the warlock table stipulates 3 Spells Known at level 2

So, this means, a level sorc5/Wlock2 would have, from the WLOCK-SIDE, THREE 1st Lvl Slots, and THREE 1st level Spells known, is this correct?

bid

First Post
So, this means, a level sorc5/Wlock2 would have, from the WLOCK-SIDE, THREE 1st Lvl Slots, and THREE 1st level Spells known, is this correct?
Nope, p164 pact magic.

You are a level 5 sorcerer and know 5 sorcerer spells up to level 3.
You are a level 2 warlock, know 3 warlock spells (all level 1) and have 2 level 1 slots every short rest (p107, spells slots).
You have 5 levels of multiclass spellcaster and have 4 slot-1, 3 slot-2, 2 slot-3 every long rest.

Overall, you can cast 6 level 1 spells in a single battle.

Tru3Dispa55ion

First Post
You are a level 5 sorcerer and know 5 sorcerer spells up to level 3.

In page 100, Sorcerer Table says L5= 6 Spells Known. Am I missing a rule?

OH, something else just hit me like a brick. You're right. It actually says it in page 164 that warlocks has spell slots differently.

Okay.

How about Cantrips; do I learn two new cantrips from the Wlock Spell List?

Tru3Dispa55ion

First Post
A warlock 2 can learn two invocations. Lets say repelling blast, and agonizing blast

Once that warlock levels to three, and gets "Pact of the Tome," could said warlock trade an invocation, lets say repelling blast, for "Book of Ancients" Invocation?

Remove ads