D&D 5E [5e] Paladin Build help

Drasek

First Post
I'd seriously considered taking Resilient (Constitution) - many paladin spells are Concentration and your character is set up as a front line fighter, so you'll be taking hits.

After the most recent ruling, Shield Master is still good, but probably not worth it until lvl 11+ when spells like Disintegrate become more common.

Sentinel really depends on if you are going to have other characters adjacent to you (so you get a free shot if the enemy attacks them), or if your DM has enemies move away (thus provoking) for tactical reasons frequently or not. If the bad guys just walk up to and stand there attacking the most heavily armored guy in the party...it's not that great a feat. If they are constantly trying to get past you to target the squishier members, then it's fantastic

That's another question. How often do paladins cast spells in 5e? By reading around, I thought that spells are mostly used for smites and just a couple of spells. Are "casting paladins" viable?

Yes you would be fine with 18 Cha. I'd max Str for sure though.

What is the rest of your party? That'll determine whether or not Sentinel is worth it. My favorite part of it is getting a relatively reliable reaction attack. If you have any other melee character, you just go fight beside him. He benefits too from your Aura of Protection. I'd skip Shield Master.

I don't think we are the best party there is out there. Barb-Pally-Warlock-Sorc.

CTurbo

Explorer
That's another question. How often do paladins cast spells in 5e? By reading around, I thought that spells are mostly used for smites and just a couple of spells. Are "casting paladins" viable?

I don't think we are the best party there is out there. Barb-Pally-Warlock-Sorc.

Paladins have spells for a reason. Choose an Oath that has interesting spells to you and you will cast them. I've played a few Paladins and I think it's at least 50/50 spells to smites from what I've experienced. MAYBE 60/40 in favor of spells.

If you have a Barb, Sentinel will be worth it. I was a Vengeance Pally with Sentinel and we had a Wolf Barb in the party and we were best friends lol. We fought side by side all the time. He gave me constant advantage and he attacked recklessly, and anytime he got attacked, I was able to use Sentinel. He also got my Aura bonus to his saves. We were pretty unstoppable in combat.

I wouldn't take Res(Con) with an even Con score. You're already going to get a boost to saves from your Aura. Like I said earlier though, I wouldn't like having a 12 in Con.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

They don't tend to cast a lot, but they do cast them. In your case, top concentration spells you might cast would be: Hunter's Mark (oath spell), Bless, or Shield of Faith depending on the situation.

Hunter's Mark will be better than a lvl 1 smite if you expect to be in a long fight (and you can still smite on top of it).
Bless is simply the best buff spell in the game.
Shield of Faith is +2 AC for when you just need to focus on being a tank.

Remove ads