D&D 5E 5e Paladin Oath of Vengeance

Vulf

First Post
That Fighter 3rd attack pushes that damage over a Paladin's. With resources, one short rest per day is enough for a Fighter's action surge and Superiority dice to meet the damage of putting all your slots in to smites. Fighter gets even better if your party can find multiple dice one-handers like Flame-Tongue or even a Dragontooth Dagger.

And a dex Paladin without 13 strength can not take any multiclass options that would make Dual Wielding viable.

That Fighter 3rd attack pushes that damage over a Paladin's.
Not for dual-wielders between the two classes, it doesn't.

Fighter 11 with TWF style does maximum of 4d6+20 = 34/round
Paladin 11 (no TWF style obviously) does maximum of 3d6+3d8+10 = 34/round

Same damage. Except the Paladin probably took Defense since they can't get TWF style, so they also have a +1 AC to show for it. If the Fighter takes Defense instead of TWF (which would actually not be a bad idea), the Paladin would be ahead.

Incidentally, for every other same-style comparison between the two classes, the Fighter is ahead at Lv. 11. Slightly so for Dueling + shield, a good deal so for Great Weapon. Which means TWF is an active liability for the Fighter class but actually an asset for the Paladin.

With resources, one short rest per day is enough for a Fighter's action surge and Superiority dice to meet the damage of putting all your slots in to smites.
Fighter 11; shortswords; 65% base hit chance; 1 short rest = 2 action surges/day, 10d10 Superiority Dice/day

Additional damage of 2*.65*(3d6+15) + 10d10 (assuming all SD used on maneuver hits) = 88.15/day (not including crits)

Paladin 11; all spell slots for Divine Smite

Additional damage of 4*2d8 + 3*3d8 + 3*4d8 = 130.5/day (not including crits)

One short rest certainly won't do it. Two short rests and the Fighter is only barely ahead (132.2). Action Surge with a d6 weapon is kinda puny. Paladin also pulls ahead of a Fighter with 2 short rests at Lv. 13 with his 4th-level spell slot and stays ahead until Lv. 18 with the Fighter's 2nd Action Surge and d12 Superiority Dice.

Last edited:

Vulf

First Post
Except that Fighters gain an additional feat over paladins at level 6, so they can afford to have Dual Wielding, means they can draw two weapons in a single turn, have +1 AC, and wield d8 weapons instead of d6s. They also do not need to maintain concentration on spells.

Additionally the Riposte Maneuver includes another weapon attack in addition to the superiority die. Not accounted for in any of your numbers.

And then there are other issues. Resilience Constitution is essential for Paladin builds, which means with point buy, the Paladin that is trying to not drag down his group is only going to have 18 Strength/Dex until 11. The fighter will have 20 in the stat sooner. Unless you decide to start as a human and feel that having 14 Charisma until level 12 isn't a liability. Because the single biggest DPS increase you can provide is usually casting and maintaining Bless for the full duration, that's part of why Paladins make such great support characters.

So a more apt comparison with just simple +1 magic weapons is:

Paladin: +9 to hit and 3d6+11 +3d8

to

Fighter: +10 to hit and 4d8+24

And those Action Surges and Ripostes have to include the added damage from magic weapons as well. And that doesn't even compare to when you start getting weapons that add 1d6 or 1d8, such as Sunblades, Dragontooth Daggers, or Frostbrands.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Resilience Constitution is essential for Paladin builds
Why? Those bonus action Smite spells you're not using? The concentration buffs you may or may not be using (probably not since TWF is foe the offensive Paladin)?

There's no reason for a TWF Paladin to take Resilient Con. They don't make concentration checks.

Besides which you're both off topic. Two Weapon Fighting is just as effective, if not superior, for the Paladin vs. the Paladin's other options. That's all that matters.

To be fair, Bless cast before the start of combat does give the Paladin himself (plus 2 allies) a nice DPR boost.

A non-Variant Human dual-wielding Paladin can put off Resilient (CON) later than most, however. Haste (for Vengeance) doesn't become worth a cast with just a shortsword until Lv. 11+, so Lv. 12 to get that feat works out well enough.

Last edited:

Tyrs13

First Post
I actually have Resilience Con as my 4th level feat, we are 5th now in CoS. I would say it has been envaluable as I am the bless not for the group. And it has saved me a lot of trouble with just regular Con saves vs nasty sickness or poisons.

The only feat I am feeling came out kinda short ended is my Heavy Armor Mastery. I think since level one 1/2 dmg just ignored it or out right knocked me out in 1 shot despite it.

I manage to keep up with dmg in the party fairly well thus far. My GM let me take the TWF style so it edges me out a little bit on my off hand.

I think the paladins strength comes from his spell slots and other features more than his raw Weapon Dmg. In all fairness fighters can be the kings there, it's their thing.

mellored

Legend
You can use Str when attacking with finess weapons and TWF, and thus still qualify for defensive dualist.

As for what to pick, i suggest inspiring leader. But +2 str also works if your party needs more damage.

Remove ads