5e Playtest - Caves of Chaos

renau1g

First Post
The party:

WalkingDad - High Elf Wizard - Elephan Moonsong
mudbunny - Dwarf Fighter - Slysa Daface (still to be confirmed)
hafrogman - Dwarf Fighter - Illov Clearaxe
Charwoman Gene - Dwarf Cleric - Nyx Thurbinder Thulehammerson. (Thurb)
Malvoisin - Human Cleric - Mijab Hillal
stonegod - Halfling riogue - Hob of the Shire Bington

The situation:

You come from a variety of backgrounds and although you may not (or maybe you do) know the individuals in the private study of King Monarch Plotdevice, you have heard rumours that vile evil humanoids have kidnapped his son, Prince Macguffin Plotdevice, who had been out hunting alone, as those in the Plotdevice line are wont to do.

The missive delivered by a courier at your place of residence/training/employment/church and asked you to come to the castle at the appointed time. That a request from your king was to be made of you, and you surmise that the day has finally come where you may prove your worth (to yourself, your patrons, or whomever), or you're looking forward to a large pile of gold reward, whatever your reason, your chance has finally arrived. You've seen other potential heroes/mercenaries/men-at-arms march bravely out of your small city in The Kingdom, yet none have returned.

As you sit and enjoy some fresh beignets and coffee, ale and bread/cheese, the door opens and a small contingent of men enters dressed in the bright yellow tights of the Plotdevice family and form two opposing lines. They pull trumpets to their lips and blow a few notes, the lead one announces "I present to you his highness, King Monarch Plotdevice." the man says.

The king steps forward, his hair, beard and mustache are a snow white color. The man is neither hated, nor beloved by his subjects, he has not put a stop to rampaging bandits in the west, but nor has he allowed them to completely overrun the Kingdom.

r169_457x256_2485_Ivan_2d_illustration_portrait_fantasy_king_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

He speaks now, "Hail adventurers, as you have no doubt heard, my only son, Prince Macguffin Plotdevice has disappeared whilst hunting alone. Gods I wish he would allow his guards to accompany him. He was a few days ride to the south, only a few hours from the dreaded Caves of Chaos, a wretched hive of scum and villainy where vile, evil humanoids are known to live and launch attacks at the outlying farming communities. There are rumoured to be a number of tribes of those accursed humanoids living there. I would task you with going out to find my one and only son, the heir to the throne. For this task I would reward you handsomely" the King states, as he looks over the group, he adds "Sure are a lot of you dwarves....." to nobody in particular

[sblock=ooc]
Ok, let's get the ball rolling. Feel free to describe your character if you'd like. Tomorrow evening I hope to get the next post up, arriving at the Caves [/sblock]

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
51800d1338958011-5e-d-d-next-playtest-ooc-full-illovclearaxe.jpg

Illov clears his throat noisily, brushing at his tunic. He has managed to overcome his dwarven heritage a little and avoided quaffing* his coffee, but he has managed to spill powdered sugar all down his front. He speaks with a ridiculous Russian** accent that's he's surely not going to be able or willing to keep up through the entire adventure.

"Vell, da! Ve explore caves, ve vant Dwarfs. Is vhat ve do!"

* It's like drinking, but you spill more.
** Not that any of you have ever heard of Russia.

Malvoisin

First Post
A tall dusky man in flowing white robes and golden turban steps forth, bowing repeatedly with palms pressed together. Glittering, dark eyes peer forth from beneath bushy black eyebrows, and his dark oiled beard extends almost to his waist.

"Oh great and powerful King Plotdevice, this one is known as Mijab Hillal. To join these fellow stalwart souls in the search for your absent son will be the greatest of honors for this unworthy servant of the Radiant Lord Pelor, may his light never cease to illuminate the King's face! May this humble one be of some small service to these good gentlemen in the ministrations of Pelor's healing grace, as we plumb the unknown depths of these so-called Chaos Caves, bringing radiance to the pitch dark depths..."

Mijab seems as though he might be about to go on for some time in this fashion, but then, seeing that there are others who might like to speak, cuts himself short. He straightens from his bowing, and steps back to sip at a cup of honeyed tea.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
High+Elf.jpg

"Your highassness, I'm an elf, not a dwarf, but it is common to your humans to confuse the other races. Some even were not able to tell my gender, although I'm one of the most manly looking elves ever. There are even poetry about the manliness of my look and my long staff... which is like the robe a sign of my status as wizard.
I accept your offer to bring back your progeny fast. As your people are so short lived, time might be of essence."

The elf wizards speaks up. He doesn't bother to tell his name as this King will surely forget it anyway...

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
A dour dwarf with a coal black beard and hair stands erect. He wears an elaborate suit of chainmail. marked with mountains, the symbol of Moradin.

Thurb speaks, "Mighty Monarch Plotdevice, I shall take it as a point of honor to return your son to you, alive or dead."

renau1g

First Post
"Well, I hope that we can achieve success without him being dead, my dear son is the most precious thing in the world to me" the ruler replies after Thurb's comment.

"By the gods, you are a man elf? I didn't know such a thing existed." he replies incredulously to the elf.

He turns his gaze to the smallest member of the group, the one who has yet to speak and waits for the halfling to address his request.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
King Monarch gazes intensely at the what he initially takes to be the groups other member. Instead, it turns out to be a diminutive set of armor that must have been swapped for the rogue, who is presently coming from behind the tall elf. It might seem his simple pouches were larger, maybe filled with some fine silver, but that is obviously wrong. They were hidden inside his hat.

badger1.jpg

'pologies, mo'arch. Us Bington's are small, see, and our bladder's are'n't what you call strong. The halfling makes a small hand, doffing his hat (which shows nothing inside, of course). Hob Bington, of the Shire Bingtons, at' yer service. We'll get'ya boy, or you'll pay us anyway.

renau1g

First Post
The king jumps at the appearance of the halfling, "Oh my stars and garters, you surprised me. I was sure you were standing over there a minute ago" he says, rubbing his eyes.

"Ah, ok, well, I am glad for such stalwart adventurers anxious to help my son" King Monarch Plotdevice states and turns to walk away. A small, wretched looking man waits behind while the entourage leaves.

"Well, I am to lead you to your horses and I have been given this map of the area to give to you. I have heard that one of our premier mapmakers is working on another map, one more detailed. Perhaps in time after you have explored the Caves you can meet with the weem and he can provide you a more detailed one" the man states while handing someone over a copy of the map.

[sblock=Map]
Caves+of+Chaos+-+player+map.jpg
[/sblock]

The party is able to mount up (a pony has been offered to the halfling) and rides off onwards to adventure!

You have been passing through the forest for some time, it grows denser and darker (spooky!) until the misshapen trees suddenly give way to a ravine. It's walls rise steeply to either side at a height of 100 feet. The opening you are in must be 200 feet wide and the ravine runs at least 400 feet west. At varying heights on all sides of the ravine are caves that stand ominously open. Among the litter of rubble, boulders and dead wood on the ravine floor, you see the bones of humanoids and animals. You have discovered the Caves of Chaos.

[sblock=ooc]
Congratulations, you've arrived. Now to pick a cave. Please choose by tonight (EST) and provide how you're planning to approach so I can update tonight. It is now late afternoon, the sun beginning its descent[/sblock]

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
"Okay, the dwarves will need to show these others how this is done."

"I say we kick it off by just going to the first cave on ground level to the left, The other Dwarves as a front rank, me right behind em, the elf next to me, and the other two in the back."

"Simple, to the point, direct. Let's go find us a McGuffin!"

[sblock=ooc]I'm putting this out there as a default. Thurb will defer to any other ideas.[/sblock]

hafrogman

Adventurer
Illov descends from his horse, rubbing his tailbone.

"Oh, iz good to be off horses. Back is killink me."

He looks around at the ravine, counting the number of entrances on his fingers. After a moment's brief concentration he scratches at his beard and bobs his head in agreement with Thurb.

"Da. Von cave is as good as another. Ve go closest."

He loosens up his axe from its straps and gets ready to go adventuring.

Remove ads