• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Psionics Conversion.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Meh, if you spent 40 PSPs on a disintergrate attempt at low level, you were pretty much done for the day.

Psionicist: "I summon all my inner strength to rip that Ogre apart with the power of my mind"
DM: Rolls dice "The Ogre feels a slight tingle and not much else"
Psionicist: "Sorry guys, I'm all out for the day."

It made them different from Spell Casters that they could throw their entire reserve into a single power.

In fairness, the inability to run out of spells/powers for the day is new to the game as of 4e.

And not to nitpick, but in 2e psionics the player generally rolled the dice; the powers were essentially skill/ability checks, with extra effects if you rolled the exact number you needed for the power to work.

And the game has plenty of "potentially blow your spell" type effects now; flesh to stone, for example, has no effect if the target makes its save.

Come to think of it, I also think that the tension of going for broke in using a power made for some pretty memorable scenes back in the day, too.

Revan79

First Post
I've spent a few days reading up on the different versions of Psionics and 3.5 seems to be the easiest fit, for now. The powers just need a little bit a re-write and the powers need to be slightly condensed for 5e. It's a lot less work that I initially thought but Play-tests and comparisons are yet to be done.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
And the game has plenty of "potentially blow your spell" type effects now; flesh to stone, for example, has no effect if the target makes its save.
Flesh to stone doesn't quite compare to what [MENTION=6808678]Awesome Adam[/MENTION] was talking about, though.

Flesh to stone is spend 1 spell slot and the effect is all or nothing based on a single die roll; what was mentioned about psionic disintegrate was using it at the lowest level you could possibly do so, when it was not just 1 of a few uses of powers you could afford (similar to how 1 6th level spell slot is one of many slots once you gain your first), but rather was all or at least the majority of potential power uses for the entire day because you barely had more total PSPs than it cost to use (equivalent to that flesh to stone costing not just a 6th level spell slot, but something like 15 of your 16 total spell slots, leaving you with a 1st level slot for the rest of the day).

Come to think of it, I also think that the tension of going for broke in using a power made for some pretty memorable scenes back in the day, too.[/QUOTE]

Green1

First Post
I've spent a few days reading up on the different versions of Psionics and 3.5 seems to be the easiest fit, for now. The powers just need a little bit a re-write and the powers need to be slightly condensed for 5e. It's a lot less work that I initially thought but Play-tests and comparisons are yet to be done.

I am kind of liking the fact that you just have disciplines rather than 20 pages of powers. Psionics in 3/3.5 always felt like just a caster with spell points. The rolling for power DCs in 3.0 led to mostly underwhelming results. Particularly at low level.

But, I could see homebrewing some powers from 3.5/ 4e into a discipline if a player came to me with a certain flavor that is not presented in the 5e Unearthed Arcana playtest. Not that I forsee that happening.

manuzed78

First Post
My english is limited but here are my thoughts :
-i'm like you : i miss old editions and particularly 2nd
-IF i can help and participate, i would love that, is there anything like a collaborative project ? a web site ? a wiki or something like that?
-please don't forget the will and the way because psionics are for Athas first ;)

at least i foresee generic powers that you can enhance, shape diffrently with more psp, not levels or magic like...

Revan79

First Post
My english is limited but here are my thoughts :
-i'm like you : i miss old editions and particularly 2nd
-IF i can help and participate, i would love that, is there anything like a collaborative project ? a web site ? a wiki or something like that?
-please don't forget the will and the way because psionics are for Athas first ;)

at least i foresee generic powers that you can enhance, shape diffrently with more psp, not levels or magic like...

The main reason I'm working on a conversion is for Dark Sun.

So far the best match that I have found for a 5e Conversion is actually Pathfinder's Unleashed Psionics. Just a few tweeks here and there and you have a pretty viable system.

The main reason I haven't gone with a AD&D conversion is the Math. The system was clunky and pretty broken when you compare it to how 5e runs, so without a complete re-write of the system I chose to use a system that is already similar to 5e.

Is anyone else here still hoping that 5E Unearthed Arcana's take on psionics was just a bad dream and that Mearls Lucas has taken his Jar-Jar mystic home and thought better of things?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads