D&D 5E [5e] QL's Al-Qadim Game

Quickleaf

Legend
Soft Whisper or Moonspinner might work...of the two, the Soft Whisper seems like an easier tie-in, since there's no evidence of a heathen faith at work here. And additionally, it seems easier to hook into a variety of situations. Let me see who this Hakiyah is...

Yes. I can work with Hakiyah...and since the Soft Whisper protect the interests of the Grand Caliph, it works very well.

Oh! I found something interesting...when the Grand Caliph's Vizier Alyana al-Azzazi lights a candle at the mosque of Hakiyah the Honest in Huzuz, a threat to the Grand Caliph's rule is soon targeted by the Soft Whisper.

That suggests one (or more) of a few possibilities to me...

1. That your PC might be under assignment from the Grandmother of the Soft Whisper with a hit list to take down the leadership of the Brotherhood of True Flame.

2. That your PC has a personal vendetta against a particularly vile flame rising mage in the Brotherhood, so the call is both personal and political.

3. That your PC is tasked with making sure the Amir of the jann gets back in line, either helping the Amir if beleaguered, or assassinating him if he's become disloyal.

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm thinking...all of the above? :)

Oh! And another thing for you and [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] to consider is how his PC Akilah, a ranking cleric of Hakiyah, relates to your PC, a holy slayer devoted to Hakiyah. Does Akilah know your holy slayer PC's true identity/mission?

Tell me about this Brotherhood of True Flame. I am unfamiliar.

As presented in the original AQ setting, the Brotherhood of True Flame is a monolithically evil secret society dedicated to eradicating or dominating all mages (esp. elementalists) who wouldn't submit to their will. A core of their philosophy is that fire magic is inherently superior to other forms of magic. They are very widespread, operating covertly within cities or from hidden desert/mountain strongholds. I'm expanding a lot on that using my own ideas too.

EDIT: I stumbled on a bit of inspiration about the Soft Whisper in Assassin Mountain...

OOC: Poison: The Soft Whisper is said to use Silver Spark— a luminescent liquid said to be derived from distilled moonlight and bottled passion—a heady, gaseous poison that is so rich and musky that victims cannot resist breathing deeply when a holy slayer offers it.
This perfume-poison takes effect in 1-6 rounds and causes ten points of damage each round for the next 2-8 rounds. Victims who breathe it voluntarily suffer a -4 penalty to their saving throws. If the save is made, there is no effect.

OOC: Vow of Secrecy: One of the most powerful tools of the assassins is the silence that surrounds them. Assassins never speak of their affairs, and most holy slayers prefer death to capture. Among the Everlasting, this secrecy is enforced by a magical oath overseen by a tasked oathbinder genie. The Soft Whisper and the Grey Fire use the same system.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
My sense is that we each serve Hakiyah in our own way. I would treat a cleric of the goddess with respect and perhaps even some deference...but without specific orders to collaborate from Grandmother, I would not reveal my nature or purpose to him unless it became vital to success. This is in equal measures to preserve my ability to act, and to shield the priest from the burden of responsibility of my actions. And of course, because secrets become more precarious as they are known to more.

Quickleaf

Legend
I don't have Akilah's stats anymore but I remember some things.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Here are the extent of my notes for Akilah, might help you...

OOC: Vizier Akilah
♀half-elf / noble (vizier) / cleric of Hakiyah (truth) 11 / LG
AC 18, initiative 12, passive perception 24 (dark 60 ft), save DC 17, hp 69
Midani (Common), Elvish, Jannti (Primordial), Celestial

If you guys want to do BBCODE character sheets, that's fine. I'm assuming there are lots of templates out there? If not I can dig one up?

Alternately, if you want to use PDF character sheets and upload those, that's fine too. I highly recommend the More Purple More Better Character Sheet.
[MENTION=6866331]Foxbytes[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION], I have PDF copies of your sheets. Need me to upload those for you?

Quickleaf

Legend
Speaking of money...how shall I deal with starting funds/equipment?

Equipment: Normal starting equipment, plus 50,000 gp party pool to draw from (I believe it was only drawn down -2,500 gp already) but need consent of others to use it.
Starting Magic Items: Choose one option:
Choose 1 rare magic item and 3 uncommon magic items.
Roll 2 times on Magic Item Table B and 4 times on Magic Item Table A (see playtest docs).

The OP has details on character creation now.

Jago

Explorer
Seeing as The Crash wiped out my entire account, I'll actually need that Playtest document again myself: I didn't actually save it anywhere, go figure.

Remove ads