D&D 5E [5e] QL's Al-Qadim Game

Shayuri

First Post
Alright, here's my base build...may tweak some, but I think this is pretty solid.

Haven't had a chance to play much with high level 5th ed builds, and never tried a monk before. There's a certain amount of horror in this build. I would never, ever want to fight this character. Ever.

The combat style is premised around ambush. Spider climb and stealth and darkvision, combined with cheap monkery like teleportation, will give Ankabut frequent opportunities to use the Assassin class ability (rogue multiclass) to make four attacks (with flurry) at advantage, that will all be critical hits if they hit. If that doesn't instantly murder the victim, she shifts up to a game of attrition.

Cunning Action and Mobility let her move up to 55' feet, make 2 attacks and then move ANOTHER 55' suffering no attacks of opportunity. Any of this movement can be up walls or on ceilings. If the arena has dim light in it, she can teleport around as well. If they use ranged attacks, she has Deflect Missile. If they use spells, she has Evasion and Stillness of Mind. And all that assumes she can't find a place to hide within 55' of the target. If she can, she has advantage to stealth and they have disadvantage to find her. If they start getting clever and Readying actions, she can mess with them with Minor Illusions, so they never know if a sound or shadow is her, or just another false image.

Her attacks are with a sword of wounding. Its damage can't be healed outside of a rest. Each turn she can inflict a 1d4 necrotic damage effect that stacks with itself. The name of the sword is Theriajidan. It is an ancient word that means Knowledge of the Certainty of Oblivion.

Ankabut's armor class is fairly weak for the level at 18, but her main defense is being very hard to pin down. In a confined space with few exits, she's at a serious disadvantage. If her mobility is impeded by a spell or other effect, she's in for a very bad time. :)

[sblock=The Spider]Ankabut
Neutral Human Monk 8 / Rogue 3
Background: Urchin (City secrets)

Str 9
Dex 20 (+1 racial + 2 lvl 4)
Con 14 (+1 feat)
Int 10
Wis 16 (+1 racial)
Cha 11

HP 10d8+8+22
AC 18 (10 +5 dex + 3 Wis)
Prof Bonus +4
Init +5
Speed: 55'

Race
-------
Human
- +1 to 2 attributes (Dex, Wis)
- Bonus Skill Proficiency
- Bonus feat

Class
-------
Monk
- Unarmored Defense: AC is 10 + dex mod + wis mod when not wearing armor.
- Martial Arts: Use Dex with unarmed or monk weapons, unarmed or monk can do 1d6 damage, bonus unarmed atk
- Unarmored Movement +15
- Ki 8
- Slow Fall (40 points)
- Deflect Missiles (1d10+13, if damage reduced to zero 1ki to counter attack by throwing ammo/weapon back)
- Extra attack
- Stunning Strike (1 ki, DC 15 con save or stunned 1 turn)
- Ki strike (unarmed attacks count as magic)
- Evasion (no damage on dex save, half on dex fail)
- Stillness of mind (action to end charm/fear effect)

- Monastic Tradition: Way of Shadow
** Cast Darkness, Darkvision, Pass Without Trace or Silence for 2 ki
** Gain Minor Illusion cantrip
** Teleport from dim/no light to dim/no light up to 60', gain adv on first attack afterwards

Rogue
Sneak attack - 2d6
Expertise - Add prof bonus to 2 skills (athletics, perception)
Cunning Action - Bonus action to Dash, Disengage, Hide
Rogue archetype - Assassin
- Prof with disguise kit, poisoner's kit
- Assassinate: Critical damage on surprised foes

Proficiencies
--------------
Weapons: Simple, Shortsword
Armor: None
Tools: Thief tools, Disguise kit, Flute, poisoner's kit
Saves: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution

Feats
------
Bonus - Resilient Constitution
4 - Dexterity ASI
8 - Mobility (+10 speed, ignore diff terrain on Dash, enemy she attacks cannot OA her due to movement)

Skills
-------
Acrobatics +9
Athletics +7
Perception +11
Sleight of Hand +9
Stealth +9

Languages
----------
Common, Jannti

Equipment
-------------
Cash: 10gp

Weapons
--------
Unarmed, +9, 1d6+5
Darts (10), +9, 1d4+5, 2.5lbs, thrown 20/60
Theriajidan (shortsword, monk), +9, 1d6+5, 2lbs

Armor
------
Common Clothes

Gear
-----
Backpack, 2gp, 5lbs
- Blanket, 5sp, 3lbs
- Hooded Lantern, 5gp, 2lbs
- Oil (3 pints), 3sp, 3lbs

Belt Pouch, 1lb
- Small knife, 1lb
- Caltrops, 1gp, 2lbs
- Memento (trinket) 22

Magic
Theriajidan -
An old blade who's name means in a long forgotten tongue, Knowledge of the Certainty of Oblivion, Theriajidan is a weapon that, like time itself, whittles its prey down until nothing is left. The metal of its blade is stained black, and this stain contaminates the wounds it makes, preventing even magic from closing them while always chewing at the edges and making them slowly worse and worse. A surgeon can clip away the infected tissue along the edge of the wound, but it is only a delaying tactic. Death claims all in the end.
* Short sword of wounding (wounds can only be healed by rest, 1d4 necrotic damage/turn as part of attack damage, stacks with self)

Cloak of the Shifting Dunes
The illusions worked into this cloak make it, when activated, seem to become composed entirely of sand that's constantly whirling and swirling in a sheet. When gathered around by the wearer, it changes color and texture to perfectly mimic whatever is nearby, creating a nearly perfect camouflage.
* Cloak of Elvenkind (Adv on stealth, others have disad on Perception to find)

Goggles of Night (darkvision 60' when worn)
* Slippers of Spider Climbing (climb speed = to walk speed)

* attuned[/sblock]

Last edited:

Jago

Explorer
However, looking over their rules for "composite longbow", and I have to say giving it flat-out 1d8+1 damage is not good rules design. A better treatment of composite bows would be ranged weapons that can be fired using Strength modifier for attack/damage bonus, instead of Dexterity; possibly, the bow's pull would be designed for a specific Strength modifier.

I will probably drop the Composite Bow in favor of just a standard Longbow. I think the idea of a Composite Bow needing a base strength (like 15 for the Long, 13 for the Short) and you use the Strength or Dex for the damage bonus, that would be much better than a flat +1.

Can't wait to get my hands on a Khopesh next level >.>

Shayuri

First Post
Yeah, next level is huge for me. Defensive Duelist and Uncanny Dodge will fill out my defensive reaction suite nicely.

Are we rolling hit points or taking averages?

Quickleaf

Legend
Yeah, next level is huge for me. Defensive Duelist and Uncanny Dodge will fill out my defensive reaction suite nicely.

Are we rolling hit points or taking averages?

Averages.

More specifically, the rounded up averages given in the PHB.

Last edited:

Jago

Explorer
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], we must duel at some point. The two dexterous swordmasters clashing, the fastest blades in the East.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] Ankabut's build looks very solid, scarily so!

I was hoping you'd be able to playtest something new too? It looks like you've made an entirely PHB build? Nothing wrong with that necessarily, as it does give a "baseline" character against which to compare the other PCs.

Shayuri

First Post
Ah yeah, well...there haven't been any UA's released for monks or rogues that go in the direction I'm going with this concept. :)

A Mystic might be cool, but that would be a very different character.

Jago, that'd be fun!

Ankabut doesn't generally like to 'show off,' but I'm sure we could find a place and circumstance that was discrete enough to convince her to meet you on the field of honor. :)

Oh god, now I'm thinking about Mystic assassins. It could totally work too, and it would be -terrifying-. (>_<)

Quickleaf

Legend
Is there still room for one more? I missed the initial recruitment before the crash but would love to join if you have the room.

Yes :) 6 players is my limit, so yeah there's one more spot.

What's your interest? Do you have experience with Al-Qadim? And since we've never met, how would you describe yourself as a player?

Remove ads