• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Thateous

Explorer
Ok so what I have so far. Just need to work on the backstory
Jacques Foret
Level 4 French African V.Human
Archery style Sailor with battlemaster
Feats 1:Firearm Expert 4:Gourmand
Str: 13 dex: 16 con: 18 Wis: 15 int: 11 cha: 6
Fortunes: Pirate Hobby (Cooking), Code of Honor (Follows Orders), Armed to the teeth, Affliction (maimed throat)

No solid backstory at the moment, just ideas floating in my head.

Sent from my SM-G955U using EN World mobile app

Quickleaf

Legend
Ok so what I have so far. Just need to work on the backstory
Jacques Foret
Level 4 French African V.Human
Archery style Sailor with battlemaster
Feats 1:Firearm Expert 4:Gourmand
Str: 13 dex: 16 con: 18 Wis: 15 int: 11 cha: 6
Fortunes: Pirate Hobby (Cooking), Code of Honor (Follows Orders), Armed to the teeth, Affliction (maimed throat)

No solid backstory at the moment, just ideas floating in my head.

Sent from my SM-G955U using EN World mobile app

Good start on your cook/musketeer!

You might get some inspiration for your background – specifically why Jacques is interested in La Gloriosa – by checking out these bonds (copy-pastad from OP):

[SBLOCK=Bonds]1. Land Grant & Liberty: A land grant to a plantation in the Spanish Colonies was written to your family, but was aboard La Gloriosa when she sunk. Currently that plantation is illegally governed by a cruel lord, and seeking out La Gloriosa is your only chance of claiming your family's due and liberating the subjugated slaves.
2. Curse of Aztec Gold: You have a cursed Aztec gold piece taken from one of the French bucaneers who raided Cartagena; a mambo told you the only way to rid yourself of the curse is to return the coin to the chest it was taken from - sunken with La Gloriosa.
3. Vengeance or Justice: As a denizen of Cartagena, you seek vengeance (justice?) on those bucaneers who returned after Baron Bernard Desjean de Pointis' raid to massacre, pillage, and rape. A traitor aboard La Gloriosa had a secret ledger with names of the bucaneers in French employ, a ledger now lost under the sea along with La Gloriosa.
4. Sacred Relic: A sacred relic of your people was aboard La Gloriosa when she went down. This might be a holy relic of the Church, a magic anvil of the dwarves, seeds for an elven tree of life, or plans for a gnomish chronometer.
5. Loved One: A close family member or beloved was aboard La Gloriosa, and nightmares have warned you they've been cursed to the Abyss. You seek out the sunken shipwreck to find a way to free your loved one.
6. Secret Agent: Secret documents were lost when La Gloriosa went down, documents proving the Spanish planned to betray one of their allies in the impending War of Spanish Succession. As a Kingsman/Queensman for a monarch, you seek out these documents to weaken the Spanish war effort and prevent a terrible betrayal.
7. Life Debt: Years ago Captain Javier Hernandez of La Gloriosa saved your life. Having found a water-damaged message in a bottle written in Spanish from a J.H. you are convinced Captain Hernandez is alive somewhere, so you seek out La Gloriosa to fulfill your life debt.
8. Price of Freedom: A bucaneer or French privateer taken captive by the Spaniards during the raid on Cartagena, your life was spared as you protected a governor's daughter from the depredations of unruly bucaneers. You were recently offered liberty in exchange for finding out what became of La Gloriosa.
9. Arcane Rivalry: You are a longtime magical rival of Baron Bernard Desjean de Pointis who led the French raid on Cartagena. Unbeknownst to many the Baron is a student of the arcane arts and you are confident a grimoire of great magic was secreted on La Gloriosa to keep it from the Baron's hands. Acquiring this grimoire would certainly help in taking the now fabulously wealthy and famous Baron down a notch.
10. Gold, Glory, and Adventure: You're a consummate treasure hunter - the more impossible the score, the greater the attraction. La Gloriosa represents ultimate glory and wealth to you, and even more than that the ultimate challenge. Win the prize, and your name will go down in history.
[/SBLOCK]

Obviously, those are just starting points. If once catches your eye, great! Use it! Or feel free to use the game background or your own knowledge of history / imagination to adapt and create your own.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] - You'll also find that probably everyone here would be willing to mesh back stories with you, if you would like a tie- in that way.

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Matthan

Explorer
I'm on my phone this week so long posts are hard. [MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] I'm excited to meet your cook!

I know we are at the tavern. Does anyone have specific goals for this scene?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
[MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION]

1) get more drunk.
2) any new rumors about anything of importance, mostly Wallace's progress.
3) recruit more crew (we mentioned having time to do this once we secure the ship, but we need crew to fix the ship so...).
4) get more drunk.
5) general piratey mayhem ;)

Thateous

Explorer
Thanks [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] I do plan on using your fame as a Captain to pull my character into the crew. Will read backstories and see if there is a sufficient place I can wiggle my character into. Going for the vengeance bond saying that his throat was maimed by one of the buccaneers and is trying to find them.

I imagine that wisdom would be the attribute that feeds cooking. Agree, disagree?

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] I do plan on using your fame as a Captain to pull my character into the crew. Will read backstories and see if there is a sufficient place I can wiggle my character into. Going for the vengeance bond saying that his throat was maimed by one of the buccaneers and is trying to find them.

I imagine that wisdom would be the attribute that feeds cooking. Agree, disagree?

Wisdom - intuitive cooking "by feel", Iron Chef style
Intelligence - textbook cooking, The French Gourmet style
Charisma - down-home feel-good cooking that's more about good times than fine flavors
Dexterity - frickin' Hibachi chef cooking
Strength - stirring a pot of gruel for cyclopses
Constitution - surviving Hell's Kitchen

;)

Yeah, Wisdom sounds right.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Wisdom - intuitive cooking "by feel", Iron Chef style
Intelligence - textbook cooking, The French Gourmet style
Charisma - down-home feel-good cooking that's more about good times than fine flavors
Dexterity - frickin' Hibachi chef cooking
Strength - stirring a pot of gruel for cyclopses
Constitution - surviving Hell's Kitchen

;)

Yeah, Wisdom sounds right.

Roflmao!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using EN World mobile app

Thateous

Explorer
Jacques Foret

progress is being made. Let me know if i missed anything... gave him the Military Rank fortune offset with Haunted. Having severe writers block for what should be a simple backstory.

Just some notes:
Maimed defending his commander. Due to the loss of his voice he was deemed unfit for duty, however his commander, feeling indebted to him, essentially made it so he was put on extended leave with no return date.
Cooking background French, from culinary school, and West African, from his mother, cuisine.
How famous is the captain? Would I seek her out based on her fame? Has there been whispers that she sails for La Gloriosa?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads