[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
Hm, do druids get a Speak with Animals ability?

I need my book in a PDF so I can sneak peeks at it at work! :.-(

I feel your pain! Hmm, I am 98% sure that Speak with Animals is a level 1 divination (ritual) spell. So as long as you prepare it, you can cast it at-will when casting it as a 10-minute ritual without expending a spell slot.

Unsung

First Post
1st level divination ritual, all correct. I can only assume the way rituals work in 5e is the reason why it's not a class feature. 5e does seem keen on avoiding redundancy. Although given that it only lasts 10 minutes at a stretch, it seems like it could be frustrating in a pinch. Maybe a druid could train in some version of the forest gnome's Speak with Small Beasts trait, as if it was a language?

Shayuri

First Post
I don't mind it being a ritual. I just had mischief in mind for it, if it was something druids could do naturally. :)

It's all good then. Carry on.

Quickleaf

Legend
Sweet! I don't suppose that's something a kenku could learn as well? Using Mimicry? No big deal if it's not, but something to keep in mind if it is.
Haha, that's actually a great idea. So...my thinking is that yes, you could mimic animal calls, but to understand what you're "saying" and what's being "said" back to you would be a Nature check, or perhaps as a language you could select Bird Language?

I've actually studied some bird language, so I can recognize the five main bird calls (baseline calm, alarm, territorial aggression, mating call, feed me) across most bird species. One hike I actually did call and response with a Malaysian thrush who landed nearby for ten minutes, and man! That little guy had a lot to say, even if I wasn't sure what half of it was B)

Sorry, tangent... If you want something more "foolproof", you could make a custom Fortune augmenting your mimicry. I know I made a bunch of Fortunes for you to choose form, but hopefully by now you guys realize I'm very game for trying new things out and house ruling stuff. Fortunes are a good place to customize. :)

Unsung

First Post
Ah, but an interesting tangent. How was Malaysia?

I intend to make the most of Caillou's downtime. Plenty of skills and tool proficiencies I want more of. Understanding animal calls seems like it'd be in his wheelhouse-- maybe something he used to know before he was first captured and taken to Europe, and is only now re-remembering. Kenku who are raised in the flock are probably more skilled mimics than Caillou is, so that's something that can come up in play.

Quickleaf

Legend
Ah, but an interesting tangent. How was Malaysia?
Haven't been, but I'd love to go! There are Malaysian thrushes here in Hawaii, one of the many transplants, like me ;)

I intend to make the most of Caillou's downtime. Plenty of skills and tool proficiencies I want more of. Understanding animal calls seems like it'd be in his wheelhouse-- maybe something he used to know before he was first captured and taken to Europe, and is only now re-remembering. Kenku who are raised in the flock are probably more skilled mimics than Caillou is, so that's something that can come up in play.
I dig it. Once your characters get on the water, I expect multi-day or possible multi-week journeys to be commonplace, so plenty of time for downtime activities.

And I have a plot twist involving island kenku, Caillou, and Sir D'Arcy that should be a lot of fun :)

Unsung

First Post
Shades of the Island of Dr Markov... Though I actually picture Sir D'Arcy as being a good deal more rational, if not necessarily saner. Looking forward to it!

Hannerdyn

Explorer
[MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]. Wow. Regardless of how badly Hugo loses the arm-wrestling match it was a blast. You're a badass DM and a hell of a writer. Thank you. That was fun.

Remove ads