[5e] Spell & Crossbones

Shayuri

First Post
Well, you know, Nia's fine with some theatrics in the interest of maintaining that magical 'edge,' but she's also got a generous helping of the paranoia. I expect hanging out around pirates and hunting horrible monsters would do that to a person. Heck, that's probably the origin story of her 'Observant' feat. :)

Quickleaf

Legend
Hah! There is always the "because...pirate, savvy?" defense ;)

At the suggestion of [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] and with [MENTION=11530]Kira[/MENTION]ya Ti_Drekan's help I set up a Community for our game, coalescing my scattered posts in one place. It was a hefty bit of copy/pasts, but hopefully it is helpful for navigating everything! Spell & Crossbones Community Cheers :)

Hannerdyn

Explorer
Hey, I'm still around. I had a busy week at work topped of with a weekend of - get this - watching my own children while my wife did stuff outside the house. The 50's are shaking their head in paternalistic disapproval.

Anyway, I should be able to jump in a few times this coming week at least. I probably can't keep up at Queenie's / Shayuri's level, so I'll accept being just short of awesome.

(Haha. Dwarf guy made a short joke.)

Quickleaf

Legend
santa-claus-pirate.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays !

"But...do-do we have to fire the booty, Cap'n? Couldn't we fire, ye know, the cannonballs like the other crews?"

"Nonsense, now load one with the curly ribbons in the long nines, ye cack-handed deck ape, or it's coal for you!"

fireinthedust

Explorer
Merry Christmas, folks!

I know I'm lurking, but I'm extra lurky for the next bit (sudden moving over the holidays... yay?).

Anyone get some nice booty in their treasure chests this ye-arrr?

I got a 5th ed DM's guide. It looks great. I've noticed the edition is less... numbers-add-up than previous editions? I've had a few brief bouts of "I wonder what the balance between a kit proficiency is compared to a feat", and I think that (if my current theory pans out) I'll post to a blog or something. Run it by you scalliwags first?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'd like to see what you had to day for sure. I think for the most part the tool proficiencies worked out -- I cared a lot in feedback during the play testing, but in the end didn't see the changes that I was hoping for. As it is, I think it works well. Thieves' tools are a bit overpowered, but it's nice that only rouges (and not bards) can apply expertise to them.

Systemically, though, I think there are some problems -- too few skills (for me) meaning that parties ore over competent (and so under challenged) at low levels.

Unsung

First Post
I think there's both less and more equivalency between proficiencies than before. You can exchange languages for tool proficiencies, but I think there's a certain acknowledgement that how useful (and thus how valuable) any of these are going to be has more to do with your specific game than the system itself. Because a lot of rules are less numerical than before, their value is more contextual. In other words, it's not how many skill ranks you have, but what you do with them.

Likewise, I don't really miss the granularity of 3.5's skills. Some combinations feel more natural (who ever took Hide but not Move Silently?) than others (a long distance runner is not necessarily a great climber, a sprinter can't necessarily swim), I feel like drawing those distinctions out of a smaller array of options is the more elegant solution, rather than assembling them ad-hoc from a longer list. You have a basic proficiency, and then you specialize: an inexperienced swimmer who is physically fit can keep their head above water longer than a homebody and layabout, a creature is proficient in Perception but then narrows down what that means with traits like Daylight Sensitivity or Scent.

Of course, this is coming from someone who likes the FATE system and the optional rules for background proficiencies, so it's a matter of taste.

Shayuri

First Post
Anyone can be proficient in thief tools with the correct backgrounds. I made amonk who can use them, for example. But I see this as a strength of the system. It discourages the 3.5 tendency to nerf rogues to 'balance' the fact that only they could pick locks/disarm traps.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Anyone can be proficient in thief tools with the correct backgrounds. I made amonk who can use them, for example. But I see this as a strength of the system. It discourages the 3.5 tendency to nerf rogues to 'balance' the fact that only they could pick locks/disarm traps.

Yes, and I agree that's a strength. I do like that you need to be a rogue to have double proficiency, though (expertise).

Or maybe I'm missing your point?

(And yes, I love FATE; probably what I've played most over the past 5 years)

Remove ads