• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e: Stat the Lady of Pain...so we can overthrow her

Quickleaf

Legend
If you have a DM who knows the old 2e lore for the Lady of Pain, she isn't going to show up and kick your butt; unless you do something directly in her purview like try to resurrect Aoskar or something.
Forget that guy Aoskar - he's two-faced.

We can't stat the Lady of Pain because we don't have stats for giant squirrels in 5e. If you know, you know. ;)

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Who defends a traffic cone? Albeit a traffic cone that is literally the face of the franchise that is directly described as being beyond the gods. Because it's a special traffic cone that kicks everyone's butts and doesn't afraid of anything.
Mate, I downloaded a fighting game mod that's a street sign, a second mod that's another street sign, a third that's a parking sign, a fourth that's a GPS (with much Local 58 influence), and a fifth that's a wet floor sign

But yeah, cool aesthetic, mysterious, and her aesthetic is 'grab anyone causing a problem and slam-dunk them directly out of existence'

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I laughed at 2 posts before I realised they were 10 years old.

I always figured the Lady of Pain as a greater deity, able to generally block other gods from entering her home domain which is also what I'd consider for other deities and their own domains. To defeat her would take a pantheon to crack open Sigil so that they could enter and take her on directly.

If using 3e divine ranks, I'd be tempted to say she's a deity with 21 divine ranks, making her an overdeity who has no care or need for worshippers.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
If she doesn't do anything, then where is the fannish fervor for her coming from?
Because there has historically been an illogical, if not downright rabid, hatred of the setting from vocal corners of the D&D fanbase. A hatred that has persisted for almost 30 years now. The vitriol is positively exhausting if you actually like to have fun in the setting. Furthermore, nobody ever seems to attack the Dark Powers from Ravenloft, despite them being ostensibly the same thing as the Lady of Pain: A plot device that makes the setting work by keeping all the gods and greater demons/devils out of a relatively small corner of the multiverse.

Because when you sit down and think about the D&D multiverce as a setting: Sigil, without such a plot device, would be bloodiest battlefield in existence. Everyone and anyone would be waging constant war with their biggest guns to stake control of the soon to be ruined city. And that defeats the underling purpose of the setting: To have your level 1 characters go off into the fantastic corners of the multiverce and have adventures with the awesome creatures and people therein.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I'm not aware of any 4e NPCs over level 36.
The designers felt anything above lvl 36 was beyond the reach of PCs so they didn't provide stats. The author of the wonderful 4e article on Bane said he made a lvl 39 stat block for the god, but was told not to publish it because it was beyond the reach of PCs so what was the point.

I personally don't agree with the philosophy, but that was the 4e take.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If she doesn't do anything, then where is the fannish fervor for her coming from?

Who defends a traffic cone? Albeit a traffic cone that is literally the face of the franchise that is directly described as being beyond the gods. Because it's a special traffic cone that kicks everyone's butts and doesn't afraid of anything.
There are only a very few things that are well known that you can do to piss her off. Don't do them. Don't put Sigil in danger.

Mirtek

Hero
Now you're talkin!

There's nothin stopping us from gating into the Realm of the D&D Cartoon Show and bagging that guy.
He actually has official 3e stats (along with the rest of the cast). There was a rule booklet in the DVD collection that had all their stats

Edit: My bad, actually DM is not stated in the booklet. Venger is a CR21 Male half-fiend human sorcerer 13/archmage 5 for what it's worth

She can keep gods out of Sigil, and kill them with a single thought there.
Actually that later part is just exaggerated fanon. She can keep the gods out and she was powerfull enough to actually kill a greater god. That's all there officially is. How much sweat and blood her fight against Aoskar actually cost her was never stated.

During her battle against Vecna (himself a greater god at that time) she behaved and fought very similar to him. Neither was able to just annihilate the other, both manifested a single avatar to anchor themselves to Sigil and then battled directly with their essences.

Last edited:

Remove ads