• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E Sunless Citadel - CG

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
You are unable to determine the purpose or manufacture of the keg. You can see runes, now wearing away from rust, inscribed on the device, although the purpose of them is not clear. The keg looks rusted enough that a solid blow would probably burst it open.

OOC: DC 15 Strength check to open the top. If you strike the keg, it has AC 10, 10 hp, resistant to piercing, vulnerable to bludgeoning.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"Do we know what the thing does?" asks the goatherd in the corridor. "Is it wise to stop it before we understand its nature?"

purplerook

First Post
Ara, High Elf Wizard

OOC: @All Re-subscribed to this thread. Just speak-up IC or OOC, if you want to stop messing with the rusted device.
[MENTION=3552]Char[/MENTION]woman_Gene, Ara is assuming from the rust, that the device 'appears' no longer operational.
Ara Arcana, investigating Runes and rusted device: 1D20+5 = [8]+5 = 13

Ara finishes his investigation of the strange rusted device and notices some runes now wearing away from the rust on the device.

Stepping back from the device, Ara tries to decipher the runes on the device. Ara sketches the runes into his sketch book, for possible later investigation. Speaking in a distracted tone of voice, Ara tells the party "I have never seen anything like this before. Whatever it did, it appears to be no longer working. Likely Edgar and Torak could force the top open or simply shatter the device. There are some runes on the side give me little time to see if I can decipher them. By the way, someone might want to keep an eye on the other two doors in the corridor."

[SBLOCK=Ara]Ara, Level 1 - Male High Elf Wizard -
HP: 7/7, AC: 16 Active Spells: Mage Armor
Initiative: +3, Speed: 30ft, Senses: Passive Perception 12, Darkvsion <60ft Dark is dim, Dim is light
Saving Throws Str -1, Con +1, Dex + 3, *Int +5, *Wis +2, Chr 0
Abilities:
By Popular Demand
Fey Ancestry - adv vs. charmed, immune sleep

Offense:
Longbow: +5 1d8+3
Short Sword: +5 1d6+3

Spells
C - Green Flaming Blade, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion,Prestidigitation
1st (1/2) - Mage Armor, Silent Image, Shield,Sleep
[/SBLOCK]

purplerook

First Post
After careful examination of the arcane runes, Ara realizes that the are a form of abjuration magic. Ara hypothesizes that Abjuration magic on the outside of container, is meant to keep some extra-planer being trapped inside. Given the piping, it possible that this was some type of heating device and if so, would contain an elemental.

Turning to the party, Ara states "What I know, the runes are some type of Abjuration Magic - meant to banish or contain extra-planer entities." Ara continues "As to what I suspect, I think that some elemental was or is trapped inside the device to provide either heating or cooling through the pipes."

"This leads us to a decision point." Ara continues, "The keg is like any door in this citadel, possibly containing a monster and or treasure. The difference is that whatever is in there will remain trapped until someone releases it and so unlike the Goblins poses no risk to those who do not tamper with it. The party faces a decision - open the container or leave it unopened. Those who came for treasure will likely want to see what is inside, despite the risk. Those who came for other reasons, will likely want to leave the container alone. Personally, I would like to leave the container here, and come back at a later date when I have a little more magic. However, I will support the party in whatever it decides."

TallIan

Explorer
Edgar, Paladin 1

"I'm not much for wanton vandalism, unless there is a good reason to see what's inside, let's leave it. You can come back later if you like and study it.

[SBLOCK=Mini Stats]
Passive Perception: 12
AC: 16
Initiative: +0
HP: 10/12 (HD: 1/1d10)

Offense:
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (Bonus action): +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Shortsword: +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin: +5 30/120 1d6+3P

Devine Sense 2/3
Lay on Hands 5/5[/SBLOCK]