5E War of the Burning Sky [IC]

Schmoe

Adventurer
Kincaid says a quick prayer to Athena , and then follows along behind to see if he can help. It seems like Caleb has a plan in mind, and he wants to aid however he can.

[sblock=OOC]I cast Guidance on Kincaid. That allows him to add a 1d4 to any ability check over the next minute, but he must choose to do so before the check is made.

As for taking over the lead, nah, I think Kincaid is more than happy to let Caleb take the lead. =D[/sblock]

Sezarious

Explorer
"DOUBLE DAMN!" Kyrrie curses once more as he watched Kincaid run after Caleb. He glances up at Torrent after realising the inappropriateness of swearing in front of a cleric. He turns back to yell up at the woman. "Everything will be ok! Just stay calm and FOCUS! Help is on the way."

OOC:

Giving 1d6 Bardic inspiration to the woman to try and keep her alive

Readying Kyrries action to try and catch her in the event that she suddenly jumps

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Davaros holds on one side of the net. "I am injured and would likely be a liability if I were to accompany you. I will stay here and man one corner of the net. May the undying light of Apollo show you the way"

GreenKarl

First Post
Toby stays with the net. He has not special abilities or magic that would protect him from such a blaze and it would be foolish to try. He would only add to the number of people who would need rescuing...

SuperZero

First Post
Torrent nodded and took a corner. The group of adventurers held the blanket taught. It was large and strong enough to make a serviceable net... assuming they'd be able to get it under the victim and keep hold of it as she hit.

Kincaid and Caleb reach the roof without incident or any particular difficulty beyond the necessity of sprinting up three flights of stairs. The building they had entered did not seem to have been struck by a dragonbomb and was not on fire, although some smoke leaked in the windows, and they did not encounter any other persons on the stairs.
The skybridge was scorched and patches of fire burned on the roof of their destination, but it was a flat roof with railings that was actually designed to be walked on and finding a safe path was simple enough. It was obvious they wouldn't want to stay there for very long, though.

By the time they reached the roof just above the window, the woman was leaning out and coughing about five feet below them. "I see flickering light under the door!" she said, sounding hysterical and starting to cry.

Matthan

Explorer
"הַדְרָכָה," Caleb says one final time as he touches his arms before unspooling some rope and handing an end to Kincaid. "Tie this around yourself and brace yourself on whatever you can. You'll anchor her. Pray that Athena blesses us tonight. We're pulling her out." He kneels at the edge of the roof and calls out to the lady, "It's okay. We're here. I want you to tie this rope around yourself and hold onto it. When we give you the signal, step out of the window and we'll pull you up."

Caleb feeds her enough rope to tie herself off and signals to the others below to be ready in case something goes wrong. He draws back the slack of the rope to make sure she won't fall when she leaves the window and braces himself to pull. With a glance back to Kincaid to make sure that he's ready, he yells at the woman, "Now!" and begins to pull.

[sblock=Actions]
To Schmoe, I hope you don't mind that I put you as the anchor. You're the stronger of us and if I go over the edge, I'm hoping you can catch us.
Assuming that Schmoe(Kincaid) is good with the above, here's the actions.
Cast Guidance on myself at the top. I'm assuming that Kincaid will do that for himself as well.
Athletics check to pull up the woman. I rolled individually assuming that Kincaid would roll as well (group effort and all)
WotBS Caleb Athletics check to pull up lady: 1D20-1 = [17]-1 = 16
WotBS Caleb Guidance for Athletics check: 1D4 = [1] = 1
17 total. I'll be honest, I was expecting worse.[/sblock]

SuperZero

First Post
[sblock=Mechanics]The building was designed with the intent that people would walk on it, so there's a railing. While failure is possible, actually failing badly enough to fall yourselves is... unlikely.

Theoretically I'd say that Kincaid could either make a group check (he also makes a check; at least half of the group must succeed) or help (Caleb gets advantage), but it's irrelevant since 17 looks like a success already.
You're probably also limited to your carrying capacity, but between the two that requirement is met.

For the attempt to actually succeed, though, the bystander also needs to successfully tie herself to the rope. She's unfamiliar with ropes, distracted, and rushing, but she's also bardically inspired and it only has to hold for a few seconds... I think there's a good chance of success there (DC... 12-ish?).
Since Caleb's already made that Strength check I really could adjudicate this now, but I'll wait a bit for a post for Kincaid.

If the players with the characters on the ground want to be prepared in case the ones on the roof fail, to catch the falling person you can either make a Strength check to contribute to the group check or Help one of the others to grant them advantage.
There's actually a DC listed in the book for that one, but it's for 3.5 and assumes the one character making the check gets a slew of +2s from aiding allies so I won't be using it directly.[/sblock]

Remove ads