• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e Warlord Demand Poll

How much demand is there for a dedicated warlord class??

• I am a player/DM of 5e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 61 26.3%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with WotC's current offerings for a warlord-esque class

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with the current 3rd party offerings for a warlord class

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 94 40.5%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imaro

Legend
Okay I have to ask this because I'm kind of confused... @Tony Vargas you have me on your ignore list and because of that I can't see the threads you've created... like the one referenced earlier by Hussar... how are you in this thread I created posting?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Okay I have to ask this because I'm kind of confused... @Tony Vargas you have me on your ignore list and because of that I can't see the threads you've created... like the one referenced earlier by Hussar... how are you in this thread I created posting?

I think there's a bug. For weeks, I had him on ignore and he kept quoting me. Morrus said the DEVs were looking into it and I think they had a resolution (although I don't know what that was). So maybe Tony's a super user or something lol, because it always seems to be him that is bypassing ignore list rules ;)

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm a little confused, myself. I did see this thread in one spot, didn't see your posts in it, replied to a post, and got an error. I assumed it didn't really post, but now I've gotten a reply, a mention & xp, so I guess it took, right?

But, I couldn't see the thread again, in the forum, until I changed the setting (you should be able to see my stuff now, too, I assume).

Why I saw it in the first place, I couldn't say - the block function is far from 100%, it seems. FWIW, it seems like a good poll topic, and I'm sorry I'd missed it until now.

I think it highlights one of the successes of 5e, in avoiding the kind of edition warring that plagued 4e - it seems there really aren't nearly as many critics of 5e going on about it without actually playing it.
That strikes me as a positive.

This looks an awful lot like a petitio principii, or "begging the question", fallacy. Because many have argued that your desire is already achievable within the context of what a 5e character looks like and is capable of.
They've argued that, but they've been wrong. ( For one thing, I'm a bit more qualified than others to know what I want. ;P ) I think I outlined why fairly clearly, in a general sense - and, though this is a 'Warlord Thread,' I think the general case is more relevant to the objection to dissecting the poor fighter into narrower and narrower spin-off classes.

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
I'm a little confused, myself. I did see this thread in one spot, didn't see your posts in it, replied to a post, and got an error. I assumed it didn't really post, but now I've gotten a reply, a mention & xp, so I guess it took, right?

But, I couldn't see the thread again, in the forum, until I changed the setting (you should be able to see my stuff now, too, I assume).

Why I saw it in the first place, I couldn't say - the block function is far from 100%, it seems. FWIW, it seems like a good poll topic, and I'm sorry I'd missed it until now.

No worries, I was just curious that maybe I had messed up my own settings or something...

Sacrosanct

Legend
Coincidentally, another user on my blocked list just quoted me. So clearly the functionality of that feature doesn't work very well on this forum.

Corwin

Explorer
They've argued that, but they've been wrong.
And yet, you are not the decider of who is right and who is wrong.

( For one thing, I'm a bit more qualified than others to know what I want. ;P )
That is very true. But by the standard you are establishing by your want, no 4e class exists in 5e. Not a one. Not even a vanilla fighter. Because, for example, a 5e fighter cannot Come & Get it!. And until one can, 5e has failed to provide a "true" fighter. Obviously, that is preposterous. Or, at least, I hope you can see that it is.

Tony Vargas

Legend
That is very true. But by the standard you are establishing by your want, no 4e class exists in 5e.
The standard is merely 'is the class there' and 'can I do as much with it.' Most 5e classes far exceed that standard: the 5e Druid, Wizard, Cleric, & Bard, for instance, all leave their 4e versions looking on enviously.

Not a one. Not even a vanilla fighter. Because, for example, a 5e fighter cannot Come & Get it!. And until one can, 5e has failed to provide a "true" fighter.
You don't even have to get as specific as Come & Get It (though it should be perfectly clear that 16 maneuvers, all 3rd-level-appropriate, can't be compared to 300+ over 30 levels). The 5e fighter has failed to adequately reprise the 4e fighter - and the 3.5 fighter, for that matter. Indeed, there's little to indicate the attempt was even made - the 5e fighter is a 'simple fighter,' focused primarily reprising the old-school and 2e designs (including the old-school fighter/magic-user in the EK). It's great at what it does, but there's a lot it doesn't do.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
The standard is merely 'is the class there' and 'can I do as much with it.' Most 5e classes far exceed that standard: the 5e Druid, Wizard, Cleric, & Bard, for instance, all leave their 4e versions looking on enviously.
Negatory. Also, not the job of a new edition to mimic its predecessors. Are you suggesting that the other 5e classes besides Druid, Wizard, Cleric, & Bard, do not adequately represent their archetypes, within the context of the 5e ruleset's design parameters and paradigm?

You don't even have to get as specific as Come & Get It (though it should be perfectly clear that 16 maneuvers, all 3rd-level-appropriate, can't be compared to 300+ over 30 levels). The 4e fighter has failed to adequately reprise the 4e fighter - and the 3.5 fighter, for that matter. Indeed, there's little to indicate the attempt was even made - the 5e fighter is a 'simple fighter,' focused primarily reprising the old-school and 2e designs (including the old-school fighter/magic-user in the EK). It's great at what it does, but there's a lot it doesn't do.
That's a heck of a lot of opinion. And given the realities of 5e's massive popularity, and sustained growth, I'd say a fringe minority opinion at that. Sorry if that's a bit blunt, but I don't see the sky falling on 5e like you apparently do. If anything, it has the potential now to grow towards a stratosphere never seen by its like before. Not even any of its predecessors. If the classes, and system by a larger view, were as flawed and inadequate as you suggest, I don't see how any of that could have come to pass. So, no. I just don't see your opinion as viable at all.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Also, not the job of a new edition to mimic its predecessors.
I didn't mean to suggest that 'mimicking' was required. Obviously, mechanics in 5e differ from those of prior editions. Proficiency is not BAB, for instance, but as the fighter levels, he still gets to attack more than once/round - OTOH, the level of customization possible with the 3.5 fighter isn't fully realized.
Are you suggesting that the other 5e classes besides Druid, Wizard, Cleric, & Bard, do not adequately represent their archetypes, within the context of the 5e ruleset's design parameters and paradigm?
Those were examples (thus "for instance"), not meant as an exhaustive list.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
I didn't mean to suggest that 'mimicking' was required.
And yet you have been consistent in taking such a stance. 5e's warlord options aren't good enough because it doesn't do all the things the 4e one did. Or, in other words, 'mimic'. Because until it looks a lot like a 4e warlord, its a failure in your, and certain others', eyes.

Those were examples (thus "for instance") not meant as an exhaustive list.
Dancing? Okay, fine. Lets get specific then, shall we? It is your opinion that the 5e fighter does not do an adequate job of representing the iconic archetype? Yes or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads