• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 5E Wishlist, and what failed about 4E

Ninja-to

First Post
For me, I'm not concerned so much with magic items, character classes, races or alignments, demons, devils, monsters or anything else. My problems and dreams are far simpler and very basic:

Please deal with errata better.

The next small section will be basically me ranting on the problems with 4E. All of these topics have been covered before, and people have their own opinions. I'm only posting the below as a reference of *my* take on it. Please don't debate on these issues again as there are countless other threads for that (and they're all worn out IMO). Feel free to skip my /rant to get to my point. I don't want this to turn into a debate on the short rant. I'm looking to talk about what 5E needs to do better.

/ begin rant

Seriously. It's been said before, but it can't be said enough. The errata issues of 4E were just out of control. This is the sole reason I stopped buying books, as did my players. Pretty much everyone will agree that the number of errors in books was bordering on incompetence. I hear you when people talk about deadlines, money and schedules, work loads, blah blah. But seriously folks, if it's not ready, don't release it. It's that simple. Especially when you expect people to purchase something in print form, something that can't be 'downloaded' and fixed instantly or effortlessly.

Yes, we need mistakes correcting, so errata serves a purpose. Sure. But there are two lose-lose situations with the current way errata is dealt with in 4E.

Because of the sheer volume of mistakes and errata, people (such as myself, my players and I suspect many others) simply stopped purchasing the books. Instead, we began to simply rely on the Character Builder.

This to me seemed a half-step forward. Half, because it made the books much less useful than they should have been. Why buy a hard copy of Adventurer's Vault when it's being released on character builder? Add to that, the expected errata that will come along will be done electronically. Get the CB, you're better off for it.

It hurt the desire to get books, but it was still a move forward. Then of course, as we all know, the CB moved to a far inferior, online only version, with less options, far more bugs, and was basically just a debacle for the majority of DDI subscribers, resulting in (apparently) droves of subscribers not only cancelling their accounts but even asking for their money back.

/ 4E rant over

Now 5E (or whatever it will be called) has been mentioned to be in the works.

I will call this out right now:

Get a handle on errata or D&D is done. The game will die.

Period.

If not, there will be two groups of people who play D&D. One broad group will be the ones who still own their old books, 1st to 4th edition, and are happy with what they've got. The 2nd group, will be a very small niche group, and a minority. In other words, not enough to sustain the business.

How to handle the errata problem?

#1: Slow the hell down. Release quality products that aren't full of errors on the day they're released.

I've heard people whining about production costs (when they know absolutely nothing of the sales figures or the production costs whatsoever) and say this is why books are released when they are. It's BS.

Is it *easy* to release something that is practically flawless? Of course not, but it should damn well be a requirement for any hard copy book in print.

#2: If you can't produce hard copy content that isn't riddled with mistakes, provide a viable alternative.

When, before 4E was released, I heard there would be a digital copy of every core book downloadable with a 'serial number' from the hard copy books, I was super excited. I thought finally D&D was shifting to the modern world. I still, to this day, dream of running my entire campaign from a sleek, ALL inclusive platform on my laptop. It's a dream, but you need dreams to make them reality, right guys? :p

I want all my core books digital, on my laptop, with a menu system that makes it fast, easy and efficient to find a rule. I want there to be a very simple, easy to use map making app, that allows me to print my rooms out so I can place them on the battlegrid easily. I want a little media player with a media library that I can add content to, where I can flip the laptop around and show pictures of things they see, and sound effects they hear.

I can do half of this with a multitude of apps and addons. I could have winamp running for the sound, picture viewer for the pics... you name it. But why not integrate it all into one convenient application?

When I've designed my dungeon (or, GASP, bought it from WotC, in a digital form) and I see a room with a little speaker icon on it, I click it, and that's what the characters hear.

I could go on. My main points are these:

Convenience. I will *pay* for convenience. We pay for convenience all the time in our daily life. This should come as no surprise. I for one will gladly pay to have my entire gaming system neatly and professionally integrated into a suite on my laptop, that does NOT require me to be online all the time. Requiring me to be online is NOT convenient for me. Convenience does not mean 'convenient to a point so long as we can be paranoid/greedy about piracy' (more on this later). Again, entirely integrated. One ap. Period.

I will not pay for the opposite, which is me trying wrap my head around literally over a hundred pages of mistakes and errors and changes. In other words, I will not pay for hard copy books that I know, upon release, are outdated already, and will change so much as to be nearly un-usable.

So in short, for me personally to be even slightly interested in purchasing a single thing of 5E, I will need re-assurances. I need to know that what I'm buying is worth the money I'm putting forward. There are two ways to assure me of this.

Release the products when they are finished. Not a day sooner.

If the above is not possible, go digital so the changes to the very thing I paid for, are made seamlessly. Don't expect me to pay for a half finished product.

/ offline vs online rant start

Please let's not discuss the virtues or non-virtues of having an online or offline CB/tools. Let's just assume for argument's sake we all basically agree that offline is better for the consumer, and NOT assume that requiring a constant online presence prevents piracy (it doesn't).

On that note, for those who whine about WotC not being able to make money if they go all digital, because of piracy. With the endless amount of updates that seem to occur, requiring a password to download each update just makes it 'convenient'. Again, people will PAY for convenience. It would be far easier and simpler, not to mention SAFER to log into a WotC server to get all my updates instantly and quickly rather than snoop around shady download sites every week.

Wizards could also consider bonuses to players who subscribe to all digital content: Passes to events, minis, goodies etc.

/end of offline vs online rant

So, in short, at the top of my wishlist is a set of books that I know I don't need to feel are obsolete in a year or two, and I *DREAM* of a day when my laptop has it all, and all of it is updated and current. I'd love to pay money and instantly download modules and campaign settings to my laptop, have it all in a slick and functional ap, and be content that the money I'm spending, be it monthly, or by a per item basis, is being spent wisely.

Do one (produce more solid books) or the other (create a complete digital package), but please don't neglect both.

Last edited:

Tallifer

Hero
I for one greatly appreciated the errata. The Character Builder and Compendium meant that it was simple to integrate them into the game. A pair of scissors and a stick of glue handled any of the rules I needed to add to my hardcovered books.

Most of the errata were not actually errata, meaning corrections of mistakes. They were revisions in reaction to the munchkins. It would take hundreds of designers to counteract the thousands of munchkins crunching numbers and playing broken combinations. In an ideal world the designers would also be geniuses at character optimization, but that takes an entirely different mindset. Creative minds are not the same as tactical minds.

I sincerely hope that whatever loopholes will inevitably occur in Fifth Edition, the designers will NOT be afraid to fix them.

foolish_mortals

First Post
I would gladly pay 10e more for each book if it was guaranteed 100% free of errors. I'm deadly serious about this!

I don't know if I would or not. I just got 3 Deathwatch books to review and the core was full of typos. "The Mark of The Xenos" didn't seem to have any. The Achilus Assault has some. The worst offender, the core book, had the most of them and it's like a 60 dollar book! I'm not paying 70 bucks for a typo free manual, I'll just live with it.

foolish_mortals

Ninja-to

First Post
I for one greatly appreciated the errata. The Character Builder and Compendium meant that it was simple to integrate them into the game. A pair of scissors and a stick of glue handled any of the rules I needed to add to my hardcovered books.

Most of the errata were not actually errata, meaning corrections of mistakes. They were revisions in reaction to the munchkins. It would take hundreds of designers to counteract the thousands of munchkins crunching numbers and playing broken combinations. In an ideal world the designers would also be geniuses at character optimization, but that takes an entirely different mindset. Creative minds are not the same as tactical minds.

I sincerely hope that whatever loopholes will inevitably occur in Fifth Edition, the designers will NOT be afraid to fix them.

I actually tried the glue and paper solution. It doesn't work anymore.

Back in 3.5 I did the same thing to my PHB. I managed to get everything to fit. However this time around, for my 4E 'fixes', I got about 2 pages (of the many) errata cut up on my table ready to put in the books, in a small font, and it simply wouldn't fit. There are places where one sentence is replaced by something the size of an entire paragraph, and vise versa. There are lots of them. It was futile.

Let's imagine I magically found room to replace one line with a block of text. I'll pose this question: *Why* should I have to go through a 2 year old book to fix a multitude of issues, CORE issues, that should not be there in the first place?

Also, a revision to a reaction to the munchkins is the same thing, if not worse than a 'typo' or a mistake in a table.

There needs to be less reaction and more foresight. They have literally hundreds of game testers if the 'playtester' credits page in the PHB is anything to go by, and as we know they're working for FREE. Sorry but for me, there's simply no excuse. There are many many ways to overcome these issues. There are literally thousands of gamers out there that would gladly give feedback and 'munchkin' test to death any rules set for an upcoming D&D edition and enjoy doing it.

As I said, if they are unable to handle the proper play testing then go digital. I for one, have grown very tired of after-the-fact 'fixes' to problems that should not exist in the first place.

If over the years of recent editions there were only a small handful of mistakes in some of the books, and the errata fixed *only* a few minor balance changes, then I may agree with you, that errata of that kind are welcome. However that is nothing near the truth. Even putting the sheer NUMBER of changes aside, along with all the changes to the changes, it's blatantly clear that many of the products that have been shipped to sell are clearly not ready to be put on store shelves. It's not typos, printing errors or minor rules that are broken, it's fundamental things that are being 'fixed'. Sadly, the core books (PHB/DMG/MM) are definitely in that category, and if there are any books that need to be perfect, or damn close, it should most certainly be those. I remember a recent comment of one of my players at my table, after another was looking up a rule in the PHB. He simply laughed and said 'um just give it up, that book is pretty much obsolete'. That should not be happening 2-3 years after the book was first published.

5E, if I ever buy it, won't receive any of my money until at least 6 to 12 months after release, and only if this issue of pushing broken, error filled books out before they're ready has been resolved. It's fairly safe to say everyone at my gaming table will be following suit.

I do agree with you on the CB addressing most of those problems. It's too bad they ripped it apart and destroyed the best thing they had going for them since 4E's release. If they produce a solid digital suite to introduce 5E, akin to (but hopefully a more *complete* package than) the offline CB, I'll be much more inclined to part with my money.

Last edited:

MortonStromgal

First Post
Yes, bad quality killed 4e, also telling you how to play D&D. I mean I dont like 3.5 and but Pathfinder is good quality, I keep buying it up because the rules are well refined (at leased the early stuff) and the quality is high. I prefer many things in 4e but the quality is poor and the lack of options is frustrating. Maybe I want the 15 min work day, or to uses someone elses excel sheet to build a character because I can add my house rules into excel easy. And some of the power/feat etc issues they have had... wow makes 2 man indie companies look better when they make mistakes. Also balance is boring, niche protection with something cool is way more fun. When fixed the 3e wizard issue it shouldnt be to make the fighter the same as the wizard it should be to give the fighter something awesome to do at high level that the wizard cant do.

Ninja-to

First Post
Yes, bad quality killed 4e, also telling you how to play D&D. I mean I dont like 3.5 and but Pathfinder is good quality, I keep buying it up because the rules are well refined (at leased the early stuff) and the quality is high. I prefer many things in 4e but the quality is poor and the lack of options is frustrating. Maybe I want the 15 min work day, or to uses someone elses excel sheet to build a character because I can add my house rules into excel easy. And some of the power/feat etc issues they have had... wow makes 2 man indie companies look better when they make mistakes. Also balance is boring, niche protection with something cool is way more fun. When fixed the 3e wizard issue it shouldnt be to make the fighter the same as the wizard it should be to give the fighter something awesome to do at high level that the wizard cant do.

I agree with you on nearly every point. All I'd add is that 4E did a lot of things better, but took away the uniqueness to characters in the process. We need the fluff back too. It's just lost its fantasy atmosphere on a lot of different levels.

caudor

Adventurer
My advice to WotC...

Please don't try to change the tire while the car is still rolling. Errata mania is one of the big reasons I left 4e for Pathfinder. Yeah, I know I could have ignored it, but it being there still drove me nuts.

Over time, the game smeared into this mess that I could not fathom anymore; or rather, keeping up with the errata became a chore for me.

unan oranis

First Post
I hear yeah - to your question of what should be done differently;

1. The quality of the binding, ink and paper should be upped from poor to excellent.

2. Go all the way with the ddi subscription giving you all the books.

keterys

First Post
So, here's the thing about errata.

1) There are often more people screaming for it than _not_. Could likely be the vocal minority. ("This power is broken" "This class is too powerful" "This monster needs fire resistance" etc)
2) Almost all of the changes are not due to poorly written rules, but due to unfortunate interactions. ("This rule lets me crit when I roll a 10." "This rule lets me take 10 on attacks")
3) Some of those unfortunate interactions are only a problem with certain players / games ("This power is clearly _intended_ to work like X, but as _written_ works like Y, and that's destroying my game!")

For example, the Rending Axe in 4e has a property that lets you take an extra attack when you crit. There is a rule that limits you to one free action attack per round, but Rending doesn't specify free actions, so some argue it's no action and there's no limit - which in some specific setups lets you make infinite attacks with it (and in other setups lets you make "Enough to kill someone" regardless).

Even though that argument also means you can make the extra attack while stunned, petrified, or dead. In fact, several abilities just say "and make an attack" without specifying the free action. They just didn't realize they needed to say, early on in the game. I don't think that'd be a problem at most tables, but it's the kind of thing that gets pushed hard to fix.

But as far as I can tell, it's something the internet didn't even notice as a real possibility for about a year and a half. That's pretty obscure to expect some freelancer and his editor to notice.

And I guess some games are being ruined by it. Living Forgotten Realms. Games with pushover DMs. Games with DMs that want strict RAW, even if something is broken. (Often, those DMs just use the broken stuff themselves)

I do think it'd be helpful if more books could be open playtested (ie, not a small group of people, but push every book back two months and first make it available to DDI and give them a full month to find and fix problems. Poof, major errata occurs _beforehand_. Also, you feel awesome for your DDI sub.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads