D&D 5E [5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Aramalian

Explorer
[MENTION=6672752]Aramalian[/MENTION] To tie Barakor to the overarching "Mother of Monsters" theme, how does the following sound to you? Brouver Hoog, Elder of Mahakam, succumbs to madness, but there may be more to his visions of demons and omens than a diseased mind. Blood runs from the gemstone veins, babes go missing from cradles, and a darkness rises there. Part of Barakor's quest is to discern what darkness plagues Brouver Hogg's mind and how to alleviate it.

I think I've worked this into his backstory pretty well... it is up in the Rogue's Gallery.
Also, if you wish, you may select this option:

Lose -1 Charisma, but gain proficiency in Insight, and you can use Insight to detect shapechanged creatures (like jackalwere, which don't normally allow a check like an illusory disguised hag would) against an opposed Deception check, as well as magical charm effects plaguing a person against an opposed spellcasting ability check.

Done!

Finally, would you roll a d6? It's for a table called "What stands in the way of delivering Odvara to the elves?" We already have one role [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] did on this table, but I think another is warranted now that we have a full party being assembled.

And here's a roll!

Quickleaf

Legend
And here's a roll!

Thanks!

Also for you and [MENTION=6798581]Azurewraith[/MENTION], I have a 1d10 table called "What has happened on the mountain road to Posada?" Everyone else rolled on it when we did a fast-forward, so you guys can roll on it if you want. Some of the entries assume you were traveling with Odvara – we could ret-con it that way if you want. If you want to roll, feel free to. Most of the entries involve a check, with a little perk if you succeed and a detriment if you fail, helping give a bit more depth to your character's story. Totally optional.

EDIT: And also, to everyone...

aObyO2J.png

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Hey, you both got a 2! Luckily I planned for this!

You spied Odvara performing some kind of ablutions ritual while she was separate from the rest of the group. Make a DC 10 Dexterity (Stealth) check if you tried to observe her more closely to figure out what her ritual was.

I think we can assume that Tamaran, being an elven scout, was observing the party's descent from the mountains into Dol Blathanna mostly unseen.

You reached a fork in the mountain paths... You can descend into fields of calendula flower (taking extra time but probably safe) or you can brave the frosty mountain ridge trail (allowing you to arrive in advance of the rest of the party but possibly dangerous).

Depending on your choice, there will be different checks involved.

Aramalian

Explorer
You reached a fork in the mountain paths... You can descend into fields of calendula flower (taking extra time but probably safe) or you can brave the frosty mountain ridge trail (allowing you to arrive in advance of the rest of the party but possibly dangerous).

Depending on your choice, there will be different checks involved.[/QUOTE]

I think Barakor would stay to the more familiar terrain, and follow the ridge trail.

Sent from my KFFOWI using EN World mobile app

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=6672752]Aramalian[/MENTION]

While seeking shelter one night, you found an ice cave with an engraved elven calendar-compass beneath the ice. Make a DC 10 Intelligence (Nature) check if you wish to try and decipher it.

Aramalian

Explorer
"What's this, then?" the black-haired dwarf murmurs to himself after finally finding a spot out of the icy wind. Under a thin skein of ice lay what looks like some kind of elvish carving. "Can't imagine what one of those skinny gits was doing up here -- freezing their arse off, for sure!" He tugs a handaxe from his pack strap and tries to chop away some of the thicker ice, to see the carving better.

(OOC: First d20 roll of the campaign.... boom! Nature check: 4)

CRACK as the blade swings through the ice, that was much thinner than Barakor thought, and right through several of the elvish markings. "Well bugger me runnin'. OH well..." he grumps before wrapping himself in his furs and trying to get to sleep.

Axel

First Post
It's still the ooc thread guys. Don't get too excited! :)

I would like to flesh this out a bit and run with it!

Sounds good. I left it pretty vague, because then it can be used as a plot device, amongst other things.

Kynee has worked as a courier for the dwarven underground previously. Genuinely she doesn't give a s... about the dwarves, but they pay well and nobody looks in a Witcher's pack (magical weirdness may ensue). She's also something of a linguist and has a serious case of wanderlust. Everyone wins!

This is her connection to the adventure starting point. The dwarves asked her to take "a package" (ie Odvara) to the elves at Doo Blathanna. Slightly unusual for her, but eh...money. If you develop some tie-in to the dwarven underground I imagine it's not beyond the realms of possibility than your PC is backup installed at a point where some coordinating agency thought it might be required (and Kynee was told to look for if required - assaulted by a dozen odd drowners probably fits that bill).

People seem to be missing the dystopian nature of this world - dunno if you guys have read the books. I would avoid non-human races! Nastiness follows, like Drow in "normal D&D". But then, our adventure isn't heading into human lands...

Remove ads