• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e's new gender policy - is it attracting new players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, yet, i'm fairly confident that the institution of marriage does exist in Athas. There are probably married couple NPC's in the source books. I'm not sure, but, I'm pretty confident that's true. So, why would Athas possibly have any sort of taboo against same sex marriage?
Are you asking why irrational prejudices exist? Because I think that's a bigger subject than we're equipped to take on in this thread.

SuperZero

First Post
To be fair, being LGBT is not a matter of choice, as far as I know. Many fat people DO choose that path, either purposely being lazy, or unknowingly gaining weight without realizing it. Also, the extra fee makes sense to a degree, as there have been proven drawbacks on health due to being overweight. I am not trying to be insulting, and apologize if I appear so, I just prefer to keep facts straight. Some overweight people did not choose it, and are like that because of genetics or something out of their control, but a fair number knowingly choose to eat less healthy, or avoid exercise when they know they need it, making it very different from LGBT.

Being fat isn't a path, and you contradicted yourself there anyway.
Weight gain is sometimes caused by health issues. Being somewhat "overweight" according to the bmi chart is actually associated with the longest lifespans--being underweight can be quite unhealthy. Oh, and malnourishment can cause weight gain.
The post you're quoting is wrong since everything said about fat people is true about gay people, but you're disagreeing with the wrong stuff.

It is provable that homosexual behavior is also a choice for a certain percentage of people.

"Homosexual behavior" is behavior exactly like that of straight people, except done by homosexual people, right? Because that phrase always describes behavior exactly like that of straight people.
Yes, you can choose not to have sex. That is... not the same thing.

Page 13 Dwarf is certainly not skinny
Page 56 Dwarf cleric is pudgy
((I'm noticing a decided plethora of bloody elf pics)
Page 120 Halfling is portly (although, to be fair, the halfling pics in 5e are not exactly stellar examples of anything)
Page 132 Halfing is outright fat
Page 290 Blinded dwarf has a pretty hefty gut

The Monster Manual includes a variety of body types, but then most of those creatures are meant to be inhuman so I'm not sure how much that counts.
However, I must point to one of the illustrations in the margins next to the index, on the very last page of the book. There is a fat, mace-wielding adventurer confronting a... doppelganger, I assume, although it could be a number of things--who is impersonating him.

Last edited:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Weight gain is sometimes caused by health issues. Being somewhat "overweight" according to the bmi chart is actually associated with the longest lifespans--being underweight can be quite unhealthy. Oh, and malnourishment can cause weight gain.

You probably should not rely too heavily on the BMI index because it is not scientifically accurate.

For example most high performance athletes will be classified as "obese".

Hussar

Legend
Are you asking why irrational prejudices exist? Because I think that's a bigger subject than we're equipped to take on in this thread.

I'm asked my why same sex marriage would be treated particularly differently in Athas than straight marriage. You said the only way same sex marriage would exist is by some dragon king plot.

Why?

CaptainGemini

First Post
I'm asked my why same sex marriage would be treated particularly differently in Athas than straight marriage. You said the only way same sex marriage would exist is by some dragon king plot.

Why?

Because the setting itself is a hellhole world where things based on love tend to find themselves under assault.

Just because the institution of marriage exists doesn't mean it's based on love. The same is definitely true in the real world, too.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Because the setting itself is a hellhole world where things based on love tend to find themselves under assault.

Just because the institution of marriage exists doesn't mean it's based on love. The same is definitely true in the real world, too.

I hope I'm not getting too political but... Honduras is kind of a hellhole too (highest murder rate in the world). Bet Syria, Iraq, and many places aren't great in the Middle East. Want iron-fisted dictators we can look to North Korea or historically at Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, and Mussolini's Italy.

I'd guarantee love still exists and exited in those places. Bet you the smith's son was still able to woo the baker's daughter and marry her and become happier than they were. Being a horrible place were horrible things happen does not mean average citizens, living in stable places, can't love and marry, just that they are worried about thought police or being shanked at any time while they live their lives.

delericho

Legend

The Prism Pentad has two marriages in it, both of which appear to be based on love. One of these is actually a biandrous marriage between Sadira and her two husbands.

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
I am not a new player. I'm past 20 years in the hobby.

The new discussion of gender, sexuality, and general being welcoming made me immensely happy when I saw it, and has led me to be more willing both to game publicly (had some fairly awful experiences gaming while trans; now the books themselves actively discourage putting people through what I went through) and to recommend it to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads