• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5th Edition -- Caster Rule, Martials Drool?

Viridian

First Post
Sneak attack once per round is pretty good. Sneak attack twice per round with consistency (via feats and/or teamwork) will out damage anything a fighter can do once the fighter has blown his action surge. Three sneak attacks per round via haste and readied actions is way more single target damage than anyone else is capable of.

Dausuul

Legend
Caster supremacy is alive and well in 5e - including the supremacy of full casters over the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster.
Can you describe your experiences here? It sharply conflicts with mine and several other posters, so I'm curious to know how that's happening.

Werebat

Explorer
Remember, an opportunity attack isn't something a PC can generate. If the foe is smart, he probably realises that turning his back on the nimble rogue is a bad idea. If the foe is dumb, it will probably just want to eat the rogue.

This twice a round thing, while possible, isn't going to happen a whole lot.

Ah, but it opens the door! Let me show you this magic item from a splatbook that will come out in a year, and how it combines with this feat from another splatbook that will come out a few months after that... And if your rogue takes two levels of this subclass...

Agamon

Adventurer
Ah, but it opens the door! Let me show you this magic item from a splatbook that will come out in a year, and how it combines with this feat from another splatbook that will come out a few months after that... And if your rogue takes two levels of this subclass...

Please do, Mr. Time Traveller. I'll just wait here... :)

Crothian

First Post

If this is something that really worries then just don't allow splatbooks problem solved!

Evenglare

Adventurer
When I go into topics like this I wonder if the OP trying to make me feel bad about playing the game? Because it seems like it. It feels like it's a very passive aggressive way of saying X edition isn't balanced and not worth playing. Personally I think this is the most balanced edition while still retaining class individuality yet. Then again, I seem to be wrong in every post I ever make, so take that for as you will.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
On the contrary, spell DCs rapidly outscale monster's saves, and casters are once again free to target whatever will be the enemy's weakest save:

I don't quite buy this. If I look at the Hoard of the Dragon Queen supplement at the main levels where the save DC of a PC spellcaster increases for monsters of the same DC, their bonus range and hence percentage chance to save range (for the big 3: Dex, Con, and Wis) are:

01: 13 variety of +0 to +2, 40% to 50%
04: 14 two CR 3, +1 to +3, 40% to 50% (no CR 4 monsters)
05: 15 +0 to +5, 30% to 55%; +0 to +7, 30% to 65%; two -1 to +3, 25% to 45%; -1 to +5, 25% to 55%; +3 to +6, 45% to 60%
08: 16 CR 7, +4 to +8, 45% to 65% (no CR 8 monsters)
09: 17
13: 18 +5 to +11, 40% to 70%; +4 to +9, 35% to 60%
17: 19

I do agree that casters are free to target weakest saves, but they will not always know this. Plus, many of the higher level monsters have resist or immunity (a few vulnerability) or other special defenses.

It does not appear that the caster's saves outpace the monsters significantly. For their strong saves, it looks like the monsters actually are better at higher levels.

Jack the Lad

Explorer
Can you describe your experiences here? It sharply conflicts with mine and several other posters, so I'm curious to know how that's happening.

The experiences posted in this thread so far that mention a level were at levels 1, 3, 5, 6, 9 and 12, and the level 6 and 12 players report spellcasters dominating.

I expect that the relatively low levels it seems most people have played at so far are contributing to the perception of balance, because as with previous editions casters really begin to spread their wings as their access to level 4+ spells kicks in.

Imaro

Legend
The experiences posted in this thread so far that mention a level were at levels 1, 3, 5, 6, 9 and 12, and the level 6 and 12 players report spellcasters dominating.

I expect that the relatively low levels it seems most people have played at so far are contributing to the perception of balance, because as with previous editions casters really begin to spread their wings as their access to level 4+ spells kicks in.

Well you made the definitive statement so what were your experiences?

Also, wow... whose had enough time to play the game up to level 12 since it was released?

EDIT: Oh, and now I see your level 6 data point wasn't playing the finished version of the game.

Dausuul

Legend

I was the guy reporting level 12 (to address Imaro's question, we didn't play up to that level, it's a short adventure starting at 12th), and here's what I said: "My experience as a caster player is that when I cut loose, I dominate, but I can't cut loose very often. Most of the time I ration my spells carefully, and as a result the noncasters tend to outperform me--not by huge margins, but enough to notice." (Emphasis added.)

You're ignoring all of the qualifiers and constraints to focus on the single phrase "I dominate." The point is that casters retain the ability to go nova, just as in previous editions, and a caster who does go nova will own that encounter. But because your spell slots have been so drastically curtailed from 3E, you can't do that often. You have a choice: Cast at a measured pace, and be about on par or a little below, or nova once or twice and then limp along on cantrips and 1st-level spells the rest of the day.

I should add that I have plenty of experience of caster dominance in 3E, so it's not like I'm one of the people who just pooh-poohs the whole concept. I've played high-level wizards in older editions and I know how much they can warp the game without even trying.

So, what you're saying is that you yourself are not reporting on the basis of any play experience?

Remove ads