• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General 6-8 encounters (combat?)

How do you think the 6-8 encounter can go?

• 6-8 combat only

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • 3-4 combat and 1-2 exploration and 1-2 social

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • 3-4 combat and 3-4 exploration and 3-4 social

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • any combination

Votes: 19 16.8%
  • forget that guidance

Votes: 63 55.8%

• Poll closed .

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It doesn't, really. I've never accepted that the spells listed in the MM are inviolable when it comes to classes that can pick spells and/or learn spells not on the very short list given by the designers. Dispel magic is a very, very, very common and useful spell. I would never give a creature dispel magic for the hut, but rather because it's good against the hut, haste, bless, charms, mage armor, and on and on and on and on.
Dispel magic on a haste spell is just delicious.

I did that in one game to a PC who was using it to keep up with an aquatic villain in the water, only to get it dispelled and see their character get sucked into a whirlpool and nearly die. The hustle the rest of the team did to save them was awesome.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Dispel magic on a haste spell is just delicious.

I did that in one game to a PC who was using it to keep up with an aquatic villain in the water, only to get it dispelled and see their character get sucked into a whirlpool and nearly die. The hustle the rest of the team did to save them was awesome.

Haste is one of very few spells that's great but ALSO has a real and potentially very consequential downside. I wish more spells were like this.

JoeyD473

Adventurer
I only count an encounter as part of the adventuring day is if I expect them to actually use resources. If I have a strictly social encounter and I expect that they are going to only end up talking and not potentially using resources then I don't count it. This is why I tend to use set up more potential combats if I care about the adventuring day at any given point

CapnZapp

Legend
Yeah, to the point that every time someone complains they "break the game", I have to point out that not only are they part of the game, but they have been for a long time. Goodberry, Tiny Hut, Magnificient Mansion, Teleport, Fly- all these spells and more, are legacies.

But you know what edition got rid of them, for the most part?

And was derided for not "feeling like D&D"?

And so they were brought back for that very reason?

Amusing, isn't it?
Older editions contain a lot of stuff.

Not all of it was good.

Classic example: Getting rid of Detect Alignment was good. It meant bad guys no longer needed Hats of Non-Alignment for adventures to function.

Getting rid of, or reducing the power of, spells that say "let's skip this part" is also good.

In some cases this happened ages ago. In others D&D isn't there yet.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Older editions contain a lot of stuff.

Not all of it was good.

Classic example: Getting rid of Detect Alignment was good. It meant bad guys no longer needed Hats of Non-Alignment for adventures to function.

Getting rid of, or reducing the power of, spells that say "let's skip this part" is also good.

In some cases this happened ages ago. In others D&D isn't there yet.
In still other cases the effect is more of a problem now than it was then, due to other mechanical changes.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Like a Wizard not needing to decide ahead of time how many times they're going to cast anything when preparing their spells...
Not just wizards, that impacts every class* with negative ripples, especially when you start factoring in the combination things that were given as boons & penalties one or two steps down to balance out that shift

*Caster and non-caster. No class is an island but 5e too often designed them as such rather than designing them as part of a group working together to compensate & highlight each others weaknesses & strengths

Question:

Does anyone have any actual play accounts of when Tiny Hut screwed up the adventure or in any way actually messed with the DMs plans?

I can think of exactly one time since 2014 when Tiny Hut made an actual difference in game. And it wasn't huge, basically delayed an encounter with something that was plaguing the terrain we were exploring.
I do not. I have many accounts where it worked on our benefit and saved a party member - which is what it is supposed to do. The wizard was the hero for the day.

Remove ads