• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

6 PC playtest - who to clone and how to adjust

grifta67

Explorer
Hi!

Has anyone given the Caves a try with 6 PCs? I know the Playtest was created with 5 PCs in mind, but I'm sure a lot of groups are in the same situation of having 6 players and not wanting to leave someone out.

Adjusting the baddies probably isn't too difficult; just increase the quantity for the most part. I prefer to DM off the cuff anyways, so tweaking encounter numbers up and down is fine.

What I'm a little more puzzled by is if there's a better character to clone than others. I don't want to *completely* throw off the balance.

Has anyone tried this yet and have any tips?

Thanks!

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Why not do what Mearls suggested and flip around some backgrounds and themes to make something new?

Make a fighter with the guardian theme and commoner background?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I don't think you need to do anything special. Hell, have 6 rogues if that floats your group's collective boat. If you're willing to reverse-engineer the math, you might make a custom character by mixing and matching race, class, background, and theme.

In terms of difficulty, I wouldn't change the adventure at all, but (as with many aspects of the playtest rules) it's something you need to deal with on the fly if it becomes a problem.

jadrax

Adventurer
Make a fighter with the guardian theme and commoner background?

Yep, Human/Fighter/Commoner/Guardian is what I would try and build tbh. It shouldn't be too hard now we have a few more of the behind the sheet mechanics bits. I would have a go and post it, except I have signed an agreement saying I won't.

grifta67

Explorer
Yep, Human/Fighter/Commoner/Guardian is what I would try and build tbh. It shouldn't be too hard now we have a few more of the behind the sheet mechanics bits. I would have a go and post it, except I have signed an agreement saying I won't.

Wonderful idea, I'll do something like that to create a 6th PC. I haven't read his interview since the playtest launched, it'll be my first stop tonight.

Thanks!

Kraydak

First Post
Cleric of Moradin X3 (swap out Guardian for Slayer on two of them, swap Str and Wis for all 3)
Cleric of Pelor X1
Wizard X2 (Swap in Slayer for one of them)

KesselZero

First Post
I wouldn't change the adventure itself at all. Part of the fun of such an open-ended module (IMHO) is that it's up to the players how much they want to take on. Maybe your 6-person party wants to mow down kobolds, or maybe they want to take on the orcs that would normally be a tough challenge at level 1. There are many levels of difficulty in the caves-- harder monsters generally being farther back in the ravine-- so there's plenty in there for them to try out without adjusting anything.

Blessed Kitten

First Post
We had 7 players and ran all the characters as is, with an extra fighter and an extra wizard.

I don't know if the DM was adjusting the monsters in the module, but we still found encounters to run away from.

I will also add that with 2 wizards with ray of frost, it is easy to keep a single melee monster locked down where you can safely wear it down from range.

Something like making all the kobolds rats etc not just 1 or 2 HP would make a huge dif. If you can be bothered give them 1d4+1 or whatever.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Try the human cleric with the Slayer theme. You deal damage every round no matter what, just by spamming Radiant Lance. It's like magic missile, with more damage (and it even has a chance to crit). :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads