• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 6e? Why?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Do I want or need a 6th Edition? Not really, I'm really enjoying the current edition.
Does WotC want or need a 6th Edition? Probably not anytime soon, with 5E performing so well.
Does the gaming community want or need a 6th Edition? Doesn't seem to be the case.

Now it is time to the return and update of classic titles. Later the time to try new ideas, and in the last years of the edition they can allow themself higher risks.

The goal for game designers should be a flexible system where fantasy could be mixed with different genres as space opera, planetary romance or urban fantasy. D&D isn't ready yet for crossovers with confrontations amons different playables factions with different levels of magic and/or technology.

If WotC wanted to sell a book with new rules then its titles should be "Unearthed Arcana".

If there is a "new edition" before 2024 the name should be "d20 Modern 2.0.".

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
A lot of the time, a new D&D edition just hits a big reset button and starts with Fighter, Cleric, Magic-User, Thief, and it's another however-many-years' wait to get to what you were hoping for. ;)

Well, that brings up a point - there's at least two versions of "the current publication pace is too slow." In one, the issue is that they are not getting to the specific thing the person wants ("I want Psionics. It isn't out yet. Therefore, the pace is too slow.") In the other, it is simple a desire for new and different ("I get bored. I want new things. I don't get enough new things. Therefore the pace is too slow.")

There's a bit of an assumption in the first kind of person - that the thing they want really is on the list of priorities, and would certainly come around if they just did more stuff. Maybe that asumption is correct, and maybe it isn't.

For the latter kind of person, a new thief is still new, and that's fine.

I expect to start playing an Artificer character on Friday. But I was not waiting for the artificer. When a game came around, the GM just said, "Dude, I think you'd find this nifty." I will get to play it for one character. I don't need to, play it 17 ways from Sunday. The class itself is not a thing I am playing with - I am playing a character who has the class.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, that brings up a point - there's at least two versions of "the current publication pace is too slow." In one, the issue is that they are not getting to the specific thing the person wants ("I want Psionics. It isn't out yet. Therefore, the pace is too slow.") In the other, it is simple a desire for new and different ("I get bored. I want new things. I don't get enough new things. Therefore the pace is too slow.")
Sure, a third or fourth might be a craving for power-creep, or a desire for more mix/match (not necessarily min/max) options to enable yet more out-there/interesting builds.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sure, a third or fourth might be a craving for power-creep, or a desire for more mix/max (not necessarily min/max) options to enable yet more out-there/interesting builds.

Agreed. I might think of those as varieties of "I get bored, I want more stuff" - just particular reasons to want more stuff.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Agreed. I might think of those as varieties of "I get bored, I want more stuff" - just particular reasons to want more stuff.
I'm actually rather glad that 5e has abandoned the relentless pace of previous editions, being better able to focus on individual supplements and the qualities of such releases.

In 3e, it seemed that many of the releases were somewhat rushed (or downright weird, in the case of the Erotic sourcebook).

Remove ads