• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 6e? Why?

Eventually 5e sales will flag and they'll think it's time. If there are other much loved innovations in gaming at the time 6e will be more different if not it will be a slight evolution. Most likely though, having been burned on making radical changes for 4e, whatever new edition will probably have some pretty incremental changes.

But as I write this Amazon's #17 bestseller is the Eberron book. The PHB is #143 and often cracks the top hundred. If you don't want change the solution is to keep buying stuff and keep getting new people to try the hobby. As long as the PHB is a perennial Amazon bestseller and supplements aren't flopping they probably won't change it.

As for whether I want a 5.5e or a 6e, I'm satisfied enough with so much of it that I think I'm happier with the devil I know then risking whatever crapshoot may come next, barring the unlikely scenario the WotC decides that I personally should design a new edition.

Oofta

Legend
As for whether I want a 5.5e or a 6e, I'm satisfied enough with so much of it that I think I'm happier with the devil I know then risking whatever crapshoot may come next, barring the unlikely scenario the WotC decides that I personally should design a new edition.

You really don't want me to design a new version because I would have no clue how to make the game all that much better. I have a few house rules but they're minor tweaks.

I'm sure at some point I'd just panic and start yelling things like "Needs more cowbell!" All races would become variants of minotaurs distinguished by different variations of cowbell.

I can see the reviews now
  • This is a load of bull!
  • Udderly ridiculous
  • Trying to Horn in on the Crazy Cows game craze!
  • Don't be cowed into buying this!
  • I've got a beef with this edition!

And so on. It would not be pretty.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I find it interesting that the same subset of grousers who complain the 5e publication schedule is far too slow and the amount of crunch that's coming out each year is far too low...are the same guys talking about 6e.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I find it interesting that the same subset of grousers who complain the 5e publication schedule is far too slow and the amount of crunch that's coming out each year is far too low...are the same guys talking about 6e.

This is not at all surprising. If you aren't getting enough stuff now to feed your hunger... a new edition might well fill that void.

Tony Vargas

Legend
This is not at all surprising. If you aren't getting enough stuff now to feed your hunger... a new edition might well fill that void.
A lot of the time, a new D&D edition just hits a big reset button and starts with Fighter, Cleric, Magic-User, Thief, and it's another however-many-years' wait to get to what you were hoping for. ;)

I mean, think about it: if you've been anxiously waiting for the Artificer for 5 years, how many years do you get to have fun with it before 6e comes along and doesn't put it in the PH1 again?

The Starter Set seems to be the poorest selling D&D product.

Right now on Amazon: #4 in Dungeons & Dragons Game.

Not saying your wrong; Amazon is only one outlet and things sell better sometimes than others. But if it's ever doing that well through said mega-retailer they must be getting a good number of them out there and even if it's at a low profit margin it's a gateway drug.

Personally I bought it because it was cheap. We had a lot of fun in the lost mines of phandelver. The rest of the box was basically filler if you buy anything else, but, once again, I think I payed $12-14 so whatever.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
The Starter Set seems to be the poorest selling D&D product.

It's literally the oldest 5e product there is having been published in July of 2014, and it's ranked right now #349 in All Books, and was in the top 10 for all books at one point for a while, and was in the top 100 for years. The only reason it seems to have dropped down to #349 is that it has THREE competitors out from WOTC for that same kind of product now - The Essentials Kit, the Rick and Morty Starter Set, and the Stranger Things Starter Set.

For comparison, Pathfinder 2e Core Book is ranked #5000 in that same All Books, just a few months after being published.

The Starter Set has been one of the best selling products in the history of D&D. For you to claim it's one of the poorest selling is frankly baffling.

Remove ads