D&D 5E 70% standard and the Ranger options

Only 70% approval required for adding new content? That's sad. I got the impression it was a lot higher earlier in the edition. I remember 90%+ being the goal back during the play test surveys.

Let the bloat begin 😔

Horwath

Legend
Favored terrain and favored enemy should be removed and something general put in in their place.

No class suffers from "DMs charity" as a ranger.

Funny thing is, Scout rogue is everything a ranger needs/wants to be...

Only 70% approval required for adding new content? That's sad. I got the impression it was a lot higher earlier in the edition. I remember 90%+ being the goal back during the play test surveys.
If it was 90+%, nothing would have ever been published. You'd have a hard time getting 90+% of a large group to agree that the sun comes up in the east, much less that a D&D should have Vancian spellcasting and an alignment system and dragonborn.

Mercule

Adventurer
I think the 70% issue can be addressed by better thought out subclasses. I have never understood the spell casting ranger archetype: the idea of woodsman having to cast a spell to find plants or animals is just really strange. But I think spell casting can be an optional subclass element like the eldritch knight, but not as a core element to a class.
That's because the Ranger isn't "a woodsman". He's the ultimate resourceful survivor. A ranger knows spells not because he needs them to do "his job" or because he worships nature/a nature god. He gets spells because anyone in a D&D setting who wanted to always have "one more contingency" would definitely learn a few bits of mystic lore.

Now, if you're saying that the Ranger should be able to identify plants, find food, etc. without spells, I absolutely agree. I also think that's pretty well represented in the RAW. The spells just help push it a step further.

Also, I'm not necessarily opposed to a spell-less Ranger. I've come to realize that I prefer a dabbler Ranger, but I also prefer the Ranger flavored closer to an arcanist (learned) rather than divine caster (prayer/servitude/channeling), just with spells focused on their environment. I'd rather see a spell-less Ranger that required dips into an actual caster class than have the Ranger presented as some sort of Druidic Paladin.

I'm also indifferent to Rangers with pets (it's a valid archetype, but shouldn't ever be a core/base feature) and still boggle at how Rangers ever got TWF as a marquee class feature (I think the 5E fighting styles are just about perfect for how to handle it). Which just goes to show that there is a pretty wide definition for what a "real ranger" is.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Would like to see a core ranger that does not have spell slots, but the ability to cast some spells as rituals. They would also have the ability to mix healing potions if they had access to plants (including molds, fungi, etc.). Strength of potions advances with level.

Some possible subclasses:
1. wildlands guardian (w/ spell caster abilities like EK)
2. scout/guide (natural terrain/exploration expert)
3. beastchanger (focused on a specific beast type - bear/boar/wolf)
4. giant/humanoid hunter

Not sure about pets...not really a fan of those in terms of game mechanics. But know some consider those iconic.

Remove ads