8 minutes/turn - is that very slow? slow? average?

Hussar

Legend
I wish I was a better artist, because I'm thinking of several situations that could explain it, but would be best explained through a series of comic panels.

The phrases "feather dusters" and "method acting" may be attacked to those situations.

Cheers!

Y'Know, unfortunately, I can actually see the same thing. I once saw a player take over ten minutes per turn playing a 4th level 3e dwarven fighter. It was unbelievable.

Zustiur

Explorer
I know this feeling all too well, but I keep forgetting to actually time our games. I'm a player not the DM, so I don't have a lot of influence, but man do I get bored between turns. It probably isn't helping my cause that I'm one of the fastest so I'm getting the least 'active play time' out of the group.
We played for 8 hours on Sunday. I think my participation added up to about 30 minutes. 8 hours split between 5 players and a DM should give me more time than that...

Storminator

First Post
Just timed our only fight this session - 4+ rounds, 30 player turns, 9 DM turns, lots of out of turn actions on both sides. 66 minutes. We're agog at the idea of 8 minutes per player.

PS

S

Sunseeker

@ OP, after years of playing 4e, here are my thoughts on turn time:

Familiarity with classes is a big one, and of course, that class' own complexity. I expect a Wizard to take longer than a Slayer for example.

Forced choice has generally been my biggest problem, which has led to my primary 4e houserule: You may use a single encounter/daily up to the maximum number of times of that type or greater of daily that you have for your level. ie: if you have 4 "standard" encounters and 2 minor encounters, you can use one standard 4 times, or 1 minor 6 times. This both increases and reduced player choice, allowing players to use the abilities they enjoy and understand over potentially boring, useless or confusing abilities instead. I find that it's a lot easier to decide what to do when you can just choose the power you like and know over the power you don't like and don't know.

Finally: I would ask, how many players do you have?

I generally estimate about 1 minute per player, so with your average group, a round should be about 5 minutes. The DM should have a good idea of what they want to do before the players are done to keep things moving smoothly.

Remove ads