9th level monster conversions!

the Jester

Legend
EDIT: As there's an official version of these guys, I won't be updating them to MM3 standards.

GREY OOZE--- Level 9 Elite Lurker
Medium natural beast (blind, ooze)--- XP 800
---
Initiative +5; Senses Perception +6; blindsight 10; tremorsense 10
HP 76; Bloodied 38
AC 20; Fortitude 23; Reflex 18; Will 19 (see also Corrosive Form)
Immune gaze; Resist acid 10, weapons 5
Saving Throws +2
Speed 4, climb 4 (spider climb); see also Flowing Form
Action Points 1
---
[Melee basic] Slam (standard; at will) Acid: +14 vs. AC; 2d6+5 acid damage.

[Melee] Corrosive Slam
(standard; recharge 4 5 6) Acid: +12 vs. Fortitude; 2d6+5 acid damage, and if the target is wearing metal armor, it gains a wear point. If it has two wear points, reduce its armor bonus by 1. If it has three wear points, the item is destroyed. If the armor is magic, it can receive one additional wear point without harm per tier.

Corrode Weapon (free; when hit by a metal weapon; at will) Acid: Whenever a metal weapon strikes the grey ooze, it may make an attack against the wielder: +12 vs. Reflex; Hit: put a wear point on the weapon. If it has two wear points, reduce attacks and damage made by the weapon by 1. If it has three wear points, the item is destroyed. If the weapon is magic, it can receive one additional wear point without harm per tier.

Flowing Form
(move; at will): The grey ooze shifts 4 squares. It cannot do this when climbing.

Camouflage: The grey ooze resembles wet stone. It requires a Perception check, DC 28, to spot one before it acts.
---
Alignment unaligned; Languages -
Str 21; Dex 12; Wis 14
Con 16; Int 1; Cha 1

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Coffer Corpses look good. I did notice a mistake. In the Knight's entry for Darkening Blow, you refer to it as a Warrior.

Disappointed there's no spellweavers in this or the 10th level conversion.

The Grey Ooze is a lurker, but ... what's lurker-ish about it? I thought Lurkers had specialty attacks for when they've got you by surprise.

I want to say I love this:
[Melee said:
Eat Alive (immediate reaction; when a grabbed target becomes bloodied; at will): +14 vs. Fortitude; Hit: the target is eaten alive: 3d8+5 damage plus ongoing 5 damage and target is restrained (escape ends, but the target is still grabbed in the gar’s mouth).
Great way to handle "Swallow whole" without it being as un-fun as the Purple worm swallow whole.

In fact, I think this would make a good use of the Greenvise.

Here's another option, from a tendriculos:
+12 vs. Fort or Ref (whichever is higher); Target is swallowed whole. Once inside the plant’s mass, the opponent is Restrained and takes 1d8+5 points of acid damage per round. A save roll is made each round the target is inside the plant. A swallowed creature that makes it's save is no longer Restrained and can climb out of the mass through the creature's maw with a successful escape check. A swallowed creature cannot cut its way out due to the monster's Regeneration power, although they can make attacks with natural or one-handed melee weapons weighing 3 lbs. or less against AC 23. A tendriculos’ interior can hold 2 Large, 8 Medium, 32 Small, 128 Tiny, or 512 Diminutive or smaller opponents.

Rechan

Adventurer
Also, Whisper Demon looks good.

Chasme, my god, that aura making so many attacks each round would get tedious. Otherwise, look good.

You do know that the Goristro are in the MM, right? :)

the Jester

Legend
My (very considerably) revised version of 3.5e's whisper demon, from MM4.

This guy has gone through an almost complete rewrite, making him both more 'controllery' and more 'lurky'. Hopefully he would be balanced in play- it is hard to tell and likely would be highly situational.

Attachments

• Whisper Demon.pdf
    74.4 KB · Views: 502

the Jester

Legend
DEADBORN
Source:
3e Monster Manual V.

Deadborn are natural creatures altered before birth, either in the womb or the egg, to spontaneously arise as undead when slain. Although the first deadborn were vultures created from the eggs of giant eagles by evil cultists of Bleak, the techniques and rituals now exist to create deadborn of many different types.

Shunned Outcasts: Deadborn are shunned by other natural creatures of their type. While a few come to associate with undead or creatures from the Shadowfell, most live out a miserable and lonely existence whose pitiful nature is only re-emphasized by the creature's subsequent undeath. Most deadborn are abandoned by their parents, though they seem to be able to survive of exceptionally sparce sustenance.

Full of Spite: Deadborn are born malevolent and are evil through and through, even in cases where the creature would seem to be too stupid to act out of malice. A deadborn creature prefers to torment its prey with a slow death, sometimes even eating helpless creatures alive, and will often take the opportunity to cause misfortune to other creatures simply out of its evil nature.

Breeding Horrors: In the very rare case when deadborn meet and mate- usually a violent and unwholesome affair- they have proven able to breed true, producing other deadborn creatures as offspring. Students of necromancy claim that this is a wonder, but most other scholars find the very concept horrifying.

Deadborn Vulture --- Level 9 Skirmisher
Large natural beast --- XP 400
HP 80; Bloodied 40 Initiative +10
AC 22; Fortitude 21; Reflex 22; Will 21 Perception +4
Speed 3, fly 8 (clumsy)
Immune disease

TRAITS
Moving Target

When the deadborn vulture moves at least 4 squares on its turn and does not have the undead keyword, it gains a +2 bonus to AC and Reflex until the end of its next turn.

STANDARD ACTIONS
(mbasic) Bite * At Will

Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +14 vs. AC.
Hit: 2d10+6 damage.

(close) Foul Breath (poison) * Encounter (see also deadborn)
Attack: Close blast 3 (each creature in blast); +10 vs. Fortitude.
Hit: 3d8+11 poison damage, and the target is dazed (save ends).

TRIGGERED ACTIONS
Deadborn * Encounter

Trigger: The deadborn is first reduced to 0 hit points.
Effect (No Action): The deadborn vulture reanimates with 25 hit points. It gains the shadow origin and undead keyword. Foul breath recharges and it uses it as a free action.
---
Str 15 Dex 18 Wis 10
Con 20 Int 10 Cha 17
Alignment chaotic evil Languages Common

Deadborn Hulk --- Level 14 Brute
Large natural beast --- XP 1,000
A deadborn hulk is a deadborn creature created from an unborn bear. In life, the creature grows into an immense, malformed bear with oversized claws and twisted legs that make it difficult for the hulk to move quickly.
HP 136; Bloodied 68 Initiative +9
AC 26; Fortitude 28; Reflex 24; Will 26 Perception +12
Speed 4

STANDARD ACTIONS
(mbasic) Claw * At Will

Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +19 vs. AC.
Hit: 4d8+9 damage and the target is grabbed (escape DC 21).

(melee) Bite * At Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +19 vs. AC.
Hit: 3d10+9 damage, or 4d10+11 against a target grabbed by the bear.

MOVE ACTIONS
Burst of Speed * Recharges when the deadborn hulk is hit by a ranged or area attack

Requirement: The deadborn hulk must not have the undead keyword.
Effect: The deadborn hulk moves up to 8 squares and gains a +2 bonus to its attack rolls until the end of its turn.

TRIGGERED ACTIONS
Deadborn * Encounter

Trigger: The deadborn is first reduced to 0 hit points.
Effect (No Action): The deadborn hulk reanimates with 42 hit points. It gains the shadow origin and undead keyword.
---
Skills Athletics +19, Intimidate +11
Str 24 Dex 15 Wis 20
Con 20 Int 4 Cha 8
Alignment chaotic evil Languages Common

Attachments

• Deadborn.pdf
    82.3 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
How do you feel about changing aura effects from "STart turn in them" to "end turn in them"? I've seen some people say this livens things up a lot more.

Also, for the Whisper Demon, that's a basic attack, not a melee attack right? Because I remember using something like this and the response from the wizard was "So I punch myself."

the Jester

Legend
How do you feel about changing aura effects from "STart turn in them" to "end turn in them"? I've seen some people say this livens things up a lot more.

I think it's generally a fine change, and makes auras more "controlly", but there are exceptions- with the whisper demon, I made a conscious decision to keep it "starts its turn in the aura" for it. Part of my reasoning was that I wanted the "hit yourself" damage to be part of the whisper demon's expected damage, so I wanted it to be harder to avoid.

Also, for the Whisper Demon, that's a basic attack, not a melee attack right? Because I remember using something like this and the response from the wizard was "So I punch myself."

Correct, a basic, not necessarily melee, attack.

That said, I suppose there's nothing preventing someone from using a punch on themselves by the RAW, but- obviously- that's not my intent! I'd probably allow it at the cost of dropping whatever the pc held in his hands. Even just the cost of a minor action to pick up an implement might dissuade someone with enough minor action powers or items or what have you.

Rechan

Adventurer
Correct, a basic, not necessarily melee, attack.

That said, I suppose there's nothing preventing someone from using a punch on themselves by the RAW, but- obviously- that's not my intent! I'd probably allow it at the cost of dropping whatever the pc held in his hands. Even just the cost of a minor action to pick up an implement might dissuade someone with enough minor action powers or items or what have you.
Well the issue was more that the caster had no melee basic - I wanted him to use a magic attack but he was like "no way!" So. :)

the Jester

Legend
SHIMMERLING SWARM
Source:
3e Monster Manual III.

Shimmerlings are tiny fey folk that congregate in great swarms. Almost exclusively found on the Feywild, shimmerlings are individually as fragile as a dandelion, but in groups they can befuddle and confuse creatures, often amusing themselves by distracting individuals while more dangerous fey creatures move in to attack.

Shimmerling Swarm --- Level 9 Controller
Medium fey humanoid (swarm) --- XP 400
HP 97; Bloodied 48 Initiative +9
AC 23; Fortitude 20; Reflex 22; Will 23 Perception +3
Speed 4, fly 6 (hover) Low-light vision
Immune radiant; Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 10 close and area attacks

TRAITS
Dazzling Illumination (radiant) * Aura 5

The aura is brightly illuminated. An enemy that ends its turn in the aura is dazed until the end of its next turn.

Swarm
The swarm can occupy the same space as another creature, and an enemy can enter its space, which is difficult terrain. The swarm cannot be pulled, pushed or slid by melee or ranged attacks. It can squeeze through any opening that is small enough for a single Tiny creature.

STANDARD ACTIONS
(close) Painful Radiance (radiant) * At Will

Attack: Close burst 1 (each enemy in burst); +12 vs. Reflex.
Hit: 2d6+3 radiant damage.
---
Str 4 Dex 20 Wis 8
Con 17 Int 5 Cha 21
Alignment unaligned Languages Elven

Attachments

• shimmerling swarm.pdf
    72.1 KB · Views: 370

Remove ads