• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A bizarre flanking question

Infiniti2000

First Post
Jack Simth said:
What house rule to do both at once? ...

Both are non-actions under most circumstances. You move silently and hide - neither costs an action (other than the move) to make the opposed checks.
Just keep in mind that you will be moving at 1/4 speed. If you're normal speed is 30, you can move 15ft while hiding and moving silently with two movements. You could only move 5ft as a single move action.

Infiniti2000 said:
Just keep in mind that you will be moving at 1/4 speed.

Say what, now? ;)

SRD said:
Check: Your Hide check is opposed by the Spot check of anyone who might see you. You can move up to one-half your normal speed and hide at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed, you take a –5 penalty. It’s practically impossible (–20 penalty) to hide while attacking, running, or charging.

SRD said:
Check: Your Move Silently check is opposed by the Listen check of anyone who might hear you. You can move up to one-half your normal speed at no penalty. When moving at a speed greater than one-half but less than your full speed, you take a –5 penalty. It’s practically impossible (–20 penalty) to move silently while running or charging.

If your speed is 30, and you move 15' as a move action, you're moving at "up to one-half of your normal speed." Accordingly, you take no penalties to either Hide or Move Silently. If you move at 20', you're moving at "a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed," and take a -5 penalty to both.

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
If your speed is 30, and you move 15' as a move action, you're moving at "up to one-half of your normal speed." Accordingly, you take no penalties to either Hide or Move Silently. If you move at 20', you're moving at "a speed greater than one-half but less than your normal speed," and take a -5 penalty to both.
Aren't they cumulative? I suppose they might not be...hmm.

Infiniti2000 said:
Aren't they cumulative? I suppose they might not be...hmm.

Sorry - I missed the winky smiley above. I added it back in! :D

They aren't cumulative, since they both are keyed off of your movement. You might be thinking of the NWN implementation, where entering Stealth or Search mode slowed you to 1/2 speed, and entering both simultaneously slowed you to 1/4 speed.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Patryn of Elvenshae said:
They aren't cumulative, since they both are keyed off of your movement. You might be thinking of the NWN implementation, where entering Stealth or Search mode slowed you to 1/2 speed, and entering both simultaneously slowed you to 1/4 speed.
I was definitely not thinking about NWN. :) I was thinking that it was a reduction in speed (which would be cumulative). But, it's clearly not. It was one of those brain fart things, that's all. :lol:

PrinceZane

First Post
Hmm.. You can use darkness to hide in, right?

Trying to think of a way to sneak up on someone without the use of magical darkness, deafness, etc.

The only two things I can think of that are natural, are maybe hiding around corners/tables/chairs/etc as you navigate across the room/hall to your victim, or using the darkness to just move while croutching until your in range to do whatever.

Are there any other obvious things I'm missing here or? (I know its really purely situation, I'm thinking any major/often used mechanics that I haven't thought of)

Remove ads