A Caravan to Ein Arris (recruiting closed)

Kafkonia

First Post
The air is buzzing in the market of Khedris – the great market that stretches from the fishmongers on the shore to Caravan Square. Halmaro the Red – master of the powerful Merchants’ Guild, second in power in Khedris only to the emperor of Lantara himself – is organizing a caravan! And this is no ordinary caravan; it will carry goods and gifts for the wedding of Halmaro’s daughter Kira to Prince Eiru of Mashanda.

The caravan will be huge, even by Khedran standards. It includes 220 camels, 50 horses, 40 head of fattened cattle, and 50 oxen pulling five wagons. The wagons are quite a rarity in a caravan; some of the wedding gifts must be huge!

The word is out that Halmaro is looking for herdsmen, scribes, translators, cooks, guides, physicians, laborers, and other hirelings for the caravan. Many of these will come from the various guilds, but there will be plenty of room for freelancers. Of course, guards will be needed too. Caravanning is not without its risks; bandits, highwaymen, and thieves take their toll on the caravans, as do sandstorms, heat, and floods.

Halmaro will pay 200 to 600 GP per person for about 6-8 weeks’ work – one quarter when the caravan sets out, another quarter when the caravan reaches Ayun on the Mashandi border, and the rest when the caravan gets to Ein Arris, the capital of Mashanda. (How much each employee is paid depends on the job and how well they impress their foremen; there is a possibility of a bonus for exceptional work when the caravan reaches Ein Arris.) Halmaro treats his employees fairly, and even encourages his hirelings to trade on their own (he’s always looking for people who might be merchant material.)

Not everyone who applies will be hired, of course, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. And you’ve worked for the Merchants’ Guild in the past when you needed a stretch of steady pay. Right now you are looking for a chance to travel and do something a little out of the ordinary. This might be that chance.

Level: 2nd level
Point Buy: 28 points
Hit Points: full at 1st, half (round up) at second; TBD at later levels
Starting Wealth: 900 GP
Setting: Homebrew mixed with Lantara; details below
XP Allotment: I prefer to allot XP by Encounter Level rather than by CR, as it tends to keep advancement at a slower pace and is more adaptable. I will keep track of the XP, but if it ever becomes an issue (such as for item creation) I will be happy to provide a current value to the player. The characters will start having just crossed the cusp of 2nd level.
Alignment: Any lawful or non-evil.

[SBLOCK=Classes, Feats, Races, Spells, etc.]
Classes Allowed
All PHB classes & DMG's Witch class; I will also entertain psionics from the SRD, but bear in mind that I don't own the XPH at present.
from Unearthed Arcana -- variant core, racial paragon classes
from Complete Arcane -- War Mage, Wu Jen
from Complete Divine -- Spirit Shaman, Favoured Soul
from Complete Warrior -- Hexblade, Samurai, Swashbuckler, alternate Ranger & Paladin
from Complete Adventurer -- Spellthief, Scout
from Tome of Magic -- Binder, Truenamer
from Magic of Incarnum -- Incarnate, Soulborn, Totemist
from Miniatures Handbook -- Marshal, Healer
from Player's Handbook II -- Beguiler, Dragon Shaman, Duskblade
from Eberron Campaign Setting -- Artificer
substitution levels and/or alternate class abilities from all above-listed books, as well as Sandstorm, Frostburn, Dungeonscape, Planar Handbook, Complete Mage, and Complete Scoundrel, Races of the Dragon and Races of Destiny.

Spells, Feats, and Items
from all of the above-listed books, as well as Book of Exalted Deeds, Spell Compendium, and Magic Item Compendium.

Races Allowed
Human, Kalashtar (ECS), Neanderthal (Frostburn), Azurin (Magic of Incarnum), Elf (Grey and Standard), Half-Elf, Half-Human, Goblin*, Hobgoblin*, Kobold*, Planetouched (including MM, MM2, and FF.) Racial variants from Sandstorm and Frostburn are also allowed for the above races; those from UA are not.

*Goblinoid and Kobold societies are different from those described in the MM, and they are not automatically predisposed to evil. Additionally, they are not afflicted with light-sensitivity.
[/SBLOCK]

Please note that this game will be weighted more toward NPC interaction and non-combat encounters than toward combat encounters. Craft, Profession, and Perform skills will all come into play.

Some things that are not allowed to PCs (classes, sources for feats, etc) may be allowed to NPCs, as flavour requires.

[SBLOCK=About the World]
Lying in the south, Lantara is the dominant human nation on the continent, and Khedris -- its capital, and where we start our journey -- is a metropolis, the largest city in the known world. It is named after Khedren, a wise emperor who abolished slavery, lowered taxes, and raised the general standard of living. Lantara is still ruled by an emperor today, but many people say that the Merchant's Guild is as powerful as the Royal Family. To the east, west, and north are mountain ranges, with passes of varying navigability.

Controlling most of the Northern coastline, the Kingdom of Mashanda may be the second most powerful nation on the continent. Few people aside from merchants travel from Mashanda to Lantara, as the interior of the continent is a desert, home to nomadic tribes of Painted Elves, primitive neanderthals, and of course the goblinoid traders who ply the routes between both the larger cities of the continent and the smaller towns less likely to be serviced by Lantaran merchant caravans. What news reaches Khedris indicates that Mashanda is, like Lantara, human-dominated.

Kalashtar, Azurin, and Planetouched are seen only rarely -- exceptional children born without precedent to human parents. They do no breed true, and scholars have not yet found any way of predicting their appearance. The only thing that seems constant is that they are always born to two human parents.

In the mountains, kobold clans mine and trade with the goblinoids, while Snow Elves and neanderthals inhabit the higher altitudes.

Across the mountains to the west lies the Elven Commonwealth of Olenar-Ajir, claimed by its citizens to have once been a continent-spanning civilization long before humans rose to prominence. The majority of the populace consists of standard elves, but some of the exceptionally long-lived grey elves remain, svelte and aloof even from their comrades. Painted and Snow elves are uncommon, as they generally feel unwelcome, and even though few half-elves are found in human lands, the number of half-humans (half-elves raised by elven rather than human society) to be found is smaller still.

To the east of Lantara lies an almost-impassable mountain range, and details of what can be found on the other side are sketchy at best; those few who make the trip can rarely manage to return. It is said that there are ruins there, ancient ruins that suggest the Olenar-Ajirian claims may be true -- but some who tell the tale claim that the ruins are altogether too large to have ever belonged to elves, and that descendants of the true builders still travel amongst the cyclopean architecture, their shapes unlike anything found elsewhere.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

I just cut back on the number of games I'm involved in or I'd be super interested in this. Good luck, Kafkonia. I'm sure you and whoever joins will have a great time!

Rhun

First Post
Looks like fun...I'd love to play, but I think I'll step aside for a bit and let some others get into some games. Let me know if you need additonal players!

:D

Kafkonia

First Post
[SBLOCK=Life in Lantara]
The people of Lantara, and especially the people of Khedris, think of themselves as very modern. Business and trade is one of the driving forces of their economy, along with the fish brought from the southern coast. The laws are fair and their enforcement likewise -- usually.

Magic is uncommon, but no more so than exceptionally skilled artisans, and so doesn't draw excessive amounts of attention. Although the people consider themselves to be members of one religion or another, there is very little in the way of religious fervor -- deities do not walk the land, and amongst the myriad faiths and dozens of gods found in the city, none seem to grant any more power or success to their followers than any of the others. Those gods who are most popular in the city tend to be those who concern themselves with areas that interest the citizens: trade, commerce, travel, and community.

In game terms, this means that there is a lot of freedom for players to define deities for their clerics if they so choose. I would also be happy to provide a list should one be desired.

The city of Khedris is also a mixed community -- most of the people who live there are human, but there are small communities of all other listed races. Grey and standard elves are rare because they tend to stay at home in the Commonwealth; goblinoid merchants and kobolds are often found in the markets; Snow elves find the heat distasteful but some wander in search of new experiences; and Neanderthals and Painted Elves often find the bustle of the of the civilization annoying, although they can usually find homes for their unique talents.
[/SBLOCK]

Kafkonia

First Post
CB -- I admire your willpower, but I want you to know that there will always be a place for you in one of my games. :)

Similarly, Rhun, if you change your mind, feel free to throw your hat in the ring.

okuth0r

First Post
ive been hopeing to get into a game for a while, i think i can hadle this as my first if you dont mind. Im thinking Hobgoblin Samurai...
Pelase if you could give a newbie some steps or if you want a board veteran i will step aside.

Kafkonia

First Post
okuth0r said:
ive been hopeing to get into a game for a while, i think i can hadle this as my first if you dont mind. Im thinking Hobgoblin Samurai...
Pelase if you could give a newbie some steps or if you want a board veteran i will step aside.

I will be picking the PCs that seem best for the game. New, old, or grognard, I don't care. :)

That being said, here are two things that go a long way to making me want to play with you (and this isn't directed at you in particular, okuth0r.)

1) Proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar. I have trouble reading people who don't grasp these elements, and if I have trouble reading someone I'm less likely to pick them. I recognize that English is often a second or third language, and I won't hold this against someone; indeed, it's been my experience that non-native English speakers often have better English than native speakers do.

2) Being a team player. This doesn't mean your PC has to be a pushover or a yes man, but it does mean that you -- as a player -- have to cooperate with your fellow players as well as myself. Your PC may be a b:):):):):)d as long asyou play him in a way that doesn't detract from the fun of the other players. (I would point towards Ivid and his character Dareios in Endur's Ravenloft game as an example of this.)

nonamazing

Explorer
Hey, Kafkonia!

You may recall me from the recent Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil game. I thought I'd put my hat in the ring for this one. It looks like fun.

I read about how the Goblins tend to be traders, but that they mainly stick to the smaller towns and villages. That gave me an idea. I'd like to play a fast-talking goblin merchant who sees this job as his chance to "get discovered" by Halmaro and break into the big time (since it's known that Halmaro is always looking for people who are Merchant's Guild material).

I'm thinking Artificer (it seems like a good class for a merchant). While he probably would have joined the caravan as a hireling, he'll want to draw attention to himself (the better to impress Halmaro), and would jump into fray should the caravan be attacked.

What do you think? I'll put together stats and other details if the idea sounds neat to you.

Rhun

First Post
nonamazing said:
You may recall me from the recent Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil game. I thought I'd put my hat in the ring for this one. It looks like fun.

This so struck me as a "Hello. I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such as adventures as..." comment. It gave me a good laugh.

nonamazing

Explorer
Rhun said:
This so struck me as a "Hello. I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such as adventures as..." comment. It gave me a good laugh.

"Hi! I'm Elminster McClure! You may remember me from such settings as Forgotten Realms!"

(EDIT: Um. Sorry for being off topic.)

Last edited:

Remove ads