• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E A character class with exceptional action economy?

MacMind

First Post
I recently started playing a Tempus Cleric and I've been amazed at how much of a powerhouse he is when it comes to the issue of action economy. Currently at 4th level, he acts as the tank of the party (as nobody else seems to be willing to fill the position). In this role, he either casts a spell (such as bless or shatter) or slams with his warhammer for his main attack. For his bonus action, he will cast/hit with his spiritual weapon, or cast a bonus action spell such as healing word or sanctuary. Finally, as a reaction, he is able to zap anyone in melee with 2d8s of lightning/thunder damage when they hit him 4 times per day. Never have I played a character with such action economy built in to the character straight out of the box from level 1. Usually characters need to wait several levels and devote feats for such an interesting bag of goodies to add to combat.

Can anyone else suggest a class or build which matches such an efficient use of action economy?

Fanaelialae

Legend
Keep in mind that casting a spell as a bonus action will prevent you from casting a non-cantrip spell as an action (you can't cast spiritual weapon and bless in the same round).

Off the top of my head, rogue can match that fairly nicely (albeit, more defensively). Action to attack, bonus action to either make a dual wielding attack or use cunning action (as best suits your circumstances), and reaction to uncanny dodge (or cast shield, if an arcane trickster).

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
I take it you mean a Tempest cleric?

Yeah, that's a sweet domain build. I can only say: Enjoy it!

And, no, I do not have a competitor for it.

raleel

Explorer
Thanks for this. I really like characters that make full use of it and haven't spent much time looking.

Light cleric matches yours almost exactly.
Battlrmaster fighter with Parry does it as well
Monk does starting at level 3 with deflect missiles
Lore and valor bards can with dual weapons

Jaelommiss

First Post
Fighter 1 (protection fighting stlye) multiclassed with rogue 3 (Mastermind) is pretty good. Reaction to impose disadvantage on an attack against an ally within 5 ft., bonus action to Help at up to 30 ft., and action to attack w/ sneak attack.

I've been playing a character who started with that, and I've always had something helpful to do. I added a few levels of barbarian (wolf totem, all allies have adv. on melee attacks against enemies next to me while raging, reckless to allow sneak attack every turn) and it makes for a great combat support character with lots of flexibility. The tanking capabilities are pretty good too. Half-plate and shield puts me up to 19 AC, and raging resists most of the damage we come up against.

thethain

First Post
Polearm master will grant you a giant boost to utilizing your action economy.

Every turn you can take a bonus action attack (only deals 1d4 damage, but still applies STR, Rage, or Great Weapon damage).

And now you can use your reaction to attack creatures entering OR leaving your range.

MacMind

First Post
Hmm, so in relation to the original question, the protection fighter is the only one I can see who has such an action economy off the boot at level 1 (without the need for feats), in addition to the light cleric. There have been some great combinations mentioned, but not so many that start off with such abilities. They all need feats or to wait until 3rd level or so as far as I can see...

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Hmm, so in relation to the original question, the protection fighter is the only one I can see who has such an action economy off the boot at level 1 (without the need for feats), in addition to the light cleric. There have been some great combinations mentioned, but not so many that start off with such abilities. They all need feats or to wait until 3rd level or so as far as I can see...
Yea, reliable reactions are pretty rare in 5e (which I'm pretty sure is intentional). Tempest Cleric is easily at the front of the pack in terms of gaining one, plus it's packaged with the suite of bonus action spells all Clerics have access to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads