• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A cleric and his deity's favored weapon

Azlan

First Post
1. Does a cleric have to wield – as often as possible, in combat – his deity's favored weapon? If, say, I'm playing a cleric of Pelor, whose favored weapon is a mace, and I find a +1 morningstar, can I switch from using my non-magic mace, to using that +1 morningstar?

2. If a cleric does have to wield his deity's favored weapon, what about a multi-class cleric? It would be a shame to be a fighter/cleric, and be proficient with all martial weapons, but be forced to wield a simple weapon because that's my deity's favored weapon. And if I were playing a fighter/cleric of Pelor, the sun god, and I found a Sun Sword, it would be a crying shame if I couldn't wield it because of the limitation imposed by my god's favored weapon. (A fighter/cleric of Pelor, wielding a Sun Sword, sounds like an awesome combination, to me.)

3. If I choose to be a cleric, but I do not choose the War domain, do I still gain proficiency with my god's favored weapon even if that weapon is not among the cleric's weapon proficiencies? (Note, if the answer to question #1 is "yes", then the answer to this question can't be "no". That is, unless a non-War domain cleric is forced to take, as one of his feats, a proficiency with that favored weapon, that he would otherwise not be proficient with.)

4. What are the consequences, if any, a cleric suffers if he does not prefer to use his deity's favored weapon?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Favored weapon of your diety is pretty much pure flavor unless you either have war domain or are casting spiritual weapon, ime... It can add some good roleplaying to prefer that weapon, but worshiping your diety doesn't have to mean pretending to be him - a cleric could just as easily be uncomfortable "presuming" to weild the weapon of his god as feeling that it was the proper weapon to have....

Kahuna Burger

First Post
werk said:
I think this one is no too. "A cleric who chooses the War domain receives the Weapon Focus feat related to his deity’s weapon as a bonus feat. He also receives the appropriate Martial Weapon Proficiency feat as a bonus feat, if the weapon falls into that category." I presume that the "he" in the second sentance is the same cleric who chooses the war domain, not your average cleric. If you want to weild your diety's favored weapon efficiently and it's Martial take the war domain or spend a feat.

Murrdox

First Post
1 - No. Wielding the favored weapon of your deity is a mark of honor and respect for that deity. However, it is not required, but likely church officials encourage it. Wielding another weapon would be like being in the army, and using a gun manufactured by a country other than your own. (not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea)

2 - No. It depends on how loyal a Cleric you are, and what type of "flavor" you imagine for your character.

3 - No. Although I'd like to point out that in my campaign we have House Ruled this as a yes.

4 - None, but completely dependent on DM. If the Cleric's superiors order him to wield the Holy Mace of Pelor, but the Cleric insists on wielding a longsword... then he can probably expect to be punished by the church for not respecting their traditions.

lukelightning

First Post
Murrdox said:
4 - None, but completely dependent on DM. If the Cleric's superiors order him to wield the Holy Mace of Pelor, but the Cleric insists on wielding a longsword... then he can probably expect to be punished by the church for not respecting their traditions.

You could say this for just about any class.

"We barbarians of the Wolf Tribe only wield tridents!"
"If you want to be a wizard in this town, we better not see you carrying a staff... clubs only!"
"Alright, footpad, you're a member of the Ducky Dozen now. Get rid of that short sword, we use rapiers!"

Remove ads