• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A couple quick DS questions

Perun

Mushroom
I'll be going home for two weeks at the beginning of October, and it might just happen my gaming group will gather for the first time in a long while. We'll be giving the new, shiny Dark Sun a shot :) I'll only be "guest starring" for a session or two, but I'm really excited about playing D&D again :)

I've been reading through the DS material, and one thing in the Dragon #390 article,Psionics, magic, and metal, caught my attention -- Rich Baker says:
Dragon 390 said:
In Athas, steel (or bronze or any other metal) is a masterwork material with a minimum enhancement value of +3. In other words, if you find a steel longsword, it’s automatically a +3 steel longsword at the bare minimum.
This is the only place I've seen this rule mentioned. There is a similar line in the equipment sections of the Chapter 4 of the DSCS, p. 119, but it talks specifically about armour, not weapons.

So, was this a remnant of some previous version of the rule accidentally left in the article, or am I just blind and unable to find the relevant section in the book?

(I'm assuming it's the former, since some of the DS pregens (all 1st-level characters) had metal weapons, and those certainly weren't +3 weapons :)

Also, if anyone knows where in the old 2e Dark Sun material various human ethnicities were described, I'd be grateful. I know humans of Draj have the South American theme, Raam (?) is somewhat Egyptian in flavour, and Lalai-Puy's city-state has African flavour, but I can't remember where it's all detailed.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Initiate

First Post
I think it was left in the article by accident. I don't recall reading anything about trouble with metal weapons in the DSCS.

I could be mistaken however.

bganon

Explorer
I don't know where the original ethnic info is, but the Wikipedia page actually lists them:

Balic - Greek (or I've seen some say Roman)
Draj - Aztec
Gulg - African
Nibenay - Angkor (1000 years ago was a huge urban sprawl in what is now Cambodia)
Raam - Egyptian
Tyr - Tyre (major trading city 3000 years ago in what is now Lebanon)
Urik - Babylonian

Remove ads