News Digest for the Week of November 11

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! Even more Dragonlance previews, Dungeons & Dragons movie release date moved, new Cyberpunk starter set announced, and more! For a quick summary of the week’s news, Jessica Hancock will bring you up to speed with EN Live's This Week in TTRPG every Friday. Don’t forget, you can keep up with all the week’s gaming news in detail with...

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! Even more Dragonlance previews, Dungeons & Dragons movie release date moved, new Cyberpunk starter set announced, and more!

For a quick summary of the week’s news, Jessica Hancock will bring you up to speed with EN Live's This Week in TTRPG every Friday.

Don’t forget, you can keep up with all the week’s gaming news in detail with Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk. This week, Morrus, Peter, and Jessica talk about what they’d change in the Dragonlance setting.

531ae248324339d70785a6f354c5da20_original.png

In case you missed it elsewhere on EN World this week:
F3DB060F-C73C-4644-95C5-376C2375CBA8.jpeg

More Dragonlance previews came out this week, starting with new images of Takhisis in both her human and dragon forms. But if you want an in-depth look at what to expect from the relaunch of the Dragonlance setting, here on EN World Beth Rimmels looks at the Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen adventure along with the board game Dragonlance: Warriors of Krynn. Not only does Beth go through the information we have about the new adventure but also how the board game will interact with the RPG campaign. Dragonlance: Shadow of the Dragon Queen is available for pre-order now in hardcover and as part of a bundle that includes the board game for release on December 6 in retail, while you can get early access on November 22 to the digital version on D&D Beyond with purchase of a digital/physical bundle.

51MtjOFXX1L._AC_SY780_.jpg

Chris Perkins posted a blog on D&D Beyond yesterday discussing the creative process and new procedures that Wizards of the Coast has put in place to following controversy from the Spelljammer: Adventures in Space release. The issue stemmed from the hadozee, a species of sentient ape-like beings in the Spelljammer setting that resulted in an errata and changes to the D&D Beyond version of the setting book and future reprints and the company issuing an apology for the material. The new policy will feature a minimum of three reviews by a team of cultural consultants before release, specifically at the text creation, art creation, and final product review phases of development. Each round of reviews will feature an initial report from the consultants delivered to the Product Lead to make a plan of action to address issues and a second review of the proposed plan before it is implemented. Any new contect created as part of this plan will also undergo the same review process. This policy will be in place for all new products going forward as well as all reprints of previous material.

share.png

Deadline reports a release date shuffle will affect several upcoming Paramount Pictures releases including Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. The horror film Scream 6 will move into the March 3 slot while Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves has been pushed back to March 31. No reason was given for the move, but it does place the D&D film as the only genre film opening that weekend as it will be competing with the disco musical Spinning Gold, the biopic of boxer George Foreman Heart of a Lion, and the crime drama A Thousand and One. It will also place the fantasy film at the end of a month packed with anticipated genre releases rather than the start of it with the sci-fi film 65 releasing on March 10, Shazam! Fury of the Gods set for March 17, and John Wick Chapter 4 coming out March 24. It may also be an attempt to create a longer tail as there are no big genre film releases scheduled until the April 7 release of The Super Mario Bros Movie. Regardless of the reason, we’ve now got an extra three weeks before we’ll see Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves in theaters on March 31, 2023.

PZO7120_Starfinder InterstellerSpecies_3D-MOCK.png

Paizo released an overview of what will be in the upcoming Starfinder sourcebook Interstellar Species. The hardcover will include a brand new class called the evolutionist able to change their body through a combination of mystic tradition, extensive augmentation, and deliberate genetic mutation. There will also be an in-depth look at 25 fan-favorite playable species with new character options including feats, spells, and innovative gear. For those who want to create their own species, the book will have full rules for that including customizing their appearance, culture, and abilities. Finally, the book has 72 NPCs covering a wide range of themes and CRs with complete stat blocks and suggestions for incorporating them into your game. The book is set for a retail release on November 29 and a retail price of $44.99.

lankhmar.jpg

Goodman Games announced a release date of February 2023 for Monsters & Magic of Lankmar, a 5e sourcebook based on the Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser series by Fritz Leiber. Created in collaboration with the Leiber Estate, the book will include more than 20 new monsters and 15 new spells and magic items based on those from the original novels to bring your 5e games to the world of Nehwon. The book was funded via a IndieGoGo campaign in September raising $3,339 from 199 backers. The 24-page book will retail for $11.99 when it hits store shelves in February with backers of the IndieGoGo campaign receiving theirs between December and January.

s1-poster-thumbnail-5d4f3af2.jpg

Fans of the Netflix anime series Cyberpunk Edgerunners can finally experience the excitement of the series at the tabletop as R. Talsorian Games announced the upcoming release of the Cyberpunk Edgerunners Mission Kit. The new introductory box set for the Cyberpunk RED system will update the setting to the 2077 era of the Netflix series and the CD Projekt Red video game Cyberpunk 2077. New players will have everything they need to play including essential rules and lore about the Dark Future, Night City, and Edgerunners team while existing players will get their first glimpse at the cyberware, weapons, and netrunning tools of the 2077 era. This set is still in development so no release date or pricing is yet available.

unnamed.png

Modiphius announced a new line of print-at-home STL files for Star Trek Adventures to print your own miniatures using your 3D printer. Two sets are available, the Original Series Landing Party featuring male and female models for Andorians, Denobulans, Humans, Tellarites, and Vulcans in TOS era uniforms and the Next Generation Klingon Warband featuring a female Klingon lieutenant, two female Klingon warriors, male Klingon captain, two male lieutenants, and two male warriors. The Original Series Landing Party collection of STL files is available for £40.00 ($46.41), the Klingon Warband for £30.00 ($35.79), or individual models for £5.00 ($5.96). Reminder: These are the digital STL files for use in 3D printers and not the miniatures yourself. You’ll still need to print the miniatures yourself.

ToysOfBoundlessWonder_1200x675.jpg

Paizo announced the charity toy drive Toys of Boundless Wonder this holiday season. Participating game stores will act as drop-off sites for the charity Toys for Tots that provides toys to families in need during the holiday season. Paizo organized play participants will also get goodies as players of Pathfinder Society and Starfinder Society events will receive bonus achievement points throughout the event. The drive starts November 25 and culminates in a special event on December 10 where stores will run the new Pathfinder Society Scenario #3-98: Expedition into Pallid Peak. This adventure run has multiple tables playing at the same time and working together to delve into the dungeon and explore its treasures. Eleven stores in the United States are currently participating and registrations are open if your local store hasn’t signed up yet.

That’s all from me for this week! Don’t forget to support our Patreon to bring you more gaming news content. If you have any news to submit, email us at news@enpublishingrpg.com, and you can get more discussion of the week’s news on Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk every week. You can follow me on Twitch to get notifications when I go live, subscribe to Gamer’s Tavern on YouTube for videos on gaming history, RPG reviews, and gaming Let’s Plays, or you can listen to the archives of the Gamer’s Tavern podcast. Until next time, may all your hits be crits! Note: Links to Amazon, Humble Store, Humble Bundle, and/or DriveThru may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I missed the Lankhmar 5e announcement and looking at the number of backers for what is semi popular, not many might have seen it either. Picking this one up in February so thanks for covering it for us.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm curious how the Lankhmar book is received. I backed it digitally, rather than physically, because a lot of the monsters in it are extremely specific to the setting and don't have an obvious way to port them into my campaign. The spells and magic items are also more "inspired by" than "ripped from the pages of" the books.

That said, I hope it's a hit, because I think a similar book adapting Dying Earth would be more broadly applicable to D&D, as one could just move over a bunch of the Dying Earth spells that aren't already in D&D (hello, Prismatic Spray) and it'd be a very good fit. Likewise all the monsters explicitly created by wizards in the Dying Earth setting.

Abstruse

Legend
I'm curious how the Lankhmar book is received. I backed it digitally, rather than physically, because a lot of the monsters in it are extremely specific to the setting and don't have an obvious way to port them into my campaign. The spells and magic items are also more "inspired by" than "ripped from the pages of" the books.

That said, I hope it's a hit, because I think a similar book adapting Dying Earth would be more broadly applicable to D&D, as one could just move over a bunch of the Dying Earth spells that aren't already in D&D (hello, Prismatic Spray) and it'd be a very good fit. Likewise all the monsters explicitly created by wizards in the Dying Earth setting.
I thought it was interesting because it's not some big bloated 300 page hardcover. They're assuming anyone buying a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser RPG book already knows the setting and doesn't need it described to them all over again, they just need the stats and rules and tips to add the flavor of the setting into the system. I'd like to see more small, cheap licensed products like that.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I thought it was interesting because it's not some big bloated 300 page hardcover. They're assuming anyone buying a Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser RPG book already knows the setting and doesn't need it described to them all over again, they just need the stats and rules and tips to add the flavor of the setting into the system. I'd like to see more small, cheap licensed products like that.
It's also to test the waters. If it is a big hit (and the small IndieGoGo numbers suggest that maybe it won't be), Goodman said it could pave the way for something bigger.

But I agree: I have all the Lankhmar setting stuff I personally need, between the books and the internet. A pro doing the mechanics is all that's important to outsource for me.

I am curious at "extremely specific" in this context.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I am curious at "extremely specific" in this context.
  • Behemoth
  • Beloved of Tyaa
  • Bleak Shore Executioner
  • Dragon of Nehwon (including customization tables)
  • Fish-Of-The-Air
  • Ghost Hound
  • Ice Gnome
  • Invisibles of Stardock (including Duelist and Noble Wizard variants)
  • Kleshite Ghoul
  • Leviathan
  • Nehwon Ghoul (including Raid Captain variant)
  • Rats of Lankhmar Below (in 2 sizes)
  • Simorgyan (including Noble variant)
  • Simorgyan Manta
  • Snow Serpent
  • Statue of Devourers
  • War Cat

• Behemoth
  • Beloved of Tyaa
  • Bleak Shore Executioner
  • Dragon of Nehwon (including customization tables)
  • Fish-Of-The-Air
  • Ghost Hound
  • Ice Gnome
  • Invisibles of Stardock (including Duelist and Noble Wizard variants)
  • Kleshite Ghoul
  • Leviathan
  • Nehwon Ghoul (including Raid Captain variant)
  • Rats of Lankhmar Below (in 2 sizes)
  • Simorgyan (including Noble variant)
  • Simorgyan Manta
  • Snow Serpent
  • Statue of Devourers
  • War Cat
Nice spread. And you don't feel the stats could be of use with a reskinning for another setting?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Nice spread. And you don't feel the stats could be of use with a reskinning for another setting?
I need to look at the write-ups and think about it, I'm sure, but of that list, only the ghost hound, rats of Lankhmar, snow serpent, statue of devourers and war cat immediately strike me as something I'd use in my game.

Ironically, I would have been very happy with if they'd have included a range of Thieves Guild NPCs, as I can always use those at different CRs and with different specialties (snipers, pickpockets, muggers, etc.).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads