A curse

Xanto

First Post
Rain Cloud said:
Hey Hey, calm it down. This just got way way out of hand.

As I mentioned I dont know how many posts ago....

We Are All Human.

We all have our follies and misfortunes and desires.
Think about it. Stop the banter and complaning and very hurtful comments of 'You all disgust me" because honestly, that was about the WORST and most vile comment I have ever had to read posted on this forum.

That's pretty much what I was saying. And there was no tension or anger in my post, or none that I intended, but like I said, others may take it negatively.

Bhryn

First Post
Kids. Do I have to send you all to seperate corners? :p

I think a lot of those replying here have reached stages of 'apathy' towards these kinds of posts. If you want it to stop, stop posting, I think that is what Krystal and Morty and Deirdre are all aiming at. Stop feeding the relentless respawn of these kinds of posts.

John, sorry that all this always seems to get out of hand, but I can see both sides of this argument and really, I do sympathise with your original topic question of 'people falling out of touch' but that's life. It's not a curse, it's just how this world works.

Now, if we could all get back to our regularly scheduled programming without me having to resort to caning any of you... :] despite how fun that would be ;)

B xxx

Rain Cloud

First Post
Ok, this is not anger here, this is me restating something so it doesnt get lost in the chaos.

"Something ive been thinking about for awhile after seeing some interesting events on chat would be to have one day in a DM room where everyone could modify there discriptions and bring in there favorite characters though under new circumstances. We have them all be 16 years older. Any with children would have the horrid teenagers to talk about with freinds. People could play out the intrest of human characters would be well aged while those of elves and long lived races would barely be touched by time. Personally it sounds fun to me and the few I did mention it to thought that would be a really awsome idea."

Now, anyone whos up for it lets start a new thread which i will be doing now.

Deirdre

First Post
Krystal said:
Do you HAVE to be so damned negative? It's no wonder why people don't want to play here anymore, that's all I ever see! I've never seen it quite this bad, and yes, I'll pull the veteran card out, I've been here a lot longer than a good majority of you.

I can only speak for myself. I was not in anyway trying to be negative. I was trying to be tactful and informative. Mortisha earlier said the same thing I did. Obviously it wasn't understood or responded well to. My post was another attempt to clarify why there is so much frustration over this issue.

Xanto said:
To be honest... I think you just stated what you were firmly against, negativity. Instead of keeping it straight and saying people are negative, you go into a rant about how people are kissing and are in relationships.

People turn negative because their kind attitudes clearly didn't work out in the first place... just as you provided. I just really think everyone wanted to see less of John's posts that tend to get out of hand in certain ways as example in this thread because of the way he presents them. Sure some took it to the limit but who's to say they are wrong? Certainly not you.

People can give their opinions and if they are 'negative', so be it. It's how someone takes it, that's where the problem lies and you took it negatively, just like any of us can or would. And that's how many will take your statements. It's a simple common way of how we think and absorb things around us. So don't brand people for what they do because in the end, you do the same, just like myself and everyone else.

Xanto's response is very well put.

Krystal said:
I've never seen it quite this bad, and yes, I'll pull the veteran card out, I've been here a lot longer than a good majority of you.

And I just wanted to clarify one simple thing:

"Just because you (ambiguous) IC/OOC can't identify with a character name does not determine if they are/aren't a veteran player."

There is no reason for me to clarify how long I've been with ISRP. Also no player should insinuate to another that their opinion doesn't need expressing because they haven't been onsite that long. This is a community, new or old, we have the right to address an issue that has become disruptive.

Last edited:

Krystal

First Post
There is addressing an issue, and there is being nasty.

Let people criticize me for my "negativity". I don't care. The fact of the matter is that I've seen nothing but antagonism toward John. Every post he makes, people come out of the woodworks and start assaulting him. If my being plain and simple about how I see things and pointing out all the negativity that keeps getting thrown at him is being negative, then fine, call it that. It doesn't make you right. There is a difference between pointing out the negativity and expressing your disdain for it and being out-right negative. I don't care what anyone says, there's no reason for the behavior I've seen from people towards him. Even if you HATE him, even if you think he's a FOOL that doesn't mean everyone has the right to mob him and cut him down.

And that was what I was pointing out. All I see is a mob mentality. You're either in or your out. And if you're out, all the "ins" assault you whenever you say anything. Do I agree that some of his posts might be a little over the top? Sure, they might. But when all you seem to get is negativity from people, can you really blame the guy?

And really, to turn around and go "Look, you posting here isn't wanted, go post somewhere else" isn't being negative to some extent? You're basically telling the guy his points and opinions aren't valid, go somewhere else. "Here's a quarter, go call someone who cares."

Because to be honest, would you respond any different to him if he was in the OOC and tried to start up a serious conversation on it? And you know, just because he doesn't do what others tell him to doesn't mean he's ignoring it. It just means he disagrees, and he's well within his rights to do so. To tell him that because he doesn't take the advice of other people who (it's implied) know better means he shouldn't be complaining is a bit unfair.

But, everyone will think what they want, and I can't change that. And I don't care to. I was just sick and tired of seeing the attacks, of seeing the negativity. This isn't a community, at least not a caring one, not from what I've seen. I don't think the treatment he's gotten has been very fair. Sure, maybe no one wants to listen to his complaints, but that's as easy as not reading his threads. People say "I don't read your threads because I don't want to hear it, but I will when someone complains." That just tells me they're looking for an excuse. If they really seriously wanted to wash their hands of it, they'd tell the person "Yeah, he bugs me too" and leave it at that. Not come on and make a show of how they ignore the threads and yet turn around and not.

For crying out loud, I've seen snerts treated better than this, and he's nowhere NEAR as bad as a snert.

Xanto

First Post
Krystal said:
There is addressing an issue, and there is being nasty.

Let people criticize me for my "negativity". I don't care. The fact of the matter is that I've seen nothing but antagonism toward John. Every post he makes, people come out of the woodworks and start assaulting him. If my being plain and simple about how I see things and pointing out all the negativity that keeps getting thrown at him is being negative, then fine, call it that. It doesn't make you right. There is a difference between pointing out the negativity and expressing your disdain for it and being out-right negative. I don't care what anyone says, there's no reason for the behavior I've seen from people towards him. Even if you HATE him, even if you think he's a FOOL that doesn't mean everyone has the right to mob him and cut him down.

And that was what I was pointing out. All I see is a mob mentality. You're either in or your out. And if you're out, all the "ins" assault you whenever you say anything. Do I agree that some of his posts might be a little over the top? Sure, they might. But when all you seem to get is negativity from people, can you really blame the guy?

And really, to turn around and go "Look, you posting here isn't wanted, go post somewhere else" isn't being negative to some extent? You're basically telling the guy his points and opinions aren't valid, go somewhere else. "Here's a quarter, go call someone who cares."

Because to be honest, would you respond any different to him if he was in the OOC and tried to start up a serious conversation on it? And you know, just because he doesn't do what others tell him to doesn't mean he's ignoring it. It just means he disagrees, and he's well within his rights to do so. To tell him that because he doesn't take the advice of other people who (it's implied) know better means he shouldn't be complaining is a bit unfair.

But, everyone will think what they want, and I can't change that. And I don't care to. I was just sick and tired of seeing the attacks, of seeing the negativity. This isn't a community, at least not a caring one, not from what I've seen. I don't think the treatment he's gotten has been very fair. Sure, maybe no one wants to listen to his complaints, but that's as easy as not reading his threads. People say "I don't read your threads because I don't want to hear it, but I will when someone complains." That just tells me they're looking for an excuse. If they really seriously wanted to wash their hands of it, they'd tell the person "Yeah, he bugs me too" and leave it at that. Not come on and make a show of how they ignore the threads and yet turn around and not.

For crying out loud, I've seen snerts treated better than this, and he's nowhere NEAR as bad as a snert.

To be honest... again... I think you're putting just a little too much negative credit on these people. No one is completely banishing him and telling him to get a life and go elsewhere. People are simply saying that if he doesn't like it so much then he should take a step back and see if he truly likes ISRP or not. You're taking everything too far and putting words into people's mouths.

And if he went OOC to someone and really asked them to sit down and talk with them, I'm sure plenty would gladly agree to talk things through. And I do think you're negative in a sense saying that no one cares because they do.

Nobody is mob attacking him, no one is setting up a group and planning to harass him, they are just statements about their opinions like he gets to state them rightly so himself.

Bari

First Post
Look, for the first time, I'm gonna be serious in a post. Because I'm sick of this? Of course not. I don't get sick of listening to people, even if they say the same thing over and over. It doesn't mean they are stupid, it means they are finally understanding it.

We are NOT attacking Jhon. Not all of us, at least. Personally I don't remember anyone doing it, but, I'm not gonna read the whole thread again just to answer with 100% accuracy, when I can do with a 65%.
There are ways to tell things. If someone asks for your opinion, you have to be true. If you don't like it, you can't just say, "I absolutely LOVE it!". Unless it's a special case. And I personally think Jhon is like anyone else here, no special case (and I'm being exclusive? Yep, I am. Too bad. ) When it's not a special case, you just say, "Nah, I don't like it." And if the other guy looks at you sadly, you can say, "Not because it's bad! I just don't like it." Or then you can say, "I don't like it, it's horrible and you suck at this."

Most people here, as far as I can see, have chosen the second, "I don't like it." That's not negativity. That's honesty. Maybe you think he's bad at it, but telling him "you suck at it" is not honesty, that's just flaming.

Problems don't end well when you "don't care". Ignoring is not the solution. I wanted to stay out of this. I like Jhon, he's a nice chap. That's why I dittoed Deirdre, because I think that too. Constructive critics DO exist, even if they are rare. So it's not about turning your back on people beacuse you can't get them to agree with you. It's about working it out, no matter how much work it takes. And even if you don't get an A as a result, a B is always better than a D.

I have to agree, there was some -sort- of attack to him. The whole signature thing. It's HIS signature, and he puts it the way he wants. I think Jhon has put there, things he considers true. So why blame it? It only repeats once per thread, it's not like it's there bugging you all the time. Hell, most signatures here make me sigh. At least his makes some sense.

In few words, sometimes you have to be direct and go straight to the point for people to understand. I, personally, never wanted to attack Jhon. But, and I quote his signature here:
"-One does not ever realize the depths of one's self, until either pointed out, or made clear of by someone else that they either desire, or have had a great friendship with, family included."
I have not a "great friendship" with him. I never met him, on the real word, and for me, that's a requirement to have a real great friendship. But I consider him a friend enough, hence why I dittoed the others.

I felt the need to get out of my lame goofiness for once and explain this, because people here either say nasty things as "you disgust me!" or "kids, kids, lock the thread, it's off topic". Maybe it's off topic, but these things need to be talked out, otherwise they repress them and burst them out like Krystal did, no flame intended, just an example. Because you did burst out.

So don't say "I don't care". Because in the same text you say that, you also say "This isn't a community, at least not a caring one, not from what I've seen."

Now when people start pointing out in what I'm wrong here, I won't get mad at them, or "not care". I'll listen and say, "Damn, that's true." So I don't repeat it in the future. It's called learning.

Last edited:

Xanto

First Post
Bari said:
Look, for the first time, I'm gonna be serious in a post. Because I'm sick of this? Of course not. I don't get sick of listening to people, even if they say the same thing over and over. It doesn't mean they are stupid, it means they are finally understanding it.

We are NOT attacking Jhon. Not all of us, at least. Personally I don't remember anyone doing it, but, I'm not gonna read the whole thread again just to answer with 100% accuracy, when I can do with a 65%.
There are ways to tell things. If someone asks for your opinion, you have to be true. If you don't like it, you can't just say, "I absolutely LOVE it!". Unless it's a special case. And I personally think Jhon is like anyone else here, no special case (and I'm being exclusive? Yep, I am. Too bad. ) When it's not a special case, you just say, "Nah, I don't like it." And if the other guy looks at you sadly, you can say, "Not because it's bad! I just don't like it." Or then you can say, "I don't like it, it's horrible and you suck at this."

Most people here, as far as I can see, have chosen the second, "I don't like it." That's not negativity. That's honesty. Maybe you think he's bad at it, but telling him "you suck at it" is not honesty, that's just flaming.

Problems don't end well when you "don't care". Ignoring is not the solution. I wanted to stay out of this. I like Jhon, he's a nice chap. That's why I dittoed Deirdre, because I think that too. Constructive critics DO exist, even if they are rare. So it's not about turning your back on people beacuse you can't get them to agree with you. It's about working it out, no matter how much work it takes. And even if you don't get an A as a result, a B is always better than a D.

I have to agree, there was some -sort- of attack to him. The whole signature thing. It's HIS signature, and he puts it the way he wants. I think Jhon has put there, things he considers true. So why blame it? It only repeats once per thread, it's not like it's there bugging you all the time. Hell, most signatures here make me sigh. At least his makes some sense.

In few words, sometimes you have to be direct and go straight to the point for people to understand. I, personally, never wanted to attack Jhon. But, and I quote his signature here:
"-One does not ever realize the depths of one's self, until either pointed out, or made clear of by someone else that they either desire, or have had a great friendship with, family included."
I have not a "great friendship" with him. I never met him, on the real word, and for me, that's a requirement to have a real great friendship. But I consider him a friend enough, hence why I dittoed the others.

I felt the need to get out of my lame goofiness for once and explain this, because people here either say nasty things as "you disgust me!" or "kids, kids, lock the thread, it's off topic". Maybe it's off topic, but these things need to be talked out, otherwise they repress them and burst them out like Krystal did, no flame intended, just an example. Because you did burst out.

So don't say "I don't care". Because in the same text you say that, you also say "This isn't a community, at least not a caring one, not from what I've seen."

Now when people start pointing out in what I'm wrong here, I won't get mad at them, or "not care". I'll listen and say, "Damn, that's true." So I don't repeat it in the future. It's called learning.

Exellently said, couldn't have put it better myself. Exactly what I was shooting for and more.

Deirdre

First Post
Allot of this 'antagonism' started when people came in droves to help him out. Especially in this particular thread, and his response was,

John a.k.a Sir D said:
*laughs* Yes, that is right, I laughed. I find a lot of this advice laughable, I am sorry. This has all been done a billion times over and over again.

If you don't want advice or opinions (negative or positive), don't open yourself up to them. Don't post on the forum and not expect anyone not to respond.

Krystal said:

Not once has someone said this. What I said was

Deirdre said:
If you want constructive criticism verses angry criticism start contacting players via other means then the forum, because obviously this approach isn't working in your favor. Posting here repeatively with the same issues (only reworded and with titles that will lure players in thinking it is IC information) and complaints isn't suddenly going get you a whole new pot of advice. And if your friends are having the same issues and are not offering you any worthwhile advice contact other players. ISRP is designed with a private message feature and an OOC room; use them.

It was a suggestion. It wasn't me saying, 'you posting here isn't wanted, go post somewhere else'. I was trying to convey to him to try something else.

Last edited:

Remove ads