• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A Different Paladin (suggestions pls)

-Avalon-

First Post
Well, I accidentally TPK'ed my group =/ So now I am playing instead of running. The DM has given us freedom of Race/Class/etc so long as it is in one of the accepted areas (Core, Dragon Mag, Dungeon Mag, whatever)... He runs a game that is very open in style, where bluff and insight are very important, and no one is truly innocent... so I decided I would play a merc basically...

Race: Doppelganger
Class: Paladin
Lvl 5

(Gave 30 pts - his houserule)
St 18
Co 12
Dx 10
In 10
Wi 16
Ch 18

Feats:
Healing Hands
Pact Initiate
Toughness

Skills:
Religion +7
Insight +12
Intimidate +11
Diplomacy +11
Bluff +13 (+35)

+2 Rimefire Imposter's Plate
+2 Dynamic Weapon
+1 Holy Symbol
Bag of Holding
Hvy Shield

This is about as far as I have gotten so far... any suggestions, or ideas?

Alas

First Post
With all those disguise abilities and social skills, this character would do well at infiltration, or at least taking the "soft approach" to a job-- go in all smiles and non-threatening, then whip out the divine wrath at the right moment. The question will be finding a patron whose dogma jives with that approach. I'd say you have the makings of an excellent paladin of Sehanine (illusion, trickery), or if you're in Eberron, the Traveler (trickery, shapechangers). I imagine the mercenary paladin's credo would be something like, "Earn from the rich, give to the poor."

I don't really have any suggestions on the mechanical aspects. Personally, I prefer well-rounded defenses, so I would have upped the Dex/Int a little bit to make sure my Reflex was sound, but the paladin's all-around class bonus helps.

-Avalon-

First Post
Well, I was going for Raven Queen as a Deity. Belief of "Everyone Dies, and it is my job to make sure it happens" Seek out hubris, etc... so if I find someone who thinks they have walled themselves in so well that they could live forever and never be touched... well, it is my job to show them the truth, death will sneak in and get you no matter how tall your walls, how well armed and well trained your soldiers.

By the way, my bag of holding contains: Leather Armor, Hide Armor, Chain Armor, Scale Armor, and a Spellbook containing the normal 2 1st level spells (I don't care which ones because I cannot read them anyways)

This way, I always have the armor I need or proper accessories... and if needs arise I can run around a corner, and in 3 minors go from an Elf using a longsword and shield, wearing full plate, to being an elf wielding a sword and spellbook, wearing robes (a fairly typical elven spellcaster)... and if they want, they can check the book and see that I have fairly typical spells in it (yet again, completely useless to me, it may even have rituals, I wouldn't know lol)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads